*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am back to business with the Coffee Lake Terrance Force BIOS by dsanke. My programmer finally came so i flashed it directly.
    Still I had to lower the memory timings from 3200 (12x133) to 2666 (10x133) in order to get the two memory sticks to work. I tried 3000mhz (15x100) ... did not work with two sticks.

I personally do not see point to put 2060 in this laptop, but it will still be a nice experiment.

I am going to test more extensively the option to use a m.2 NGFF adapter PCIe x4 (50$ on aliexpress), these have only 5-10% performance loss compared to the expensive TB3 boxes and cables which have 20-30% performance losses.
    I bought a cheap x1 cable adapter version (7$) just to test if it is working and how exactly to set it up.
    I keep my laptop with the bottom cover open anyway for better cooling and If I need to take the laptop with me just put the cover, never screw the nuts.
    Waiting for my water cooling parts and will unlock the 1070 to 200W put a 9700K and it will become a chilly beast DTR or more like DDT - Desktop Detronator Terminator :).
    I will wait for big Navi and maybe for Christmas will buy RTX3070 or AMD variant.

2. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its not a 2060 its a 2060 super which is basically a standard 2070 maybe 1-5% less in some games.
    So I do see it as a viable upgrade considering its more power efficient overclocks better and lower wattage and has RT cores to play games on the go with ray tracing features.
    And benchmarks better than the 1080gtx i have on the laptop right now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  3. deathwingbg

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried the m.2 NGFF eGPU solutions? I bought the cheap 7$ x1 connector just for the test.

I cannot get it to detect the eGPU. I suppose something needs to be changed in BIOS but there are so many settings.
    I have played with several laptops and eGPUs 4-5 years ago and it was really easy to get the eGPU at least detected using the mPCIe slot.

4. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you use the R43SG M.2 ?

5. deathwingbg

Reputations:
    No, I used the cheapest possible solution with USB cable and x1 signaling. Just wanted to test it and see how it works.
    Knowing my luck the problem is with the cable :), but I would appreciate if someone has any other suggestions as there are so many options in the bios, and I am tired of bricking it. I bricked the BIOS several times, bricked the VBIOS more than 10 times. The system seemed bricked at some point because RAM speed seems incompatible with one of the bios versions for Coffee lake.

Waiting for my water cooling heatsink one of these days, and want to test as much as possible before "fixing" the laptop with the water setup.

So far I unlocked the 1070@200W/215W, successfully ran 9700K in the laptop, figured out that one of the BIOSes does not run with both my RAM sticks@3200mhz. The TF (Terrance Force) BIOS by @dsanke seems to work best with this RAM. The MSI version works with only 1 of the sticks inserted in only one of the slots.

Only thing left is to test the eGPU compatibility over m.2 NGFF.

The 9700K I got is a nice clocker... works great at 5.1Ghz all core but … 3 of the cores overheat terribly- 20-30c difference compared to the other 5(33c difference between core 1 and core 2 is the maximum I saw under load). Intel are unbelievable. I even spoke to their support and asked them to replace the CPU, but all I received was automated messages explaining what the different limits (Current, temperature, etc.) work in their processors. When I told them I know that and their processor works even at 5.1 all core, but the sTIM job is really bad and the CPU throttles due to temperature limit even at default 4.6 all core and Prime95 (AVX) loads, they explained to me that they cannot offer support for overclocked CPUs … WTF Intel?

I tested on both a desktop and a laptop. Delidding is required but since I already killed 2x9900K ES (then moved to Ryzen 3900x setup and forgot about any issue) this 9700k is still under warranty I better not waste my time and just sell it as a desktop bundle to a casual gamer and try my luck with another unit although in the future I will try to stick with AMD.

FrozenLord likes this.
  6. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You wouldn't happen to know the steps you took for getting them to work?
    At the moment, I am struggling with getting an external GPU dock from Lenovo to work and have got a feeling that it is due to my TB3 firmware.
    The Thunderbolt 3 control center is showing my NVM firmware version as version 16.
    This does not change when installing any of the MSI GS63VR TB software bundles that I was able to find :-/

I know that the cable as well as the external GPU work, as I am able to use them without problems on an HP laptop. (NVM firmware version 20)
    On that device, it was a simple plug&play operation, whereas my Tornado F5 does not recognize the GPU / Thunderbolt device when it is connected.

And as a short heads-up, I have just noticed that Eurocom has provided a new EC-firmware (114) and bios (312) on their website: http://downloads.eurocom.com/support/drivers/models/tF5/
    Those seem to have eluded me in the past.
    Has anyone given either update a try yet?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  7. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
    Are we able to upgrade to a RTX 2060 Super? I'm still rocking a 7700K plus GTX1080 and I think its time to start upgrading some the parts on my laptop.

8. deathwingbg

Reputations:
    I burned my GTX1070 last night … (idiot me decided to bench on a new vbios without both fans) …
    Have you quoted a price for the RTX2060s?

Wondering whether I should go for a cheap 970m/980m or this. 1070n is 500$ from china … not worth it :(

Dumb question: Will any MXM3.0 card display picture and boot into Windows?
    Second dumb question: Is there any way to use the CPU GPU? (I know it was hard disabled but worth to try).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's a sidegrade, not an upgrade.

Papusan and deathwingbg like this.
  10. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My dead little beasty :) Still miss it, I could not find any better laptop then that. I would like to buy another 1080 model :)