*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    dont do it, there is a performance drop with TB between 15-20% on external monitor, internal is up to 30%.
    You better use the M.2 slot with this instead:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/af/R43SG.html
    The performance drop with this is around the 10%

Or dont do it at all, just use the 1080 its capable enough to do whatever you need, maybe not in 4k unless you reduce the resolution of 4K by 10-15% which should not be tragically noticeably.

2. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advise, I'm well aware of performance drops but maybe in the future I actually will still need that external GPU, no upgrades so far to replace the GTX 1080 in our laptop in the market. So I'm just considering a RTX 2080Ti in external GPU box to run connected to my 4K HDR samsung TV, I saw the adapter in your link with Linus, I don't like it as it is messy and have to remove one M.2 drive which I use actually so it leaves me with TB, I just want to confirm if the one in the F5 Tornado actually is Thunderbolt III.

3. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah it should be TB3 but dont know if its the 32 or 40 Gbps for video output
    but you should be good to go

Huniken likes this.
  4. Huniken

Reputations:
    I'll buy one of the eGPU boxes and plug into it a test GPU to see how it work with my laptop, if all is dandy then will look into buying an RTX 2080Ti.

5. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for those who know,do I need a specific bios/vbios if I get barebone of 16L13/16l3 with stock bios,to support the Quadro P4000 or the stock ones doesn't have any problem recognizing and work it? and anyone know if M3000m (maxwell) or firepro cards will work with this unit on-the-go or not.
    thanks in advance

6. Huniken

Reputations:
    Where did you buy your laptop from?

If it is from Eurocom, contact them. If you bought from HIDevolution then maybe @Ted@HIDevolution or @Zoltan@HIDevolution could help you out.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    none.from china as it's much cheaper and closer to us to import with no tax

8. Huniken

Reputations:
    Then you have one last option, contact SVET in the MSI forums, with a little donation he could help you out with his custom BIOS for the laptop.

9. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    M600M works 100%.(the vbios has to support uefi though)

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I ran an Akitio Node with a Tornado F5 back in early 2017. It worked fine with a Founders Edition GTX 1070, other than the fact that the performance was about 20% less than the internal card (the best Firestrike Graphics score I could get was around 14,000). The big issue with it though is that the TB3 PCIe lanes are off of the PCH, so they are limited by the DMI bus which is also used for the SSD's, USB, Ethernet, etc. I much prefer Alienware's design where the processor PCIe lanes are split three ways - 8x for the dedicated GPU, 4x for TB3, and 4x for the AGA. This arrangement leaves DMI bandwidth available for accessory components so things like a fast M.2 SSD does not interfere with eGPU traffic.