MS-1036 is here!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by unleaded, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pharoke

Pharoke Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow unleaded, pretty much what I spec'd out on your site for when the day comes I finally get my cash. So the guy on the other forum said an extra battery was available for ordering for and extra 120.00 or so. I was wondering if you can get them too?

2. unleaded

unleaded Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup, we use the same distributor.

3. Pharoke

Pharoke Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Excellent. That is what I needed to know. Did Coffee get you those trinkets yet?

4. unleaded

Reputations:
    Nope. Ten demerits! :D

5. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a few questions...

1.) Is RawPower ever going to have the ML-42 (2.4GHz) available for this system?

2.) Have they released an NTSC TV Tuner yet? I see it as an available option on the MS-1036 at avadirect.com

3.) Is it possible to order the unit without anything except the wi-fi option? I'm kinda broke, and would rather add everything else later, while I sit and stare at my empty unit :-D

6. unleaded

Reputations:
    1.) ML-42s are in very short supply and appear to be dried up in the channel
    2.) Avadirect must have incorrect information as there is NOT a TV Tuner option for the MS-1036. This was a Europe/Asia only option and they must still be quoting the original spec or are offering an external solution.
    3.) Most resellers require a full configuration as they can more easily stand by their products this way.

7. neo8558

neo8558 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. skel

skel Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't think that assembling a notebook from a barebones kit is necessarily cheaper then just buying a pre-configured model. I went through the exercise once of pricing a complete solution, CPU, RAM, Hard disk and optical drive. I found the savings to be somewhere between $50-100. That's only about %5, for a $2000 solution. Now, I priced it with really nice components, I think it was AMD Mobile Athlon 3600+, 1GB Kingston ram, 60GB 7200rpm Hitatchi HD, can't remember the optical drive. You might be able to save some if you use cheaper components, but then, if you don't mind cheaper components, why not just buy a Compaq or a Gateway?

Also, keep in mind that your waranty options might not be as extensive with a barebone kit. Another factor to weigh is, speaking from experience, assembling a notebook from scratch is not that easy.

Other than that, barebone kits are the way to go! :p

9. USAFdude02

USAFdude02 NBR Reviewer & Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I agree. If you get a decent system, but you want a better say vid card and RAM, these are probably the biggest upgrades that manufacturers charge for.

When I was building my I9300, Dell wanted $230 to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB of RAM. I upgraded the RAM myself to 2GB for $160...saved myself $70. I could have saved more if I dumped down the memory to 512MB, but I needed the price up so I could use my coupon.

The video card is a little harder to upgrade and my require some mods. But it is very possible.

So to finish. The easiest place to save money on a PC is the RAM.

10. pacing

pacing Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone had any problems with wireless? I got the wireless/bluetooth card and I can't seem to get the wireless b/g to work. The drivers and software I got on the cd from MSI don't seem to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.