Mr. Fox's GeForce 344.75 Desktop Driver Mod for 780M, 880M and 980M Mobile GPUs

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    How well performs these mod drivers without mod vbios compared with standard laptop drivers?

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    yeah okay, you turned down an AW18 for 900$ cause it had 2x290's, TROLLOLOLOL

Anyways......... Fox, the driver you have for download there, works great until I touch eVga precision or nVidia inspector or anything that could alter somethng with the videocard, then it reverts back to original performance. HOWEVER, it still performs better then any clock Ive used before AS-IS , and for the first friggin time, in years Ive actually HEARD my fans start spinning like an aircraft during a benchmark too. I get nearly 6000 on firestrike on extreme with a single card. was getting like 4,000's before. Never having beat 5300 as a max until now. So, thanks alot, i have no idea what you did, but I wish to know more to understand it further, and maybe contribute to the knowledge in the future.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have noticed that I was able to hold high clocks (1007/1500) all the way through Firestrike and 3DMark 11 without utilization dipping below 96% on either card. Scores are the highest I have ever seen. Great job Mr. Fox!

On a side note, since presumably only three files need to be replaced, I'd suggest that you just put them into a folder called Display.Driver and ask people to merge that folder into their driver folder and overwrite existing files. That makes the download mere kilobytes.

I cheated by using a text comparison tool to look at how the mod was performed. I feel that while it's no rocket science to make such a maneuver, it was pure genius to predict the tremendous performance benefits. Again hats off to Mr. Fox.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fantastic work Mr. Fox. Finally the full power of 880M is unleashed :D. Couldn't be happier ehehe

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Would that not cause the updated driver to not install due to breaking the signed package though? Easier to send a full driver package and instruct on installation than to ask people to fiddle otherwise, no? I think I'll give this another try, but overwrite my driver and see if I notice any benefits. And if Valley will FINALLY HOLD MY BLOODY 1100/1500 CLOCKS HNGGG (I even tried +87.5mV and it wouldn't work; doesn't even overdraw it just crashes super easy).

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Desktop driver mod is working real nice on 980M SLI as well. And, the throttling issue appears to be too high CPU clock speed triggering a GPU downclock. Either NVIDIA, Windows 8, or both trying to force lower power consumption. Might be appropriate for a gaming jokebook that has low TDP BGA pile of crap CPU and a mickey mouse AC adapter..

See this post... http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-r2-dual-980m-sli-upgrade-94.html#post9869462

7. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now that you mention it, I do remember having to manually sign a modified driver (for something as trivial as a USB-to-ethernet converter) to make it work on Windows 8. It was very messy business indeed. Thanks for clarifying.

1100/1500 is some serious clocks :eek:

8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    If Mr. Fox can do 1150/1500, I should be able to do 1100/1500 without throwing my CPU clocks to the wind XD

9. jtravapd8578

jtravapd8578 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mr fox using your new driver my 3dmark score jumped a pretty huge number of points!. And currently my CPU overclock is all jacked up so i have my CPU running slow because of issues with throttle stop. Scored a 9894, i know it isn't the best in the world, but your driver made a big difference with my system. I can't thank you enough, your hard work and your advice as always, is appreciated. sorry if this should have gone in his driver post, but I didnt want the thank you to get lost in a long post. SO thank you again. Now if I can get my CPU overclock fixed and throttle stop fixed I can only imagine how much higher i could go.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 01W2J2

Mr. Fox and zombiegoat like this.
  10. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    If people are getting nice boosts using this desktop driver mod, it kinda makes you wonder whether nVidia is deliberately crippling mobile GPUs for nefarious reasons.

D2 Ultima likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.