Moving from Windows 7 to MacOS

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by 3g6, Dec 2, 2018.

1. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Because Windows 7 is getting old and difficult to install for modern laptops, I started to look for other alternative than Windows 10. At first place I'm thinking for MacOS, I'm using Iphone and Ipad, so it would be a logical move and it even a great looking OS. However I concerned if I will be able to do all my tasks, that I did before?
    I already know in MacOS different to handle my everyday tasks, since recently I purchased a Macbook Air with Broadwell CPU for practicing. Mouse working different, copy and paste different, so actually all the basic steps. And when I need to do something fast, I running back to my Windows laptop, thus I do not want spend time to figure things out.
    How about games? I do not really play anymore, but sometimes I want...
    What about big HDD? Will it see my NTFS drive if I buy an external HDD? Or should I use a NAS instead? Is NAS working like a big HDD inside my laptop? How about some of the old programs, a good picture editor like AcdSee 3.0, videoplayer VLC, a good adblocker for internet broswer, because so far what I installed for Safari does nothing...
    So I have few concerns as you can see, anybody here moved already from Windows to MacOS and stayed there?

2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Going from Windows to Mac is a big change of commands and clicks and mouse function differently. Also there are more software readily available for Windows compared to Mac in Brand name software and freeware. Also mac ties you to their control of software and hardware so be ready for that. Windows allows more customization or disaster depending on whom is doing it. But if you learn and read on the O/S you should be ok but remember it's like CLI Unix to Windows it can be a change like that. A external HDD should work unless it wants to format it but for that you should check whom your buying from and ask does this work with mac and how. That the thing like your stating " I running back to my Windows laptop, thus I do not want spend time to figure things out." That's another thing user forget to ask themselves when going from Win to Mac there are times when you need to get it done and not relearning something to just get a simple task done. So if you want to go to mac get a book on mac and read up on it before just jumping to it thinking it like a Windows they couldn't be more different but that they are also so similar but not always doing the same. But that is my take since college I used mac but owned a PC instead for everyday usage-it had more user freedom and software that is why Windows is by far more used by people as result of that.

toughasnails likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Depends on what specific games you want to play. Popular ones like Fortnite, CS:GO, and Rocket League along with many indie titles that you can buy on Steam have native MacOS ports. You can use Boot Camp to install Windows as a native OS on a Mac and have access to all your games, but it would require rebooting each time you needed to change.

MacOS can read from NTFS drives but not write to them. There are third-party drivers for MacOS that enable NTFS write access, but they're either costly, unreliable, or both. If you're going to use MacOS with regularity, then it would be advisable to format your external drives in the exFAT file system because it supports large capacity disks and individual files on all platforms. Plus it won't cost you anything extra, either in terms of software or obtaining a NAS.

VLC has a Mac port, and there are a ton of good quality free or inexpensive photo programs as well. A Google search will give you more than enough information. And use Chrome or Firefox as a web browser. Their Mac versions mirror the Windows ones for feature support.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Don't do it, it will look nice the first days as it's something new, then the more you use it, you'll simply get tired of having to find an alternative to this or that and the moment you lay your hands on a Windows laptop, you'll be like WTF am I doing!? and you'll wanna run right back to Windows.

I would understand if you do want to go through the learning curve but the thing is, their latest laptops over heat and throttle. If they actually performed as advertised I would also want to switch like you as I'm sick of Windows even though I know how to tame every nuisance and make it look good like Windows 7. But until then, my suggestion is to follow this guide:

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!

These are the tweaks that I perform on my laptop and make it look like what you see in the image below:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Disabling Microsoft Edge from starting up automatically in the background upon reboot.
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the classic Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    9- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    10- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    11- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    12- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    13- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
    14- Preventing Microsoft Edge from running on startup in the background
    15- Restoring the missing default power plans in Windows 10 (ie. High performance, Power saver, and adding the new Ultimate Performance Plan)
    16- Creating a system restoration image using Macrium Reflect

[​IMG]

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed, macOS is so bass akwards that it's infuriating. I tried to change three times only to loose my shirt selling the devices again. I will never move from windows. I tried Linux, thats just brutal. Windows is the only OS where the controls are simple, make sense, and are ergonomic.

Stay where you are when it comes to OS. There is a good reason that apple has next to no market share in the desktop space.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you guys for the longer explanation. MacOS is more though as I thought. It is surprise because Ipad and Iphone are so easy to use.

Damn, that is kind of deal breaker... So for example I cannot save a video file onto a pendrive, if that is NTFS?

[​IMG]

Those are lots of modifications you listed and maybe a big update would cause issues for them. Or?
    Otherwise at first look really good your UI, almost like Windows 7! However for longer period of use, I would probably feel, I am using a China BMW:

[​IMG]

Yeah, I feel I am not gonna sell my Windows 7 laptop yet, while I will keep trying to learn MacOS. Maybe I’ll buy a good guide book as some of you mentioned above.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would move to windows 10. It's actually quite good, contrary to what has been said around here. I find it a joy to use, it's moving forward in visual esthetics and speed as well. I could never even go back to earlier versions of windows at this point. I switch all my computers to 10 and its much better than 7. I would go that route!

8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    I think he just wants to use whether else than Windows 10. At workplace on few new computer we also have Win 10 ,but nobody says ohhh, it is so good.
    But MacOS is beautiful, especially the newest Mojavee with dark background and I do think not need more learning than Windows 10. Especially awesome for Iphone users, like I can pick up phone and facetime calls on Mac, Photos, videos are coming, i can continue my work on Iphone or vice versa, airplay 2 fantastic. For me makes life easier, while Windows 10 only trouble, accessories not working and finally everything working coming an update to screw up everything. I call it ever the worst Windows, skip it if you can. Any news of Windows 11 with Win 7 interface?

steberg likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mac is like a supermodel, pretty to look at but nothing upstairs. I can do everything with my iPhone / dell computer that you state there besides facetime. but I have skype if I want to do that. You will never see windows 7 interface again, thats old school, in the past, just as MacOS is. My computer runs fine on Oct update. As are many millions more. The internet likes to blow **** way out of proportion. I have 5 computers from various makers, and years all running windows 10, 3 are on OCT update and no issues what so ever. The internet hiccup I had has been fixed. Don't think apple OS's go off without a hitch either. IOS and MacOS are FAMOUS for having issues when loaded on early....but since they are apple they get a pass. Usually because they only have 6 computers and a handful of mobile devices to test for, unlike windows where there are literally thousands of different combinations that could have issue. Again, don't kid yourself over the stability of MacOS.

10. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    I have doubts with just icloud installed on Windows 10 things would work the same as on Mac with Iphone.
    I cannot say at all Windows 10 looks modern, Windows 95 had more modern Icons. So that is oldschool Windows 7 just give much more premium feeling for laptop, just as MacOS for MAC. I might would be OK with Windows 10 on budget laptops, but for example an Dell XPS 15 9570 ruined with it.
    If you were Iphone user, may you remember from IOS6 upgrade to IOS7. IOS7 “modern” interface ruined iphones. It looked similar to Windows 10, all the elegance is gone. Than those who stayed on IOS6, their iphones were worth more than the upgraded ones. Fortunately Apple realised the problem fast and from IOS 8 they fixed the elegance problem (partly).
    If Microsoft do not realise the same problem, they will go down slowly. Although they think they are ok, because they have more Windows 10 user now than Win 7, but it is only because of forced updates, no alternate option, not even downgrade option from 8th gen Intels and lack of some new feature eg. DirectX 12.

Mr. Fox likes this.