More Windows 10 shenanigans - Anniversary Update - all kernel mode drivers must be signed

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ethrem, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well good that 7 is stable on your machine but my ASUS board doesn't like it at all. So it's either 8.1, 10, or macOS, all of which my ASUS board fully supports but I don't like 8.1 even after a lot of tweaking so 10 it is.

Spartan likes this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just because yours only properly works with W10 does not mean most of us out here are not better off with W7. It may be just as fast is not faster, have more eye candy and be as, if not more, reliable.

I decided to give W10 one more chance listening to voices such as your own, TBH it sucks as bad as the day I gave up on it if not even worse now. I am holding on but not by much, something looks like it will break soon without some drastic changes, that I don't see ever happening.

hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  3. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had 8.1 on a surface pro, and didnt mind it too much. Start is back, and aero glass, made it palatable, but the horrendous modern (moDUMB) apps, just makes it unusable for me. I like to tweak my OS to my liking, and trying to find buried classic apps, is just a pain in the rear. I am sure with use, I would find my way around, but the complete lack of total control over my system is a deal breaker.

steberg and hmscott like this.
  4. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might find this hard to believe but Microsoft make it easy to disable UEFI Secure Boot on Surface Pro 4 and I assume similar on SP3 and Surface Book. In fact, unlike most other systems I've encountered, they offer *three* settings for UEFI security in the firmware menu: Microsoft only, Microsoft + 3rd party CA, and none.

hmscott likes this.
  5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, I got Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 with Asrock Z97 UEFI board and OC 4.2ghz i5-4960K and have no problems. And you forgot Linux....

Raiderman and hmscott like this.
  6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Linux isn't an option without a real monitor. Scaling is worse than Windows 10.

ASUS boards are finicky. I tried Windows 7 on mine twice and both times it was an unstable mess and since I use the AiSuite software to control the fans on my H100i, I need an OS that it works properly on. My H100i came with Corsair Link and I never got it to work so both fans are plugged into the motherboard and I use AiSuite to set the fans on silent. For some reason the UEFI refuses to do it despite it being set to.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @Ethrem - what is it about Windows 8 that makes you hate it?

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    BTW @Ethrem which model Asus motherboard do you have that has trouble with Windows 7??

And, Windows 8.1 with a few tweaks looks like / works like Windows 7, and you can get rid of all that Metro stuff, uninstalling the apps and disappearing the Metro screen. :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Solo wing likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Where, though?

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Where what? Where did he say that, I don't have the links, look at his postings, they have been recent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.