Mouse

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wall_street, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wall_street

wall_street Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The SteelSeries Surface QcK Mini is a good option, there is a bigger one too. Both are very well priced.

As for a mouse, it's really something you got to try at a store.

3. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    For a mouse, I highly recommend the Razer DeathAdder. The new 3,500 DPI model goes for around 45-50 pounds, but you can find the original 1,800 DPI model for under 30.

I would look into that, and a SteelSeries QcK or Razer Goliathus if you like soft mouse pads, or the Razer Destructor, eXactMat or Vespula if you prefer hard.

4. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Why would you need 3500 DPI in a mouse, or even 1800DPI? The most your actual muscles can do is maybe 800DPI, if that. It's no better than the megapixel ratings of cameras... sure, more megapixels, but it's the same size sensor so it actually results in an inferior picture (you have to turn the sensitivity down).

5. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I disagree; it varies from person to person, naturally, but I'd say the threshold of useful DPI in a mouse is around 2,000, maybe a little more or less depending on your display resolution and personal sensitivity preferences.

And I'm pretty sure the whole "muscles can't do more than 800 DPI" thing is a myth, just like saying the human eye can't see more than 60 frames per second.

6. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

A mil is 1/1000th of an inch. That would be 1000DPI. That's HALF the width of a human hair (~2mil). Do you really think anyone has double that precision? Less than 1/4th the width of a human hair? Performing it under gaming conditions?

As for the more than 60fps thing, that's just goofy. 30-60FPS is about what it takes for video games to feel smooth, as long as it doesn't drop below that. http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Film at 18fps can seem smooth, sharp images at 40fps can seem jerky and unnatural.

7. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    If I play a game that I can easily get a steady 90 frames per second in and then cap it to 30 manually, it becomes unplayable to me. Even a steady 40 is pretty rough. 60 is good, 90 is better.

And the reason movies at 18 or 24 fps or whatever seem smooth is because of the extremely slow camera pans. Pay attention to that next time you watch a movie. 24 frames per second isn't so bad when the camera takes a solid minute to turn 90 degrees, but in a game where you can make multiple 180-degree turns in a fraction of a second, it's a world of difference.

8. wall_street

wall_street Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hey guys thanks for you help. i went with the old version of deathadder and Razer Goliathus.

9. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Awesome choices, and you're welcome. ;)

10. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Exactly the setup I have. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.