Morro - first thoughts

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by ATC, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    it did pretty well overall. missing a few all the others picked up. i have to say its generic sigs are VERY nice and they work well. it fared well overall though to my samples the other three i mentioned did all do better but only by a couple samples. morro only missed 2 samples i have the next best av picked up. overall it did a really great job for something new and in beta and that will be free. im not easy to impress and this i think will in the end be a very capable av..one thing i did see get by was antivirus 2009 a rouge av program which was really suprising since its really picked up by almost any decent av. but again being beta im positive this will be addressed i sent this info to ms after it got through as well.

its very fast. it used just a bit over 9mb on this system RUNNING a scan. i didnt notice any real slowdown at all and it ran as fast as the best of them. the only thing i saw was it did increase boot time by about 6-9seconds, this was in comparison to the other three. it took the longest to fully boot. again remember this is beta. eset time wise was the fastest boot and then norton 2009 then kaspersky then "morro". but remember we are talking within seconds of each other and not a difference of 30-40 either.

ill be testing this out all week and be throwing everything i can at it and taking it to places i dont realy recc you go on the net looking for stuff to see what it can do. when i test i look for nasties to see how well it does to stop them as well as prevent them from downloading and not allowing them to install or run.

remember i only tested with a couple thousand samples on a virtual machine. so i can only speak for what i was able to throw at it. ill keep this updated as i surf with it during the week looking for anything nasty i can to see how it reacts to it. im keeping an eye open especially for rouge programs now. also i like the integration into windows and how nice it installed. norton is about the only other one i can say installed this nice on vista and thats only speaking of the 2009 nortons

2. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update zfactor. I'm going to leave it running on one of my machines but I'm still sceptical about its effectiveness right now; I agree once out of beta it should be decent. Still using Avira on my main production machine, don't want to take chances on that one. :)

3. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    oh def i run nis2009 on this machine normally so ill run this on the virtual pc for a few weeks and see how well it does as i said.. this week ill be back in the office tomm and ill start scouting for some nasty stuff

4. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just an update; looks like the official public beta build does disable Defender by default. The build I was using (an older internal MSFT beta build) did not do that, and actually allowed both MSE's AS module and Defender to run simultaneously.

This does make sense though, as MSE supposedly has an AS module that's at least as effective as the standalone Defender, according to a blog I read recently, and that MSE should disable Defender on install.

5. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, MSE disabled Windows Defender upon installing. There is no easy way to disable real time protection (right click taskbar icon options as in Avira, Norton, etc). RAM usage is also higher (around 75 MB with 2 processes) when compared to Avira 9 free, Norton AV 2009.
    I love the fact that MSE doesn't say beta anywhere in the UI.

Morro and Forefront Client Security share the same malware definitions.

6. Evolution

Evolution Vox Sola

Reputations:
    I am considering trying this beta out, but I will be closely comparing it to avast which has given me no problems in the years I have used it. I am glad to see it shares the same definitions as forefront security :).

My only problem with MSE is as coolguy pointed out the memory usage is kinda high around 75+mb.

7. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Memory usage for me fluctuates, MSE is really different than other AV's. Avira would usually sit around 11-12mb, while MSE is changing all the time.

8. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In Task Manager I see a process called MsMpEng.exe (description: AntiMalware Service Executable) and another caller msseces.exe (description: Microsoft Security Essentials User Interface) and they are currently using 28MB memory (27MB for the first service and 1MB for the second). It’s constantly fluctuating; seen it as high as 35MB (combined).

Are these the same two associated services you have on your machine?

9. Evolution

Evolution Vox Sola

Reputations:
    I honestly have to say I am not really impressed with this as it is. I specifically don't like the idea that MSE requires the windows update service to be set to automatic as I never use it at that setting. Also the first time I attempted to download virus definitions it failed and didn't give me a reason for doing so...

However I must say the interface looks nice compared to avast (alwil needs to hurry up with avast 5 since the current interface is getting quite dull!) and the system resource drain isn't bad at all. I am going back to avast for now since MSE is still technically pre-release software.

10. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just came across a show stopper; DVDFab6 (which I’ve been using for a bit and has been flawless on my other machines) and MSE do not play well together.

On two machines, one Vista and the other 7 RC, every time DVDFab starts, MSE shuts down and then the whole system freezes. Took MSE off and the problem went away. I'm also starting to notice massive fluctuations in resources used, going from almost nothing to actually slowing down my systems now. I guess that's why they call it a beta. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.