Morphological AA (MLAA) The Good, Bad & Ugly

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ViciousXUSMC, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some games that use UE3 and few others don't support AA at all.

2. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. Rorschach

Rorschach Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    some what correct, they only support it under dx10

4. daranik

daranik Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great article, a few questions come up though. Can you show the difference of a game with all the levels of AA, like Crysis warhead to keep it simple. Take screens of the same screen with all the levels off aa, and then turn it off, take a pic, then turn on msaa , make it a gif , so we can compare it with something else.

The second part is if this really helps lower jaggies, then we can all push our current GPUs a bit harder. take crysis, I get a few more FPS by dropping from 1080p to 900p. I have a 52inch Sharp 1080p native LCD and I notice every little detail, but between 1080p and 900p there is hardly a difference. Dropping to 900p does afford me a bit higher settings and a slightly higher FPS. But now this begs the question, can you go down to something like 720p, and instead of dealing with rediculous JAGGIES, turning on MLAA and getting nearly the same image from the 1080p to the 720p with MLAA? Just curious, someone needs to compile a bunch of screens for use, different resolutions with AA on, AA off, MLAA on MLAA of, and stock image without both off, and also compare frame rate. Who ever does this would be a god.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    asder00 on the Guru3D forums has modified the Catalyst 10.10e hotfix drivers to work with Mobility GPUs. His modification doesn't require you to disable driver signature enforcement every time you boot. All features in the hotfix appear to be in-tact and working, including MLAA.

Link to the forum post, which contains links to sites where he's hosting the modified drivers.

6. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I like the 10.10E driver except that you no longer have the option to turn off the Cat AI.

There is a bug in the 10.10's that messes up pylon power in starcraft 2 and the fix seems to be to turn off the Cat AI and with these you cant do it anymore.

7. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The high quality setting in the AI disables the Catalyst Optimizations. High quality provides the best image possible. It's the same as off.

I'm going to try and install the 10.10e mod and then patch with it with TWL's mobility patch and see how SC2 is.

8. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vicious here you go:

10.10e + TWL Mobile Patch

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  9. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Hmm looks good, but is that low ground? the bug is odd in that pylon power is only gone on high ground it looks like it basically goes into the ground to the ground level.

What is the TWL Mobile Patch you speak of? (link)

10. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is high ground.

Not sure if I can link another forum. So google TWL Drivers, first link. If you scroll down on his post for downloads you'll see Mobility Patch v1.00. Just patch it over your 10.10e install. MLAA and the new features of 10.10e remain untouched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.