MSI 1070 in Alienware 17 R1 Ranger SUCCESS!!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by loafer987, Nov 5, 2016.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    @loafer987

Did you ever try the unlocked bios to see if you could fix the seemingly artificial limit on the laptop?

2. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, unless they have made it so it flashes directly to secure boot its too risky and too much work for me to dismantle my laptop and reset the bios. I have upgraded to the 4 pipe copper heatsink from ebay. i had a couple fitment issues but I am 100% stable at 4ghz and havent had the urge to push further. I need the laptop to be 100% stable for gaming and lan weekends and 200mhz really isnt worth the edge of stability. I have been interested in fan profile upgrades and microcode benefits but again the risk makes it difficult.

triturbo, hmscott and Ashtrix like this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Even if you had issue there is emergency backlash procedures for this laptop

4. loafer987

Reputations:
    ive run into the problem before and the issue is the gpu. I cant boot even on a full bios reset because of the 1070. I have to install an older non-uefi gpu to boot, then reset all my bios settings, swap back to my 1070 and hope I got it all perfect, then cross my fingers i dont have to do it all over again when I reinstall the 1070. The biggest issue with this is i don't have a spare gpu at the moment, so I would have to spend money on a gpu just to try it.

hmscott likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Sound reasoning.

Guess I'll just have to hope for the best when ever I can make the purchase myself.

6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    There is a msi gtx 1070 on ebay right now for $399 , no sli connector...

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Wish I could snag it, but I'm strapped for cash for a while. Had some medical issues that had to take priority.

What ever I do it will either come down to the msi 1070 or the rx 480 pending I could get it cheap enough.

And once again I do appreciate sharing the experience from you guys, at the very least helps me with a future decision.

triturbo likes this.
  8. javers

javers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Loafer,

My version of the unlocked bios (A14+) solves this problem by having pure uefi as the default after a bios reset. I've also recently discovered after going through the schematics, there's actually a cmos reset point on the motherboard of the R1 so no need to dismantle, pull ram cmos battery etc.

Javers

9. loafer987

Reputations:
    This is excellent news. Have you also updated the microcode to the a15 version for the specter/meltdown fixes? Do you have a picture of the cmos reset location?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

10. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    CMOS Reset / Clear ME contact points.
    [​IMG]
    But it's hidden beneath the battery bay, hard/not possible to reach out to it. Need some soldering and switch that would do the job.

Sorry I forgot that fact about Javer's A14+'s UEFI default option. I updated it but somehow I forgot your post, Glad that Javers posted it !!

Papusan, loafer987 and hmscott like this.