MSI 1070 in Alienware 17 R1 Ranger SUCCESS!!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by loafer987, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    loafer987 likes this.
  3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    you can mention me all you like, no issues. I don't mind helping people, but people should know ahead of time that if they buy a product from someone they should get support from that person too. I don't mind helping people, really, but its way more fun helping people try new things, rather then support the clients of competitors by providing them the tech support that thier seller did not provide.

bennyg likes this.
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Oh I fully understand, just been working a lot trying to get things in order and wasn't thinking about the context after the point of his post not being able to install the driver.

All is well :)

5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    good share !

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. mpechura

mpechura Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys
    Loafer's thread inspired me to upgrade my Alienware 17 R1 (240v) with a new video card. I'm choosing between a GTX 1070, 1060 and 980M.
    I've upgraded to a 120hz screen (with the help of LTN173HT02-T01 and N392W). Confirming that a 120hz screen works with AMD Radeon HD8970M on a 17R1.

I had a couple of questions for Loafer mostly but any feedback is welcome.

1) Have you solved all the performance issues you had with your 1070?
    2) Do you think that you are in fact getting better performance than you would on a GTX 980M (or a 1060) given the limitations of an R1?
    How much a 1070 better than a 980?
    3) Should I care about the maker of a video card (MSI vs Clevo vs Eurocom)?
    4) Why did you go for an MSI over Eurocom 115w that Woodzstack sells too? Eurocom seems like a much easier upgrade (their size being right and no power-throttling problem)?

Thanks

Max

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    1070 is basically 980m sli with perfect scaling.

Eurocom GPU's are trash quality and tend to blow up while being more expensive with extremely short warranty.

Msi cards are over built, essentially being the top quality version of the 1070 available to us. That being said there is the zotac and "dell" versions as well which both serve there purpose quite well.

hmscott likes this.
  8. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Eurocom version didn't exist when I did this upgrade. I bought my 1070 from woodzstack. I upgraded from the 980m so here's benchmarks from both.
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18269481/fs/11261567#
    Full UEFI windows 10 install is required BEFORE you install the 10xx series card.
    Modded drivers are also required.
    My performance issues were due to overheating MOSFETs using the stock heatsink. I have upgraded to the all copper 5 pipe heatsink from eBay. It required a couple small Dremel mods like the stock one but it performs much much better than the stock one. I haven't had an issue or a temp over 75*c since the upgrade.

Honestly the only hard part was modding the chassis to fit the oversized card. Don't forget this also requires you give up your optical drive.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

long2905, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  9. mpechura

Reputations:
    Guys, thanks so much for your feedback.

With your help I just successfully upgraded my Alienware 17 R1 (240W power adapter) from Radeon HD8970M to Dell GTX 1070. Got a Firestrike score of 11k. It will improve once I move from my current 3-pipe ATI heatsink to a 5-pipe copper one.

At first I was unsure if I had the skill to pull off the upgrade but in the end it wasn't that hard and I made some notes to encourage any potential candidates to go with the upgrade.

I had an ATI Radeon card before and if you have one too it MEANS you've GOT a 60hz screen with an LVDS cable.
    You need to upgrade to a 120hz screen with an eDP connector. Intel integrated GPU will be disabled after the upgrade.
    To do that you need LTN173HT02-T01 (or similar) and N392W cable. Radeon HD8970 does WORK with a 120hz edp screen.

I have to say I WASN'T impressed with the LTN173HT02 when upgrading from the original 60hz screen. I think the colours aren't that good. You get used to them after an hour or so but at first I felt it was a LOWER quality screen than the original (I don't know if it's true, though). I would dedicate some time to find the best 120hz screen to for your 17.
    Your main thread to help you with this step:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/120hz-3d-screen-upgrade-for-alienware-17-r1.758711/

The embedded youtube video on that page is extremely helpful. It will teach you how to strip your laptop into its parts (and you'll have to to replace that lvds cable with an eDP cable).
    This video shows how to replace the screen:

Some notes:
    - You need a 240w ac adapter. If you’ve got the 180w version, you can simply order a new 240w.
    - I didn't need to unlock BIOS (makes your task so much easier). But I had to mod the .inf, disable signature enforcement and change some bios settings (Set to UEFI mode. Disabled fastboot, legacy options and adapter warning).
    - I had to convert my HDD from MBR to GPT. WIth EaseUS Partition Master I DIDN'T even have to reinstall Windows (the whole process takes like 10 minutes with no input from you).
    - Didn't have to cut/dremel the chassis or any plastic with the Dell variant of the 1070 (others are Eurocom, MSI and Clevo). The dell one is the correct size (mxm 3.0b, 82mm x 105mm).
    - ATI 3 pipe heatsink fits the Dell 1070 perfectly (you have it if your laptop originally came with an ATI card).
    - You don't have to mod the heatsink yourself (those heatsink modes seemed a bit out-of-reach for me techinical skill-wise). You can buy 5 pipe one here:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/All-copper-for-DELL-ALIENWARE-17-RANGER-M17X-R3-R4-GPU-Cooling-Heatsink-0VH0YK/253771766989?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The main resources to help you with the business of preparing the system for the GPU swap and then actually swapping the GPUs (in addition to this thread, obviously):
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...other-socket-victory-against-bga-crap.803637/
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10982-m17x-r4-gtx-1060-upgrade/

Here's a very readable and short guide how to mod the .inf file:
    http://null-bin.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

For my Dell 1070 I used the following lines to mod the .inf:
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1.05AE.1028% = Section230, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BA1&SUBSYS_05AE1028
    NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1.05AE.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    IVHOTEP and long2905 like this.
  10. mpechura

Reputations:
    Loafer, a couple of questions that require your particular expertise.

1) Do you think I need thermal pads for the 5-pipe copper sink?
    2) What GPU temperature would you never go above?
    3) Do you think overclocking CPU would help my GPU firestrike score?
    4) What screen you got? Is there a high quality and vibrant colour 120 hz screen?

Thanks

Max

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.