Morphological AA (MLAA) The Good, Bad & Ugly

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ViciousXUSMC, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rschauby

rschauby Superfluously Redundant

Reputations:
    I'd be more concerned about Nvidia games disabling it.

I sure hope they can make some more improvements on this, it sounds promising being post process and all, but I just don't see it as an improvement.

2. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    it looks like the image just got shoved through a low pass filter. i would not want that on any of my games.

3. classic77

classic77 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually like it...compared to No AA I mean...

Until theres a stable solution to implement it though, I wont worry about it.

Massive rep.

4. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have to see it for yourself. It depends on which games. SC2 really does look good with MLAA. Found L4D2 looks great with it. Fallout New Vegas not bad. Gothic 4 a bit too much overhead performance.

But as others have said, MSAA, SSAA is the recommended way to use AA IF you have the GPU capable. But for mobile users, AA cutting performance by 10-20 FPS on something that is only 40-60 FPS, MLAA is awesome.

For me I just decide, do I want something perfect clarity with jagged edge, or do I want something that looks like it's been filtered a little too much with smooth edges.

I tend to choose smooth edge since the performance is so good with MLAA so far. If performance hit too much, then I turn it off. Cause really the game performing well is the top priority for me, I don't take screenshots to look at the image in detail ever... Reviews that compare AF and quality images are useless to me as I never ever look that hard when I'm gaming. I just want a GPU that can play with the other requirements I have for a laptop.

5. City Pig

City Pig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with Ruckus. This isn't very helpful on high-end GPUs, but midrange and low-end ones could benefit greatly.

6. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Its only officially out for the 6000 series cards right now and those are midrange cards.

I think also when playing eyefinity resolutions 5760x1200 this could be nice because regular AA is really demanding even on the highest cards for a modern game. I often leave it off for that reason.

7. City Pig

City Pig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry, I meant lower midrange in terms of desktop cards.

Yeah, you have a point there.

8. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BTW the blurring of text can be rectified. The PS3 version doesn't have this problem because the HUD is processed after the 3D image is. This way the HUD remains crisp. So maybe in the future, this will be rectified for those who want it.

Also for those who are complaining of blurring without actually having seen it for yourself, check out these these two videos and you'll see when MLAA is working, it looks awesome. Also the MLAA has only been released as a feature for HD6xxx. AMD said they will backport, so while it is working by hacking the registry/INF settings, it sounds to me, AMD will optimize it further to work on HD5xxx and MLAA may see improvements.

God of War AA coming to PC/360? - Page 2 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

9. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    On the PS3 its inplimented at the game level. AKA the game supports it and was designed with it.

AMD just made this as an after the fact filter, no way they can impliment it only on the 3D until PC game developers implement it into there game properly.

10. ZP=WIN

ZP=WIN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i plan on cross firing 6850 with my new build so MLAA will definitely help out extending the life of that setup when the time comes. All jaggies must die when i play games so this is a nice bonus for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.