MSI 1070 in Alienware 17 R1 Ranger SUCCESS!!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by loafer987, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1060 will still require heatsink mods and 120hz display. if they have the lvds (60hz) display and dont wish to mod the heatsink then 980m is that fastest option available.

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    it does and worked without much of any issue. Heatsink will need to be fitted, like any of the pascal cards.

Keep in mind yes, eDP display needed for Pascal here on in...

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @woodzstack
    What if my Alien is running in optimus mode? Would any of the Pascal based MXM modules work in an optimus setup, therefore bypassing the need for a 120HZ display? Since in an optimus setup all frames rendered by the dedicated card have to be passed through to the integrated card on the CPU, and in this case only the integrated card is directly outputting to the display, I'm thinking this could compensate for the fact that Pascal based cards do not support LVDS and only eDP display outputs.

If the card absolutely has to be used as the primary display card, then I'm lucky that the AW Ranger has both an LVDS and an eDP output, but I'd really like to avoid spending more money than I have to on this upgrade. Plus, I'd really like to keep my 5hr and 30min (+/- 17 minutes depending on cpu load during web browsing) battery life if at all possible.

4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    You know - INTEL HD has the ability to do this, it seems, but at the same time, when I tested it, the last version refused to install on Alienware's. Like the November patch which added Pascal support. I have not been able to test it since, because my last Alienware rig is sold :S

5. loafer987

Reputations:
    Alright guys. Im back from the dead. I just finally got my 1070 reinstalled back into my AW17. My first card had to go for warranty as I believe heat killed the power circuit (VRM) portion of the board. My GPU temps were very reasonable, but I was having some strange happenings when I was gaming or benchmarking for longer periods of time. One day while gaming I got a strange screen with blocky artifacts and that was it... no more gpu.
    So that's why I fell off the earth for a month or two.
    The reason I am back is show off my new custom heatsink. I added the photos to my onedrive link so you can all see the planning that went into adding a heatpipe for the VRM section of the gpu. I also added more aluminum fins from another broken 100W heatsink I had lying around. I stole the extra heatpipe from an M18x R2 gpu heatsink. I heated it with a butane torch until it separated from the heatsink and used arctic silver thermal adhesive to attach the heatpipe to my heatsink and to the new row of fins for cooling the VRM's. I am hoping to give the card a longer testing run this weekend so I will keep you all updated here.

Here again is my onedrive link:
    https://1drv.ms/a/s!AhdpwHSIEN-vm3WH3bn4pa2hCL90

For those of you that are too lazy here is the basic idea:

Attached Files:

imest, TBoneSan, Aroc and 6 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nice job:) +rep

Ashtrix and loafer987 like this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    @loafer987 Your sig says 2133MHz does the AW17 support that ? Did you use Thaipoon burner for that ? If yes please share the brand which one was able to run that high clock, Thanks.

I was looking at GSkill Ripjaws 2133MHz 16GB kit to run it on 1866MHz good CL timings aswell. Since I read that AW17 doesn't run clocks that high.. Although I think no one tried, Mr Fox did that on AW18 but with some XTU+Thaipoon burner tweaking I guess..

Papusan likes this.
  8. loafer987

Reputations:
    I literally threw it in and it booted at 2133. Gskill rip jaws 4x8gb kit. Only the extreme edition processors will run those speeds though. Any standard i7 cpu is not capable.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  9. D4ddy

D4ddy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

Well done, this is huge, congrats for sharing your nice work! Old gen AW is kicking brand new BGA, I like that :)

I have one thing to ask you Loafer, if you don't mind giving a few details on your mod. This is about the copper stripe that you added to cool the mosfets:

[​IMG]
    How did you stick it to the heatsink? It's not soldered, so what product did you use? Thermal adhesive, is it same as thermal paste? Is it strong enough, and as efficient as thermal paste? How much did you use? I'm interested about modding a heatsink so any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  10. loafer987

Reputations:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.