Msi 1013 (s270)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by scoot1212, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoot1212

scoot1212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anybody have this laptop or the S260 model? I am looking from some personally experiences with it.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know several personal accounts on German forums. They are mostly positive.
    I already wrote about it here. I could collect some links or answer your questions.
    I am not an owner mysleft, but I have seen it in the shop.

3. scoot1212

scoot1212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have read some reviews and some mentioned that the keyboard had a lot of flex. also i haven't been able to see a 12.1 wxga screen in person. i was wonder how useable is it? also the fan noise. i can't deal with a laptop that the fan is on/off every few seconds. if you can help i would appreciate it.
    thanks
    scott

4. seandm

seandm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have one. just bought it last week from pc club here in phoenix for 1199, popped in 1gb of pc3200 and a 5400 hd, as the machine comes stocked with 256mb and 4200 hd. Battery life with stock battery is easily over 3 hrs, system never seems to run hot and is so light its amazing. everyone has commented on it, of course they all ask how one can read anything on a 12" screen. i would say the msi270 is a direct competitor to the sony thin and light segment, but for half the price.

5. seandm

Reputations:
    i should add that i would recommend one have pc club or whomever do the assembly. everything in this machine is so tiny and fragile, that a klutz like me is bound to destroy it. i had to use tweezers to dis-assemble and then re-assemble after swapping out the two mods.

6. Artwjp

Artwjp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    S270/MSI 1013 is probably the first avaible Turion-based laptop PCs with MT chips in the market. Most other vendors only have ML, higher enery-cost, CPUs such as thos in HP/Compaq and Acer.

7. GunnerVIII

GunnerVIII Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im also looking at the msi s270, unfortunately i havent been able to find a shop that sells them close to me, after reading a few reveiws the only unanswered question i have is the noise - which would largely influence my deciding to buy this notebook or not.

8. seandm

Reputations:
    the fan noise is there, but it is so quiet that it really isnt an issue. i've had 2 other athlon 64 laptops and both of them sounded like jets taking off once they started getting hot.

9. brianstretch

brianstretch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  10. exawatt

exawatt Newbie

Reputations:
    I just picked up one of the 1013's and I am very impressed with the display and the build of the machine its self.. I am very picky with displays ooh so picky. This was my biggest concern with purchasing the notebook and not being able to see it first. I just so happen to live in SLC UT so I called up XMELD and talked to Dave for a while. After talking to Dave for a while he offered to bring a 1013 down for me to play with (ofcourse I was more than willing to execpt).
    I have been playing with the machine for a couple days now so heres a couple pros and cons:

PROS:
    Display: A++++ (go look at a sony s460 display this is better)
    Build quality: A++ very sturdy no flexing even the display as thin as it is.
    Keyboard: typing feel is good takes a little getting use to the the key positioning.
    Track Pad: Good senitivity not overly active.

CONS:
    Track Pad: Buttons are odd and hard to push..
    Speakers: Well there worthless but what can you expect for the size.
    Keyboard: There is a little flex to it but you can take the palm rest off and fix it.

Well thats all the bad I can find. I wouldnt say bad but not the best all is functional.

I highly suggest this notebook for the traveling IT Professionals or anyone on the go..

Let me know if you want any pictures for detail and Ill see what I can do..

One last thing give XMELD a call I have never had such good customer service they have my business.
    WWW.XMELD.COM

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.