mSATA for Dell M6400?

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by imrazor, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Precision M6400, which has something called a "Flash Cache Module" slot which my research seems to indicate is an mSATA slot. I was wondering if anyone confirm the successful install of an mSATA drive (along with the make and model) in this slot, or a more pedestrian mPCIE SSD in the WWAN slot. I think I understand the difference - if I've got it wrong, please enlighten me.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    M6400 does not support mSATA. The Flash Cache Module is for the Intel Turbo Cache Memory, not the same thing. M6400 doesn't have the mini PCI-E connector linked to the SATA controller, and thus won't boot off of PCI-E slot.

3. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This article seems to confirm what you're saying:

Intel Turbo Memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, if I'm reading it correctly the article is stating that the slot is a standard mPCIe, rather than mSATA, slot. Are there not SSDs available in that form factor? Perhaps even bootable if one starts from an HD first, then loads the OS from a boot manager?

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The form factor is mSATA in Mini PCI-E. I don't know if you installed it would it read in disk management, no reason why it shouldn't, it just won't boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.