MSI 1012 or MSI 1013...Confused!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by smiley_lauf, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoot1212

scoot1212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    have you checked out the msi forum on laptoplogic? there are a few good threads over there pertaining to the 1013. you may want to consider getting ddr 400 ram instead. personally i don't have any experience with any desktop or laptop with more than 1 gig so i can't comment on that. i would personally stay away from toshiba hard drives. check out the ibm 7k100 series. more money but from what i understand well worth it. if you want the intel version discountlaptops sell the pronote model at a good price pre-built.
    good luck
    scott

2. smiley_lauf

smiley_lauf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was wondering of there were any offers for this? Tah,
    SL

3. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i don't think so: top turion has 2 times smaller L2 cash, so that saves you 50-100$ vs. pentium-m at the cost of performance: you get what you've paid for.

4. scoot1212

Reputations:
    go to your favorite computer parts store and compare intel vs amd chips. for the most part, you will pay more for the intel chip. like i said personally i think intel is over priced. i don't think the extra money is worth it.
    scott

5. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sempron and Turion may be good competitors of Intel Celeron M chips,
    but not of Pentium M. I personally prefer to pay more $50-100 (actually,
    I have to pay more 50-100Euro here) to get better performance.

I also think, that if someone is producing cheaper chips which are cheaper only because they don''t match the top market available parameters, then this product should be treated as second class and priced respectively.

AMD competition of Intel is more a marketing story than a reality, though it may change in future, and it's good so.

6. scoot1212

Reputations:
    you can think what you want of amd. if the the pentium m is so great than why do laptops that are using the latest centrino packages have heat problems? the revised dv1000, t43 and sony 460 all experience heat problems.
    scott

7. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, they do, and the laptops using amd chips even more so, if you think of the heat-per-performance. I also consider as an advantage of PM chips vs. AMD ones that the former switch off when overheated while the latter just burn down. My impression is that gloryfication of AMD chips has some ideological flavour (similar to the anti-nuclear energy movement) rather than based on the real performance per cost value.

8. scoot1212

Reputations:
    this can go on all day...you think intel is better and i think amd is better...let's leave it at that.
    scott

9. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :) ...........

10. Goren

Goren Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    read this thread in regards to P-M (Dothan) vs Turion
    http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources/articles/42/1/1/

it basically opted for Turion. performance and battery life were roughly the same (P-M having very slightly more life, while t urion having very slightly more performance).. but was significantly cheaper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.