MSFS 2020 Coming soon August

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jul 14, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OK more horse beating is about to happen...

1. Performance didn't improve going to the GFE mostly low/medium settings. It actually feels like it's more sluggish now than before with a bunch of setting dialed down. Might as well crank it back up. Looking at the CPU stats in game bar CPU is like 60-70% most of the time. Perhaps it soaks up PCI bandwidth and my 4x connection to eGPU is limiting? Hard to say I have no comparison. It performs acceptably for the most part but it's a little off putting to have the sluggishness. It doesn't SEEM like it looks anywhere near good enough on low to be this choppy compared to other open world games. I know apples to oranges a little with their real world streaming tech.

2. Got up to the Navigation tutorial where it has you going to the park and then to another airport and timing the legs of the trip. Seems sane enough to have to real world plan the trip and estimate legs for fuel reasons etc.. I was way behind schedule to the park with the golf course (Park name escapes me), I was at full throttle the whole time and I climbed even a little higher than they asked before i got to the timer start. Not sure how I could have went any faster to get there on time according to the plan that pops up.. 2) it was super hard to see the highway to follow it for the next part, had to use the outside camera. Again nowhere near on time at full throttle for this leg 3) got to the waypoints to approach the final airport (Flagstaff?) Trying to recall. here's where I just flat out couldn't figure out what they wanted by the audio prompts and couldn't even see the airport. I followed the spoken directions I thought, but again hit the flaps when instructed to full, can't even try to get anywhere after that and I can't even see the airport. Ended up crashing into the ground trying to realign after falling too far trying not to stall. It might be I just don't quite know what I'm doing yet, but I knew where the airport was I could probably just get there easier without them, Maybe I'd be hitting flaps later than I should or something and not doing an approach like a proper control tower would require, but I have ZERO idea how anywould woul be able to follow their audio prompts and waypoints to get to that airport and land safely.

3) load times are ATROCIOUS, I don't know if this is just the Windows Store version with their encryption etc.. or if the Steam version has the same issue. Just that alone is adding to the frustration factor.

My end position right now is I'm glad I got it for free with gamepass and didn't fork any money out for it separately. I think it'll be more fun maybe just free flying around and not trying to "by the book" everything. The tutorials are super frustrating to follow, I definitely seem to do better when I don't follow them at all, and they don't even tell me all the controls I need to use (A and B for throttle) which is the main point of them IMO.

EDIT: ok.. tried it again, found the airport this time. I think part of this is that they say go to "cruising altitude" and they never said exactly what that is. I guess I'm supposed to be at the same altitude as the waypoints markers? ANyway... so I get pretty far this time and they say cut the engines to idle etc..etc.. The plane falls WAY too fast .. I had to throttle back up and use the outside camera to get to the runway.. then of course I get a decent landing (it seems like hitting the flaps really late on approach is just as good.. why go so slow so long on approach especially when the plane just can't keep the altitude they want with the instructions?!) The plane fell like a rock, there's no way I could keep the altitude of the waypoints with the instructions they give, unless I'm missing something.. I need to go watch some YT videos of others following their advice and doing it correctly.

Of course, I do land and she says I wasn't supposed to land there.. I guess I picked the wrong runway? It only looked like there was one runway..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wish I would have watched this dude before.. he didn't follow their instructions at all! He didn't even cut the engine until right at the end.. supposed to be at idle way up in the air where she said it?!?! Wow... and this guys is an actual licensed pilot. Ok.. I feel much better now that I know i'm not crazy or highly unskilled.

cucubits likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    last spam.. I just did the navigation tutorial again, nailed it. Not sure what the tutorial voice prompts are on about, they're garbage.

4. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Depending on the skill settings you may need to get the radials and use them to line up on the runway until you get visual. When on final it's best to get on glide slope as soon as possible but at that point you'll be on throttle. Remember when slow and at higher angles of attack such as when in landing configuration you're going to be using the throttle to control altitude and the stick/yoke to adjust speed, it takes some getting used to before it becomes second nature. There are a lot of variables depending on the aircraft but there can be some wild swings in power settings when getting close, in the approach, and on final. In an F18 you can be at idle while your dumping your speed and altitude and as you get slower and lower you start feeding the throttle back in. By the time your on approach you have a chunk of throttle back in and on glide slope with full flaps in landing configuration you'll be using most of your throttle, 80 percent or more even though you're only making 130 knots through the air. That's obviously a high performance aircraft but you see the same dynamic in a 170; you'll dump your energy and then you're going to be getting back in the throttle to maintain your set air speed after you've reached your target altitude for the start of the approach, with the flaps out your going to be dirty and needing more throttle yet to maintain your airspeed. You'll pull that back out a little bit as you actually get on glide slope and won't dump it until wheels down.

Sounds like the training is leading you a little astray.

hfm likes this.
  5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know if there is a way to lower the rudder controls sensitivity?

I've had good luck so far with an xbox one controller, set up deadzones and stick movement to have pretty low sensitivity but the rudder (shoulder triggers) is killing me. It's like on/off, I can't keep it straight for take off and it makes the rudder useless for coordinated turns in the air.

Is there a way to lower the shoulder triggers sensitivity maybe from windows?

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not that I'm aware of. I just try to very lightly use them, they definitely need to try to do a better job of gradually increasing the movement instead of it being so quick out of the gate. Like if they had it so movement sensitivity was low at first and gradually increased in a non-linear way so you could do those fine adjustments easily.

7. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Talk around the web is saying this is the new Crysis. :)

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pretty much. It might get better when they switch to DX12, word is it can only use 4 cores right now.

It's still playing well enough for a flight sim for me. A little choppy at times, but when I think about what they've achieved here it's pretty miraculous. It will only get better optimization over time as they get data from this launch.

I actually put myself in my small home town airport and flew over my childhood house and a friends house that lived across town. Crazy....

cucubits likes this.
  9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep, same here! :)

This is how I found a hilarious map error/bug. They've put a huge hangar/house thing right smack dab at the end of a runway.

sbz.jpg

hfm likes this.
  10. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, you can change the sensitivity of any of the controls. Under options, controls, find the control and check sensitivity - if you set the sensitivity to a - number (e.g., -35), the control response will become nonlinear - less sensitivity early, and increasing with control displacement. There is a great set of instructional videos by Squirrel on Youtube. The first two are all about setting up FS. Very useful.

cucubits likes this.