More Windows 10 shenanigans - Anniversary Update - all kernel mode drivers must be signed

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ethrem, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Opened a new Thread to track this problem RE: Steam

Steam Problems after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/steam-problems-after-windows-10-anniversary-update.794574/

It seems to be causing lots of trouble beyond the announced changes.

MSI Gaming Center is broken by the Anniversary update:

Windows Anniversary Update killed Dragon Gaming Center
    https://www.reddit.com/r/msilaptops/comments/4w2yjc/_/

And Steam problems (wow, it's happening already...)

Civilization 5. It says "preparing to install 1%" then says "The Steam Servers Are Too Busy To Handle Your Request. Error Code (2)" (I already have the data files, it's already downloaded/installed". I've reinstalled game/steam multiple times, verified game cache, googled it and cant find a fix ;~;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/steam/comments/4w2hl2/_/

Dr_Injection 4 points 10 hours ago*
    "Having the exact same issue. It seems to be affecting any game I tried to download after the Win10 anniversary update. Changing the DL server had no effect (the filed DLed fine the error occurs when you try 1st launch of game).

Edit: So Civ V and XCOM EW didn't work but Shadowrun Dragonfall did. I suspect it is because SR doesn't actually use Steam DRM."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Papusan and Raiderman like this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    So, tell me - are ads and telemetry in 10 Pro impossible to disable after Adversary Anniversary update - or not?

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Microsoft uses data gathered from telemetry to reduce Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollback period
    http://betanews.com/2016/08/04/roll-back-from-windows-10-anniversary-update/

"If you've upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you only have 10 days in which to roll back to your previous operating system if you change your mind. This is a dramatic reduction from the 30 days Microsoft allowed users previously.

As noted by Richard Hay on WinSuperSite, the latest big update to Windows 10 slashes this period by two thirds. This is not just an arbitrary change, however. Microsoft says it is based on data gathered via telemetry."

Papusan and Raiderman like this.
  4. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dunnow if that's really Windows 10's fault. The six Steam games I have on my SP4 all started just fine after installing the update. Will try getting Civ V going later today.

This is likely a kernel driver being blocked. Same or similar thing happens with Intel XTU and MBAE.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's either not getting noticed, or being reported in unrelated threads, as found by @Kana Chan above.

You can try and if you find Telemetry disables are broken, you can rollback - the Anniversary Edition cuts back the time you have to rollback from 30 days to 10 days, so check quickly :)

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yes, please do, it may be related to DRM as one of the posts said some games worked and some didn't after the Anniversary update:

"Edit: So Civ V and XCOM EW didn't work but Shadowrun Dragonfall did. I suspect it is because SR doesn't actually use Steam DRM."

And, it may be for new installs only for some games, while some games already installed are affected.

It could also be a coincidence with the problems happening at the same time as Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out, and it's purely a Steam problem :)

7. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What is the Vendor ID on your unknown device? I am kind of anal about my device manager having an unknown device. ;)

hmscott likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    @hmscott I would like a confirmation from someone on NBR. I personally didn't receive the update yet.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    I agree, it's best, but there are contradictory reports, with @Ethrem not seeing any change to his Windows 10 Pro Group Policy options - that's different than regular Windows 10 versions losing Telemetry registry effective control, but odd none-the-less.

YMMV, no matter what is reported is what I am saying.

Plus, do you really have a choice getting Updates with Windows 10?? I don't run it so I don't know, but I thought they were forced updates. How long can you delay?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Driver signing problem then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.