Mr. Fox's GeForce 344.75 Desktop Driver Mod for 780M, 880M and 980M Mobile GPUs

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I did this driver mod a few days ago and it seems to be working well for me in benchmarks and games, so I am sharing it with you folks to see if it works well for you also.

It should work on any Alienware or Clevo laptop because it only identifies the GPU hardware ID, so Clevo owners should feel free to try it out. On-the-fly-SLI mod is not necessary, as it works by default using this desktop driver.

Note: The nvcvi.inf and nvdmn.inf files have been intentionally messed up, so don't try to fix it. Those files have to be present for the driver to install. I tried removing them entirely, but the driver installation apparently needs to see them and fails without those files sitting in the folder, so I screwed up the hardware ID code for 780M, 880M and 980M to force use of the nv_disp.inf file exclusively. (Clevo owners will need to mess up their hardware ID in the nvcvi.inf like I did the nvdmn.inf for Alienware.)

Windows 8 users will need to reboot with driver signature enforcement disabled or the installation is guaranteed to fail. Temporarily disable HWiNFO64 (rename the installation folder works easy enough) to avoid hard freezes. Use DDU in Safe Mode before installing to remove all traces of your old driver and all registry entries from the old driver before installing it.

Download Mr. Fox's 344.75 Desktop Mod v2.0.7z

Here is a moderate GPU overclock on Fire Strike showing the driver works fantastic for 780M. This should be achievable on an SLI machine with a single AC adapter. With 980M stock core clocks are higher than this 780M overclock.

2014-12-19_12-20-24.jpg

I hope this works as well for other 880M users as it has for woodzstack...

Try this option to disable DSE. It works and I just recently discovered the command.

Open an elevated command prompt and run the syntax below. Reboot, and DSE should be disabled for good. No need to temporarily disable DSE the old way.
    Code:
    bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
    I am now able to install modded drivers without having to boot with DSE temporarily disabled. Works on the Sky X9 and Panther with W10 TH2. I've done it probably a dozen time in the past two weeks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I won't have them until tomorrow. It will be next week before I share anything on 980M. I am fully expecting Windows 7 will not work on Alienware systems, but there is always hope. I even ordered a non-Alienware retail Windows 7 SP1 x64 Pro DVD to see if I can get it to work by some bizarre miracle, but I am not optimistic. There is something about the Alienware system BIOS not playing nice with the vBIOS and only GOP booting is supported. It seems that Windows 7 doesn't function without CSM/Legacy Option ROM except for a handful of lucky people with unusual circumstances that mysteriously worked out for them. I have torn up the internet searching for a way to run Windows 7 in pure UEFI mode (without CSM/Legacy mode) and the inability to do so seems almost universal, not unique to Alienware.

Those curious about the Alienware 18 working with 980M SLI already have proof that it works courtesy of Brother louis1978uk, so go ahead and grab them if you want to upgrade. M18xR1 owners will need to wait until I have time to test it. Testing on the M18xR1 will be super easy since I don't have to swap around the heat sinks. Alienware 18 uses different heat sinks and they will not cross fit with the M18x chassis. They are almost the same, but just enough difference to not fit and I don't want to damage the fins on the radiators by wedging them in.

3. jtravapd8578

jtravapd8578 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mr fox., what did you change?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's a secret, but if you look hard enough you can find it. ;)

5. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, Mr. Fox. You are the best. Enjoy your 980M cards. If you have those, you will make miracles.

reborn2003 and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I'm a little lazy right now, but sometime in the next couple of days I will give these a shot (mainly because I hate redoing my per-game profiles in NCP). Maybe I'll finally be able to keep a daily 1006/1500 clock speed on these things. Just because. JUST BECAUSE. *strokes 780Ms*

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Okay, got pissed because I can't keep 1100/6000 in Valley. Gonna try these out right now XD. (There's this one guy I'm determined to beat. He has a single 780 and is beating my setup, this cannot be allowed.)

reborn2003 likes this.
  8. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    I notice your 780M is running at 3.0 x8 only and not full 3.0 x16... though its an improvement form somepeople who get it stuck on 1.2 or 2.0 @ x8

you will get better performance when you can keep it tripped at 3.0 x16 of course. Which is what you get with the stock drivers using 680M I believe.

Also, do the 980M's work in the M18X-R2 and the M17X-R4 ? (People have stated it works well in M17X-R4, but have not shown me any proof, and Ive yet to really research it thoroughly)

Also, whats so special about this driver mod ? The normal INF mods worked fine on the 344.75 driver and I have them installed, and have them working for 780M on my m17x-r4 and the 880m's on the m18x-r2

9. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    This is impossible on a SLI machine. 3.0 @ 8x is the highest you go because the CPU only has 16 PCI/e lanes. It also won't affect bandwidth much; these cards don't saturate the bus at all even at 8x.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Fox, the drivers don't work for me. I totally removed them and used command prompt to fully disable driver signature enforcement and rebooted, and I tried multiple times but I kept getting the same error below:

[​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's correct.

Hmm, strange. I have clean installed it a couple of times and mikecacho had no trouble installing it. I did not do anything unusual for Alienware versus Clevo. I think you may be having a Windows 8 cancer thing going on because you got as far as you did. Otherwise, the installer would have stopped at the point of not detecting GPUs. Your screen shot is EXACTLY what I see when I try to install modded drivers without disabling DSE first.

Open a command Window with Admin rights and run the commands bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON, then reboot with the Windows 8 Troubleshooting options menu and choose F7 one more time. If that works and you have a watermark test mode on your desktop, kill it with this application. (I run Windows 7 and 8 in test mode with integrity checks disabled 24/7. You can turn them back on again if you want to.)

Or, if you prefer the Windows 7 legacy menu that works with F8 before Windows logon instead of Windows 8's retarded way of doing things, you can turn that on with the command bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy (also requires command window with Admin rights).

D2 Ultima and mikecacho like this.