Moving to NYC - where to live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi all, hopefully this won't jinx it... but in expectancy of a new job, I plan to soon move to New York. I will be working at the Cuny Law building (2 Court Square, Long Island City). Here is a wishlist of things I want to see in the apt, in order of preference. Where would you recommend I live?

1. Being in a newer, taller building. (Advantage LIC)

2. Proximity to grocery stores and local restaurants. The more dense, the better. (Advantage NYC)

3. Easy commute - the Cuny building is next to the blue E and orange M line stop. So wherever those lead to, preferably without me having to switch subways. But if I have to switch, it's okay. I would prefer not to have to take a bus. (Draw)

4. $2500/month for rent, 1 bed. As this is 4th on the list, there is some wiggle room. But cheaper is better. (Advantage LIC)

5. I dream of living in Manhattan. (Advantage NYC)

I do not care for proximity to nightlife, and I do not care for being away from tourist spots. But I wouldn't imagine those places to be within my budget either.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Usually when people say they live in NYC, they mean Manhattan, Long Island City is in borough of Queens, right next to Brooklyn even if technically it is part of NYC. As far as apartments go, they're expensive in good areas, but rent controled, so if you're lucky you can find something reasonable, but it would be difficult to suggest something specific, it all depends on your taste. I hope you don't own the car, owning one in NY area is usually a parking nightmare with few exceptions. If you really, really want Manhattan, send me PM, I could ask my body if he have anything on east side in the 80's.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    $2500 for rent.. I don't even make that much a month..

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It's called regional cost of living... I'd probably make double what I do now if I moved to NYC or SoCal. Heck, I'm buying a new home that is 3800 Sq Ft, 5 bedroom (6 if you include one in basement), 3.5 bath with a mortgage payment half that rent.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    :vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek:
    We don't even pay that much for our 3 bed, 2 bath house.

6. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    PMed! I was hoping what I listed about would be enough to eliminate some areas, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jobs in NY pay more than jobs elsewhere on average. Also different people have different salaries. If I were a house maid, I wouldn't be spending that much on rent.

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Of course you don't. You don't even have enough water for those 2 bathrooms, so they are completely useless.

radji likes this.
  8. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

True. The cost of living is also on the very high side, though, and getting higher by the day.

Unless you're going to be making $200K + a year you're likely better off staying away from Manhattan. A decent one-bedroom apartment in a desirable location/building can easily run $4K or more a month.

Well, it all depends on whose house maid you'd be...I'm dead certain that some of them who work in the posh areas of NYC make a very decent chunk of change...

9. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    What is the point of arguing, simply for the sake of arguing, that a maid might make a lot of money? I'm sure there will always be ___ who make more than ___, but what does that add to the conversation?

killkenny1 likes this.
  10. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

While I'm fully aware that this is your thread, there's no reason to downplay what any given profession makes on the basis of yearly salary. Especially when one is moving into the area that they're less than familiar with, unlike some of us.

Just read what I've stated above. It might make sense to you. Or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.