*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And they say RAM isn't important for gaming... :rolleyes: ;)

raz8020 and hfm like this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I definitely think something is holding it back that has nothing to do with CPU or GPU throttling. I see nothing in task manager taking up any CPU time of note though. (maybe 1-2% between some random system processes and Steam) It seems we're talking a 10-15% performance hit here on CPU in Cinebench, which is also nearly the same difference in Fire strike for the physics score (9.8%). But my graphics score is 23% lower, could be because of the CPU but that seems like a rather large drop in GFX score. I double checked my memory was still running in dual channel (seems like it would be physically impossible for a pair of sticks to suddenly go single-channel out of nowhere.. :p)

Stumped..

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The other thing I find .. er.. mildly annoying is that every time I reset prema bios to defaults it sets the turbo power max to 1W, which as you can imagine ends up making the system crawl until I fix it permanently in XTU. Makes me wonder if there is some bios setting that is causing this but I just don't know what it is. Maybe @Prema can help? :)

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Tried a NVRAM reset? A Clean up could help.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sometimes NVRAM can't help it, when I changed the IMON value to negative -31999 for benchmarking I couldn't see the machine making a difference when I wanted to disable it, NVRAM doesn't cut it, had to disconnect CMOS battery to reset BIOS....CMOS battery mode was a really essential mode by @Mr. Fox .

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there,

I have recently bought a Eurocom Tornado F5 and love the machine :)
    However, after reading several hundred pages of this thread and still not nearing the end of the tunnel, I'd like to ask for your advice:

1. I bought my machine from Skylake_ and he did the fan mod, removing the bottom chassis directly below the fans.
    After doing some benchmarks, I noticed that my PCH would hover around the high 80s to low 90s - which is a bit much, in my opinion. (it is summer over here and the room did have a temperature just shy of 30°C)
    Several search attempts in this thread seem to indicate that this increase in temperature is due to the changed air flow.
    But one attempt with copper fins aside, I have not seen any solutions to this.
    Is there any best practice yet, on how to keep the PCH cool, when the laptop has undergone this modification and is not being used on external fans?
    (So far, I have put some shock absorber for speakers below the back, so that the fans are raised by about 2cm, and have undervolted the CPU core / cache as well as the system agent)

2. My device gives off a strange sound / noise every now and then (once or twice per day?).
    The rough location seems to be the left fan (sitting at the keyboard, it appears to originate from the left back of the device) or GPU.
    And it sounds like wood that is still setting or a relais that switches, so quite strange :-D
    Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you very much for any support or hints :)

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    1. PCH mod... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...6-owners-lounge.797128/page-722#post-10570737

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...6-owners-lounge.797128/page-686#post-10556803

Latest post means latest mod.

2. Buy spare fans. The fans MSI used for this and some other models isn’t best quality. They don’t last very long.

8. agouraLee

agouraLee Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you download the drivers for the built in camera? I don't think any of these drivers are for the camera of the Tornado F5 after looking at the following. These are all the drivers they list for the Tornado F5.
    Audio download download download
    CardReader download download download
    Chipset download download download
    Hotkey download download download
    IME download download download
    IntelWLAN download download download
    IRST download download download
    KillerWLAN download download download
    LAN download download download
    NVME download download download
    RAID download download download
    SBX download download download
    Thunderbolt download download download
    TouchPad download download download
    USB3 download download
    Video_NVIDIA_10xx download download download
    Video_NVIDIA_9xxM download download download
    VideoQUADRO download download download

Also, my fan on the right side (backspace button side) is not turning on ever. Is there an easy fix to this? Thank you for your time and input.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fans on these are extremely poor quality.

Hmm. Not sure which would be the web cam...

agouraLee likes this.
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've run out of options to try, I've fiddled with so many settings at this point, still 3K points down in Firestrike. I've got the CPU running at 4700 solid, finally scoring over 1000 in Cinebench but still slightly under @Papusan's 4700 score but it's within acceptable range. It looks like strangely that maybe the GPU is underutilized. Perhaps pointing at some power issue, but it's unclear. Nothing seems to be unstable at all, just slower than it should be. GPU clocks look ok, CPU clocks look ok. Pretty much every benchmark I throw at it has it coming in way under where a 7700K+1080 should be sitting. Highest I've been able to muster in Firestrike is around 14400, which is 1070 land.. I don't see any other process taking up any statistically meaningful CPU time.

I've even poured of the nv cpl settings to make sure something there isn't set correctly. Nada.

Here's a shot of hwinfo while heaven is running. Looks ok outside of temp. I could just do the LM repaste, but I feel like it'll be cooler with the same perf. I'm never actually hitting 90C when doing a firestrike run.

[​IMG]