*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I'm running all drive slots with SSDs, will this prevent the eGPU from working or it will work with less performance only? Seeing an RTX 2080Ti is a huge jump from laptop GTX 1080 makes me want to get it, in the end I can always buy a desktop but that's extra money than buying the GPU and eGPU case.

2. rancid

rancid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought the Razer Core X and put a 2080ti in it no problem hooked up to our laptop. Performance hit is what they said, but even running it through the laptop LCD I still was pulling better benchmarks than the 1080 and obviously it ran a lot cooler. Ultimately the performance did not outweigh having to unhook it and buggy issues like it randomly not picking up coming out of hibernation so I boxed the egpu up and put the 2080ti back in my desktop.

I am hopeful the next wave of Nvidia cards will work with my epgu, I think it will be worth the hassle then not having to upgrade another year.

hmscott, Huniken and FrozenLord like this.
  3. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I might have a solution for anybody wondering whether they should cut holes into the bottom panel, but are hesitant due to the resulting look: drill holes
    For the right side (CPU), I have gone with 2 drilled holes (on the right side in the picture).
    Feel free to ignore the large drill hole as that is directly above the fan's case and will barely provide any benefit - that was me being stupid and not making sure where to drill in the first place.
    Using only a few holes on the CPU's side ensures that the PCH will get enough cooling when under load, and I have just realized that there actually is a gap in the front of my laptop right next to the PCH to let in air...

For the left side (GPU), after drilling without any precise idea where to drill, I have decided on using a cross pattern.
    It's really simple to do if you have any kind of paper with pre-printed lines.
    I chose a 3mm drill and used a paper with 5mm sized squares, drilling down into every other crossing of the lines.

Now I am looking into upgrading the display and would like to benefit from your experience and wisdom :)
    My F5 is equipped with the basic 4k display, according to MonInfo it's the SDC434B 156FL02-101 manufactured in 2014.
    The biggest gripe I have with the display is the lack of colors and contrast.
    After some research, I have come across AUO's B156ZAN03.2 on Panelook and am under the impression that this displays connector and dimensions should fit the F5.
    However, I have read that some people have had problems when using a different display, but I am not sure why that is.
    Do you have any idea, whether I can use the B156ZAN03.2 with the F5 without problems?

Thank you very much in advance.

Attached Files:

hmscott and t456 like this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I didn't have any problems swapping my old 16L13's 1080p/60 IPS display for a 1080p/120 Hz model. I would think as long as the cable works, the panel should.

FrozenLord likes this.
  5. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, now I can buy a 2080Ti then hook it up to my 4K curved 49" TV to play games.

6. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,

I have bought on ebay for a very reasonable price a AUO B156HAN07.0 screen. With a good expert I have it replaced, it seemed good until windows log in, that the screen went black....

I have read back, and I saw some posts that 7.1 works flawlessly, 7.0 sucks big time. Same as with the BTN 5.1 (not good) 5.2 (good) panels.

Is there any new bios which fixes it? I would not like to go back to TN after this amazing IPS, however spending 100USD again for a new screen would put the whole effort out of reason :(

Thx,

7. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I have finally received my new screen: AUO's B156ZAN03.2
    And it is working flawlessly with the Tornado F5 (unmodded BIOS, came with the 4k panel).
    However, should you wish to upgrade / change the display, please take care of the mounting method.
    Even though the panel's active dimensions and connector are correct, I managed to buy a naked screen without the flaps / wings that the F5 uses for mounting and fixing the panel inside the chassis.
    Apparently, those mounting methods differ and I have yet to find the correct nomenclature to google for it.
    (After contacting the seller, it seems to be a different type of screen, having smaller bezels and therefore is supposedly mounted differently - it can however be used inside the F5 using double-sided tape)

And just in case the F5 does not boot after changing the display, feel free to unplug and replug the display.
    I stopped early the first time and the laptop behaved strangely, not POSTing and not showing anything on the screen.
    Unplugging and replugging the connector, pushing it in a little harder this time around, solved the problem for me.

Last but not least: do you guys know of any European shop that sells the B156ZAN03.2?
    I have got mine from eBay and had to go through customs and wait for quite some time.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  8. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,
    Our MSI16L1x has gsync, gpu also, however we change to other gsync panel we loose it. Anyone tried to shoot new clevo vbios into the gpu? From electrical point of view I have learned both gsync and nongsync cards are the same. What do you think? B156Han07.0 gpu is verified by clevo vbios. Or MB bios is also needed to have gsync?
    thx

9. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello. Does anyone have this power button board with a cable from MS16L1 ? Maybe from disassembly ? I can't find it anywhere...

[​IMG]

10. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,
    Could you help me where I can find parts?
    - I have a F5 with 1070
    - I bought a gt73 titan with 1080

I would like to swap the gpus, Once I have managed to put the gt73 1080 in the F5 so I know if it feasible. Backwards (f5's 1070 to gt73) I do not know.

Question: Where I can find heatsink, for F5 I know I need one new, I assume for the gt73 I would need also a new one for the 1070.

Thank you!