Moving from Windows 7 to MacOS

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by 3g6, Dec 2, 2018.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't use Icloud. I use home 365. I have my iPhone Microsoft'ed. I use edge, outlook, one note, etc. I do not pay for any extra apple service besides music, (because I have to). My phone and computer interconnect perfectly. I use dell mobile connect, get my imessages come through on that, all my notifications, and can send and receive messages, phone calls etc via my computer. I have all my photos stored on onedrive etc. Again, The ONLY thing that MAC/iPhone combo does which I would like would be true facetime and imessage. But my setup right now gives my 95% of that combo without none of the headaches of the terrible UI of MacOS.

2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also your workplace will go Window 10 for obvious reason that you forgot.

This is a joke...I got Windows 10 and use two software tweak freewware and it looks just like Windows 7 again and there is tweaks user can do to remove the stupid Tiles and looks just like the W7 StartMenu. So it sounds like you more or less have a bias to start with rather then giving real help so this text is more or less worthless from your posting. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if people can't use it then the beauty become the beast.

They realized that but never address the security flaws but still try to deny they have security flaws in their O/S. That doesn't inspire confidence.

This is alot of koolaid drinking here. And you don't think iOS forces updates on your system either? Reality check here. If one recalls in the past iTunes refused to work unless you updated your iOS so your lack of memory here is bad as well. W10 will grow as older O/S are removed that is fact of life trying to revision history isn't on your side here.

jclausius likes this.
  3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Hey man, are you kind of people from Microsoft? Surprised to see some stands so strong with 10.

Ohh, I want to answer for this state very much :D.
    As the old Windows XP and 7 computers dies, we have to replace them with new ones. We buy new Dell servers from a company, preinstalled with Windows and all the necessary programs. Unfortunately they cannot ship anymore with Windows 7. They ship with Windows 10 even when their programs designed to run on XP and 7. I talk about grocery stores and about a central office. Mainly middle age - old women store managers, same thing on the office and I have to deal with them, help and troubleshooting and when I cannot help we need to call the company. The best when the company struggling to fix the problem too, like the data not coming in from the gun or the new prices not going out to the scale, the turned off firewall turns back on automatically by time to time, causing problems to the cash registers and the customers waiting in extra long rows! We loose money and customers because of 10, so yeah we have obvious reasons move to Windows 10!!! Half the problems existed with XP or 7...

We especially not going to install any 3rd party craps to Win10 to cause further problems. Plus I think the topic opener said that just gives a China BMW feeling to the OS. Very right, who wants to use a copy by China? I say use Windows 10 as it is or stay on Windows 7 or move to Mac.
    I love my personal MacBook by the way and it is not more difficult to use than Windows, just different. Once learned, less trouble I guarantee!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry, no guarantee. I tried three times and it’s mind numbing’ly (nice word hey!) stupid. Windows 10 is fluid in its operations. Want to close a program, hit the x, want to close a program in macOS, hit the yellow minimize button or the red minimize button since both buttons do the same, then do the finger gymnastics click (you know the one where you have to touch the touch pad, or command button, I think, instead of right click, that’s a whole other ****up on macOS.) now get the drop down menu from the antique dock, and click close. That’s just one example of the wacky way to even begin to control macOS.

There are too many to list here. It’s the “such as” OS. You know the girl at the pageant giving the “I personally believe such as” answer to a question, Attractive on the exterior but dumb as a box of rocks under the skin.

5. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, that is enough please!

I've now Control+C and Control+V working, right mouse click is working. The red and yellow buttons are doing what they supposed to do, red is closing and yellow is minimizing. I do not see the problem there. I can uninstall programs easier than in Windows, because working like in IOS. Well, the installation was more difficult to figure out :D.
    Safari ad blocking problem fixed too!
    I don't know yet how to switch between opened programs, but probably also quite simple task. I will read that later on the internet.

jclausius likes this.
  6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Then you obviously don't know me that here tells me anything after this you made judgements you don't know already and anything after this fails.

Let's put this into perspective-if the software vendor whom you use don't Invest into their software development to upgrade then the fault lies with them NOT with Microsoft. I've run and installed Windows 7 software into Windows 10 without issue unless they are XP specific software. Windows 10 changed their permission and privileges to protect the O/S from loopholes in 3 party software that are outdated and that isn't Microsoft fault here. So trying to lay 3rd party software problem at the feet of Windows is flawed already from the start. Here's another thing Companies talk about retooling and re-education of their employees to use NEW tech and obvious your reply here tells a very different story. I work at a institution where our very own staff claims to know the computer but nevers takes it upon themselves to learn the tools provide by the institution as online learning software to learn about the new system. This is more or less a management debacle not wanting to re-train their employees to get the best from them. It doesn't take alot to retool but if you don't then don't blame someone else for your problems. This is how I see this paragraph.

You may love your Mac the way it works but the world doesn't spin around the mac unfortunately and the mac places 2nd or maybe 3rd fiddle to Linux as they did this to themselves when the O/S battle days in the 80's and Apple resigned that to Windows and Windows never looked back. History note, if one forgot. And also China is notorious for Windows hacked O/S that should tell you which one people want even if it is illegal.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On MacOS try Command (Apple key) + Tab

Atom Ant likes this.
  8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I borrowed a MacBook Pro for about two weeks last year. I had no prior experience with MacOS. It was a humbling experience for the first few days, but I got the hang of the keyboard shortcuts pretty quick. After a week I felt I was almost as productive as I was on Windows. I had no software trouble as the apps I use have native versions on both platforms.

After I sent the MacBook away, I knew I wasn't going to buy one. I had no complaints about the device or the software; rather, a Windows laptop of comparable features and performance is less expensive. For my utilitarian usage, it's hard to make the argument to spend more money to do the same thing.

Charles

3g6, Atom Ant and Ultra Male like this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    One can always hackintosh if chooses hardware carefully - and it will blow native Macbooks out of the water in all regards. I mean, even disregarding performance concerns, no touchscreen option in 2018?!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    kojack likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Exactly. Apple fans claim they will feel and look like gorillas using touchscreen desktop and notebook computers. Also, they complain about having fingerprints over their screens, YET they use iphones and ipads everyday with their fingers. I love calling them out on that one. It's fun watching them trying to spin that!

Starlight5 likes this.