Most Powerful Cooling Pad - 17"

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vanders, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Vanders

Vanders Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's heading into summer where I live and it gets very hot so I want to get a cooling pad for my laptop just to give it a little extra help.

Issue is there are so many cooling pads out there. Hoping to narrow a few down here.

Can I please get suggestions on powerful pads for a 17" gaming laptop? Preferably with adjustable modes and an on/off switch.

Emphasis on powerful.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    cooling pads are generally a waste of money unless you make it yourself.

cheapest cooling improvements is a couple of bottle caps to give some clearance.

Next up is a bit pricey.

CoolerMaster U3 with 3x 120mm externally powered fans gives objectively the best cooling.

Papusan and cfe like this.
  3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Waste of your money they are Snake Oil. If you want to keep your system cooler you must dissemble and re-paste the thermal heat sink and clean out the vents and fan to improve air flow. And blow the system cooling fins of dust to allow for better air flow so the system can properly cool the system down. Remember Gaming Laptop when push hard will get how regardless and the cleaner the air flow the better the cooling. So lookup online on your system how to dissemble and clean the system out so it will do better at cooling when it's needed. Don't believe anything they say about cooling pads that's a waste of money. They offer "0" cooling other then taking your money.

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its also highly dependent on your laptop as well, no breathing vents means little to no benefit.

As for my scenario above, it proved to be a 7c drop on my Ranger when it was running the 1070.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thermal testing by Jarrod's Tech on YouTube says otherwise. The difference may not be substantial, but it can help.

etern4l likes this.
  6. Vanders

Vanders Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can understand if the benefit isn't substantial, but I can't see how air being blown directly into the laptop wouldn't help.

Especially if the fan is powerful (not worrying about being quiet).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. Though it doesn't seem particularly high tech. But I suppose that doesn't matter.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I bought a thermaltake back in the day when my 2007 was my main notebook. mainly for raising up the notebook on my desk more than cooling. I can remember getting a 3 or 4 deg drop. Nothing to write home about. that's not going to change anything. But at the time, pockets were bottomless so I said what the hell, it will get one for the cool blue light.