*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
  2. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have tried thermal pads with those exact dimensions but my GPU would go into a short-time throttle states after some time.
    The problem seems to be similar to this one: Alienware 17 R4 GTX1080 in game random Stutter & Freeze
    One of my assumptions was that the gaps might be a little bit wider and I tried using liquid thermal pads (K5 Pro) in a different attempt.
    But I have yet to find a definitive solution because those stutters are still there :-(
    (I just ordered 1.5mm thermal pads and will redo the thermal pads again)
    Does anyone else have these stutters?
    And is there any source for a heatsink replacement or maybe even an improved one? (I would require the 1080 version)

Thank you in advance :)

3. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do not know your laptop setups, but based on my tests this machine is not able to cool down more than 150-160W properly. Direct die CLU could help - that one I have not tested - but MSI AB Curve could solve the heat issue without sacreficing too much performance (actually none).

4. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah, you are right, sorry.
    I am running Windows 10 x64 (1803, 17134.523)
    6700K @ 4.2 GHz
    1080 GTX with an Afterburner curve that limits the voltage to 0.875 V and driver version 417.58

The stutters in my case are just that: sudden drops in FPS.
    It seems that even though my CPU and GPU are running along at decent temperatures, the GPU clock will sometimes drop to idle levels:
    upload_2019-1-12_21-25-36.png upload_2019-1-12_21-27-11.png

I have yet to find the culprit but my current bet is on the GPU's heatsink having not the best connection to the GPU's chips (despite using K5-Pro)
    Running Furmark for 40 minutes (it's still running) does not show sudden drops to those low frequencies, but will rather reduce its clock speed to keep at temperatures near 90°C.
    upload_2019-1-12_21-50-50.png

And just shy of 45 minutes (at 43:52) it started showing drops in frequency down to 139 MHz:
    upload_2019-1-12_21-54-7.png
    The power draw, according to HWInfo64, was fluctuating between 100W and 150W before that.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. matyee

Reputations:
    May be it is well known, however for Dsanke mod bios:

LEFT Alt + RIGHT Control + RIGHT Shift +F2 (press F2 as last button) - and VOILA you have access to hidden menus, such as LLC, OC whatsoever :)

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That bit before the throttle in the last pic shows cpu spiking to 100% before the throttle starts, and GPU usage dropping, that suggests it's not purely a gpu issue (cpu bottleneck => gpu is idle => clocks down). I think you might find that if you force the gpu to maximum performance (instead of 'optimal' or 'adaptive' power savings) in Nvidia control panel, your gpu will not drop to 139mhz but you'll still get the stutters. I find hwinfo cpu frequency readings unreliable. Have Throttlestop open and watch the average cpu multiplier, if you set speedshift to 1 it should run at max multi constantly (42.00 in your case) so anything less than that is a throttle, look in the hwinfo64 sensors window under Limits for clues

It could also be the pch or secondary vrm somewhere on the motherboard that's overheating, yet not show a throttle flag at all... sometimes a notebook cooler adding airflow that can fix things like this

Huniken, FrozenLord and Papusan like this.
  7. matyee

Reputations:
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    eDP is the connector, you should be able to reuse the existing cable.

9. matyee

Reputations:
    Could you link me a cable from eg ebay... I tried to seach for edp 40 pin, but I have found many of them...

10. Erick182

Erick182 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i used my old 40 pin, 4 lanes edp cable that comes with the samsung 4k monitor

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.