most rugged/reliable? thinkpad e series vs probook g6 vs latitude 5000 series

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Scopus, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Scopus

Scopus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey i need a laptop for work on the go that one of the most important aspects is ruggedness since i will be moving it around all the time and will need to take some light beating, be outside in heat... I dont need a powerful machine since will only be doing very basic tasks and no gaming... i read i should look into buisness class laptops for more ruggedness and in my price range i found theses 3. Theres probook 440 g6, thinkpad e490 and dell Latitude 5480( which is little more expensive than the other 2). They all have similar specs...

thoughts?

1) What is your budget? $750

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? uk
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?no
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?no
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?basic internet, data transfer, movies
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? alot of moving around

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)no
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 4

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?its ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    windows only

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) full hd

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) non glossy prefered

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? no

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? minimal

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? few years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? couple weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? no

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have had HP, Dell and many other laptops over the years, I have used the professional linup from Dell and HP and I must say nothing beats ThinkPads in build quality and ruggedness.
    I would suggest the 14 inch ThinkPad as those are nice balance between portability and good screen real estate.

The only thing I dislike about the new ThinkPads are the flimsy screen design compared to older ThinkPads which had this thick proper screen design that could take a beating at least more than the newer ones.
    If you really need it to take a beating I recommend older ThinkPads with this design, you can still get refurbs with almost new quality.

ThinkPads all come with matte screens as well, I have yet to see one with glossy, anyway it would be stated otherwise on their page or the specification list.

Whether you get AMD or Intel ThinkPad they both have great battery life, I can easily get 8 hours out of my A285 if I use it with care, full screen brightness and it might last 4 to 5 hours of general use and this is only a 12,5 inch laptop.

All ThinkPads have aluminium chassis but quality plastic outershell, on my humble opinion of 19 years of experience, plastic is better at taking beating than aluminium shells and MUCH cheaper to repair in fact just gluing it together will sometimes do it. Aluminium on the other hand, no.
    You be hard to break the plastic body of a ThinkPad though.

Frankly I am not sure how much ruggedness you need, again I still recommend older refurb ThinkPad like T440 or something if you wanted to take it out on a construction site or something.
    And if you only want new then Panasonic Toughbooks might be your only choice.

Scopus likes this.
  3. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you want a rugged sucker get a panasonic toughbook.
    You can drop it from 4 foot and be assured it'll still work.
    Cops and the military use em, they aren't fancy or cutting edge, but they are tough as nails.

4. Scopus

Scopus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thnks I think I will go for a referb thinkpad than which I found OK prices. Toughbooks way too expensive in my country. The 440 line it looks like like they got rid of mouse pad buttons which I don't like so think I will go with either a t450s or x250 which are portable versions. Thanks

SMGJohn likes this.