*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you very much!

2. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    PCH runs cool now with max fans, when max fans are off, it is still cool too with an air pad.

For SSD, I have put a thermal pad on it, works ok.

3. Huniken

Reputations:
    This taken after a gaming session. The driver was updated and didn't use a voltage curve so it got hot. Doesn't matter how much watt it pulled, voltage is the one culprit to increase heat.

4. VVoody

VVoody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's both, really. The previous faults have all been incredibly minor: it often hangs on shutdown, doesn't start up properly and had an issue with the screen backlight not activating with modern drivers.

The issue now is that the major fault: the green dots and error 43 (cause unknown, likely the driver?) have combined with the previously minor faults in an unfortunate way.

Hmmm, where to start.

So the splash screen is entirely static, if it appears at all. I have managed to get into the BIOS management screen twice, but most recently it did crash when I was within the BIOS.

The green dots only appear after the Windows loading icon appears, which does suggest (I believe) that it's a driver issue.

Windows doesn't let me connect a secondary screen; it gives me a "reinstall the driver, or try a different GPU" message. I have tried connecting a second screen anyway, but there is no signal.

I have also tried the CMOS reset button, but it does not appear to be effective.

Unfortunately the crash within the BIOS seems to have stopped the laptop loading at all, which is what I feared would happen.

I'm sure that the laptop is fixable, but I am sure that my technical skills are simply not up to the job.

Does anyone know if the Eurocom team in Europe does repairs?

5. qwerty8224

qwerty8224 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

gt63 titan rtx2080

6. matyee

Reputations:
    Perfect!
    Guys, does it mean we will have 2080 for the F5? :) As I see it is a dedicated gpu, the only question is the heatsink! What do you think?

7. qwerty8224

qwerty8224 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @matyee
    no rtx 2080 (((((it is too big)
    there is hope for rtx2070

8. matyee

Reputations:
    2070 is not an upgrade comparing to 1080... 2080 would be the ideal :)

9. Huniken

Reputations:
    I'm content with the GTX 1080 for some years to come. Unless there is a mobile GPU that is twice as powerful. With my CPU being 8700K 6 Cores 12 Threads, I consider my EVOC Typhoon build or EVOLUTION to be complete, it is fully loaded and future proofed. Working out it's quirks was a true pleasure with the help of all the members of this community.

I want to thank this community for their help getting me here, a poor lad who was able to build his dream machine the way it is today.

Also thank you @Donald@HIDevolution and @Ted@HIDevolution for brining the EVOC-G-1080 into our hands, best store to buy laptops period.

Jan Prochnica and Papusan like this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    a very minor upgrade IMO considering the benchmarks we've seen. I expected mind blowing performance for a GPU that is replacing a 3 year old GPU lineup. Very disappointing.

Papusan likes this.