Morphological AA (MLAA) The Good, Bad & Ugly

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ViciousXUSMC, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Dont call me out on it because I am not sure, but I just want to say that I saw something about MLAA not working in crossfire right now.

2. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It looks neat and I'm sure we are better with it than without it, but I would much rather use real AA for games and not lose the detail. It might be fun to try it on the desktop though.

3. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    In a game that does not have much detail to begin with or a loose art style like say borderlands I think it would work pretty well.

4. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I feel like 6000 series GPU's should be able to handle 2-4x AA basically for free, with negligible performance loss.

Also, you can just run games in lower resolution and get a similar effect with performance enhancement!

5. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    lol not quite :D

6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Can't wait to try this out, with a Mobility 6870.

7. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    So, this is actually not true based on the benchmarks. Unfortunate.

Introduction - AMD Morphological AA Performance and IQ Review | [H]ard|OCP

Massive performance loss at 1080p + resolutions (massive). Less performance loss at 1680x1050, but still definitely there.

8. Rorschach

Rorschach Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    =/ yes thats exactly why I posted the link in my thread, my own testing in benchmark tools like 3dmark06 show its around the 20% area. Games seem to vary quite a bit sometimes, but I haven't tested a single one yet that was so low I couldn't tell it was on.

9. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MLAA is an awesome implementation. For this reason.

It's not a replacement for MSAA or SSAA as some of you IMO are trying to make it out to be. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I view MLAA.

MLAA is great for situations when AA is not readily available or supported by a game. That's why MLAA is a great feature so you can have AA in Batman AA or easier in SC2 which had issues with AA with ATi and it's not even an option in the game panel. Again, MLAA is great if you play Borderlands etc.

If a game has AA built in or has support for MSAA, then use MSAA.

That's what MLAA is about IMO for now. Later in the future when this tech develops more, maybe then it can become a standard or another option to MSAA and not just something to use when MSAA is not available. The way PS3 has implemented it shows that this tech has amazing potential for PC users also. But we can tell, AMD is still developing this with so many hotfix driver releases and we have yet to see a MLAA enabled driver for HD5xxx, which again tells AMD still has MLAA in the development stage.

10. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ruckus, I agree completely that MLAA is not a substitute for MSAA at all. But I was pretty sure that you can force MSAA in any application through the CCC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.