*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You know the reason you're throttling is *BECAUSE* your GPU is throttling right?
    You're complaining about lower scores.
    Look at your GPU!
    Look at HWINFO
    It clearly says "POWER LIMIT- THERMAL" is FLAGGED ON.
    I honestly don't understand.
    You see that, but you're complaining about lower scores.
    It's right in front of your eyes. Not trying to insult you but come on...you answered your own question.

Repaste your GPU. The old paste is clearly dried out and not working at all.

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not throttling during firestrike though.. sometimes vrel but that's common.. notice clocks for GPU are still 1750.. it's just not 1835..

I can undervolt and underclock slightly to get rid of those, nowhere near 25% underclock, maybe 3%, where it's not exhibiting any perfcap.. and I still get 13500-14200 where it should be something like 16800-17300.. unless that 17800 I scored back in oct was a fluke.. but I recall pulling a lot of high 16000 and low 17000 while doing a small amount of tweaking. There's nothing here that shows me why every benchmark I run is telling me 25-30% performance loss. Even that throttling above the card is still running pretty high clocks. Is there something intrinsic in the throttle where it can appear the metal is running close to where it should be but it's deceiving?

I can do the undervolt again and get rid of all those throttle indicators and it'll still be a firestrike drop of 3K or around 25% at least.. I tried other benchmarks like superposition and the same, way lower than a 7700K+1080 should be. I would think the clocks that seem close to where a 1080 should run don't lie, but maybe there's something else afoot.

I'll see if I can apply the TIM this weekend and see what that does, but I don't have high hopes for it given the undervolt to keep it below 90 didn't help. If that doesn't help I have an m.2 ssd laying around, I'll throw that in and use the system restore USB I bought from hidevolution and see if there's something Windows related going on.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are these F5 heat sinks made out of aluminum and just copper plated? I've been working on this with alcohol pads for an hour... IC diamond was on here previously I think..

If so I'm screwed, can't put LM on this garbage

EDIT: bah.. did it anyway.... i'll buy a new heatsink if it comes down to I ruined it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    well... still getting Power and Reliability Voltage "throttling" .. if running at 1800+ for the whole test is throttling...
    81C max now with LM ... re-delidded and LM'd the CPU .. that maxed at 82... It was LM under the IHS previously so it stands to reason that didn't get a huge benefit..

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/15725194/fs/13778386
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Falkentyne likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Hi,
    The heatsinks are NOT copper plated. It's a full copper block. it's just aluminum around the edges (or another material, i don't know if it's aluminum or another metal). The copper section is pure copper.

Reliability voltage "limits" is normal, even desktop cards have that. It just means that the card can't boost any higher because the current voltage is limiting the clock speed or otherwise it would crash instantly.

Power Limit on an unmodded 1080 is normal. It means you bypassed 200W TDP so you hit the power limit. I actually thought the power limit of a 16L13 1080 was 150W. Does that card have an external power connector?

6. CuttingEdge_

CuttingEdge_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try to use MSI GT62VR camera drivers. That worked for me in the past

hfm likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like mxm 3.0 with no other connectors, I didn't take the card out or study it closely though.

I guess if reinstalling Windows doesn't help I'm down to the super mystery performance drop. Clocks look good (they always did, I didn't expect reapplying TIM to help much).

8. skyFox90

skyFox90 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you read my old post i was with the same trouble, i still using my 4k display B156ZAN02.3 that looking perfect, but i still can't update to newer nvidia drivers, however if you will find a solution let us know.

Chuzzz likes this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @hfm , just been reading your posts about CPU/GPU performance issues. Looks like you've got your CPU issue sorted - good. Low GPU scores you're seeing in Firestrike - are you using the Ctrl-F Afterburner curve and locking a frequency & voltage? I tried doing that on my desktop GPU, and it's possible that if you choose a frequency that is way too high for the voltage you're setting then it will not crash but instead show really poor performance (close to stock). I saw this happening on my GPU when I locked something silly like 2100Mhz at 1.0V. If you are using the Ctrl-F Afterburner curve, then I suggest as a test that you set everything in Afterburner to stock and then just do a traditional offset overclock - e.g. +100Mhz on the core or something (whatever is stable) - then take a look at your scores. Pascal GPUs sometimes behave very stangely with the Ctrl-F Afterburner curve when it's not set up right - I'm personally not a fan of that curve - just try a traditional offset Mhz overclock instead as a test (you know...using the Mhz slider rather than the Ctrl-F curve).

saturnotaku likes this.
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even if you're not overclocking, setting a custom voltage curve can do wonders. At stock frequencies and voltage, my 1080 was seeing slightly less than expected performance. The system wouldn't pass the 3DMark stress test, with ratings in the 93-94 percent range. After more time than I care to admit, I eventually got the curve set in a satisfactory way. It achieved greater than 97 percent in the stress test, and it got higher, more consistent frame rates.