*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. skyFox90

skyFox90 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some new 4k screen? I want to check if mine will work with new dsanke bios and new the new driver nvidia.. i still have the one from february 2017!

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can but you shouldn't play any games on it because it can trigger overload shut off which will cause the system to turn off abruptly.

Jan Prochnica and hmscott like this.
  3. Chuzzz

Chuzzz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No display improvement using dsanke bios with B156HAN07.0, unfortunately. Still no brightness control, and stuck on NVIDIA driver 378.92 (black screen on anything later).

skyFox90 likes this.
  4. skyFox90

Reputations:
    Still no one know how to fix that problem.. i am in the same situation with my 4k display..

5. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting as I have dsanke bios and I have replace the screen to chimei 120hz, which works with no issue (knock on wood)

6. Jan Prochnica

Jan Prochnica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've found following IBM adapter

https://www.ebay.com/p/IBM-Lenovo-A...-Place-Kiosk-4838-POS-System-Tested/704838736

Everything looks promising, plug shape is the same, voltage almost the same, power output sufficient for low load in travel, however, plug pins have different signs, they're like 90* rotated:

IBM adapter:

Do you think is it possible to safely re-wire plug? can it work, or might there be some more hidden , dangerous differences that can cause damage?

Attached Files:

Kevin@GenTechPC and ryzeki like this.
  7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    No, voltage and ground is all.

You can't re-wire the plug itself since it's molded, but you can re-arrange and re-solder the wires in the cable to accomplish the same result. Just make sure to use a multimeter; not only for verification it is working (and check for inadvertent shorts), but also to identify the polarity of the individual wires. They're usually black plus white or blue and you could gamble on that, but I'd want to make dead certain before hooking it up ...

There's two options;
    1. Splice all three or four wires inside the cable and measure each's voltage while the adapter is plugged in. Have to be a it careful here and make sure none of them are close to one another.
    2. Open the two adapter halves and measure the cables by setting the multimeter to resistance, one pen at the exposed wire and the other at the wire end where it's soldered to the adapter's pcb. This way you don't have to measure a 'hot' adapter. The brick will open quite easily by wedging a broad screwdriver or a big, fat kitchen knife in-between the two sections. Re-assemble with black duct tape or a bit of glue.

8. skyFox90

Reputations:
    I tried to speak with Svet but no answer after 3 days, someone know if he release a new version of his bios?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sometimes he "disappears" doing personal stuff, he might be sick or on vacation, then he comes back, you need to be patient. Look for new postings from him, sometimes that helps - but may only indicate he is back and responding to posts and email and may still take some time to get to your request. Be nice and understanding in posts and email, it goes a long way to getting a response.

10. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I know I'm not the only one to experience such a problem when replacing ****ty stock fans with ASUS ones, the PCH doesn't get enough air movement because of the bottom hole mods, so I need to add that copper block to it.

hmscott likes this.