More Windows 10 shenanigans - Anniversary Update - all kernel mode drivers must be signed

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ethrem, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is not good news at all.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/...drivers-must-be-digitally-signed-by-microsoft

So those of us using unofficial drivers to make things work? Yeah that's done. If its not signed by Microsoft, it won't work anymore. The vast amount of drivers that don't have Microsoft signatures is staggering... And this is effectively the end of modded drivers.

Okay so I dug a bit deeper.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/windows-10-version-1607-driver-signing-changes/

For now, just turn off Secure Boot if you're using it. Of course, Microsoft can change course on that at any time. It also only affects new installations from 1607 on up, not upgrades, so if you're already running Windows 10 you don't have to worry about it... For now. Microsoft clearly is flexing their muscles more and more with each "update," taking away user power bit by bit... And I'm pissed about not being able to disable Cortana anymore without using a hack tool or going through a bunch of self hacks to do it.

Going through using the Kernel Mode Drivers Manager - http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/27494-kernel_mode_drivers_manager - I have discovered that my VPN would be broken, my Broadcom WiFi would be broken, and so would my Intel ethernet adapter. So no internet and no secure internet. Lovely.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad I jumped ship few days ago, downgraded to 8 + GWX + Classic shell.
    Does that mean If I clean install Windows 10, I won't able to used a modded driver for my 980M?
    PS3 controller driver and synaptics latest driver strangely requires driver signature disabled. EDIT: exceptions are secureboot-less systems, never used that crap anyway.
    Dr-Evil-Laser.jpg

Ethrem, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    It seems a logical step for secureboot-enabled systems. However, disabling that crap can be very challenging on some machines.

Ethrem likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And witch of the big OEM's will be the frontman with fully locked down Firmvare in all their new models aka no possibility to disable secure boot?:D

5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The biggest issue I see is that Microsoft has seemingly left it open... meaning that they can change their stance at any time and start enforcing it period regardless of the conditions. It was definitely irritating to find that I would be without internet or VPN though... All of my other kernel mode drivers are signed, even the ASUS stuff.

Going to Linux isn't an option for me... not until I get a real monitor... Scaling is worse than Windows 10... Going back to 8.1 isn't an option either and neither is 7. 7 will take hours and hours to install and update, I can't stand 8.1 and never could, and quite frankly 10 is a damn good OS... Microsoft is just messing it up... More and more with each update... And my Xbox is about to get the Anniversary treatment too..............

But yes, it does spell some doom and gloom for when Microsoft gets the OEMs to agree to Secure Boot out of the box. No more open source (VirtualBox? Nope). No more HID 3rd party drivers like MotionInJoy or DS4Tool... Serious ramifications.

6. hungle

hungle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does Windows have a built-in function to show (signed/unsigned) kernel mode drivers?

Ethrem likes this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The kernel mode manager app I posted makes it easy. Filter out Microsoft signatures and then right click and verify signature on down the list.

hungle likes this.
  8. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    More reason people will dump Windows 10.

They have the cumulative W7 update to April 2016 so installing it isn't going to take hours.

In the eye of the beholder only. If it was that good why is it still dead last with XP. That is more then enough to inform everyday users they don't trust Windows 10 nor want Windows 10. And all their games they play just helps to turn off more people then they like to get using it.

Kent T, toughasnails and Ethrem like this.
  9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have never had stability issues with Windows 10. I can't say that for 7 or 8.1 and 10 just absolutely flies. From the time I see the RoG logo to the time I'm at the desktop (including entering my PIN) is 12 seconds and half that is the lock screen.

Windows 7 doesn't work correctly in UEFI and ASUS boards aren't known to work well with the CSM enabled. I never liked 8.1 so that leaves 10 or macOS.

10. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Zero stability issues with windows 7, and I have hacked the hell out of the registry...:p. Boot times are an irrelevant stat that means pretty much nothing. You stick a crappy gui on today's hardware, anything will seem like it flies. I can turn classic mode on in windows 7, and have that same feeling. If I have to look at my computer screen for long periods of time, it might as well look nice.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.