*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have the btn panel with is smooth and fast however has fade colors. The 144hz panel is IPS has much better colors with good response time BUT you need new cable as well. The chimei 120hz has also good colors and it is very fast with 120hz. I have that atm, I am fine with it.

2. Alex Etrel

Alex Etrel Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! Tell me, which manufacturer of NVIDIA Quadro P5000 graphics card is suitable for a Eurocom Tornado F5 laptop (MS 16L1) Dell, HP, Fujitsu, Lenovo? What version of video BIOS on the video card will work with this laptop? any?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. mo2k

mo2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, been an owner of one of these since back in August 2017 which I bought off woodzstack back then. It's been a great laptop and still very happy with it, but I have an issue which is driving me crazy at the moment. I have one fan (on the left hand side) randomly spinning up every 5-10 seconds. I did a quick search in this thread and I can see people have been complaining about the fans failing, is there a recommended easy replacement that is "easy" and quick to fit? This noise is driving me crazy and would stop me being able to use the device at work. I wouldn't mind if it was always on, it's the random spinning up which is annoying me. I checked GPUz, CrystalDiskInfo and Task Manager etc, and there's no spike in temperature, CPU activity etc when this random fan spinning happens. One of my SSDs is at 50 degrees but this has been the case since I bought the laptop and the drive is still good. It happens even when the device is idle. It doesn't happen immediately after rebooting, but happens about 10-15 minutes of operation. Thank you for your help. I'm going to have a look in the BIOS see if I can run it at at a constant speed all the time rather than this annoying spin up spin down.

4. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess it is failing. This is an amazing laptop with one small flaw, which is the fan. Buy a new one it is a small investment, and hopefully it goes away. Otherwise install a new windows on a temporary drive and see if it remains... I have had 3 of this laptop, which out of 2 had fan issues. On the other hand it is a pretty stable and durable machine, still better than melting bga chips :)

Aroc and Papusan like this.
  5. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The fan motherboard is died. That is why any manipulations will not give any result. I have 4 such dead fans, over time they will completely cease to work. Perhaps a new fan will solve the problem, but this is not 100%. 2 of my 3 new fans Aavid Thermalloy also stopped working, or did not work already with the purchase. Perhaps, besides the fan, the EC controller could suffer. Or maybe there is a problem with the firmware EC.
    Masters from the service center told me that when 1 of 2 fans is working, in this case the EC controller chip heats up. Therefore, you cannot operate a laptop with 1 fan running.

6. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To tell you the truth, those AAVID fans are crap, they are designed to die after almost one year of use. I replaced them with the ASUS fans, you need to remove 1 screw tab on both sides of the laptop fan housing section which leaves you with 2 intact screw tabs/holes on each side of the fan housing section inside the laptop, once you remove that one screw tab/hole you can install asus fans and secure them using tape, put on the back cover and screw it, job done. But the most important task before installing ASUS fans is that you need to rewire them before the plug, else you will burn the fans. Search this thread for a full guide it is somewhere in here.

Aroc, mat89 and Semmy like this.
  7. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @mo2k or just buy new fan and try it out. If you're looking for easiest and fastest way to fix it.

8. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recently realized that BIOS does show the AC and DC Loadline settings for the GT-partition of my CPU as well.
    This, to me, seemed quite strange because my CPU (6700K) should not be using its integrated GPU, but it seemingly is powered nonetheless.
    When I changed both Loadline settings for GT to 1 (was 0), my maximum CPU Package Power (according to HWInfo64) decreased from about 73W to about 65W (checked after a few hours of Far Cry 5).
    Has anyone experienced similar decreases?

UPDATE: feel free to ignore those values. (GT Loadline AC / DC)
    I have no idea why, but my CPU is still randomly reporting spikes in power use and the GT Loadlines are still set to 1, but don't seem to change the situation at all.

On top of that, my CPU seemed to misbehave when mildly overclocked - it would reduce core clock under load without any clear indication as to why.
    After some research (and having a thorough look at HWInfo64) I saw the RSR-flag being turned on.
    Seemingly, this feature should prevent the CPU from being damaged, at least that's the way it is marketed.
    However, it does seem to misread the values when overclocking and should therefore be disabled in BIOS.
    (I was previously not able to find any clear indication what it is and did not disable it, in spite of the OC Guide listing this as a recommended "disable")

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Huniken likes this.
  9. Huniken

Reputations:
    So, since there is no way for me to see an RTX 2080Ti or GTX 1080Ti in our laptop, any one tried those external GPU boxes with the backside USB-C port? Do they work?

10. Huniken

Reputations: