More ram or 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by pression, Jun 7, 2013.

1. pression

pression Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I was thinking about buying the HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC
    I am going in computer science and will use that laptop for school and also for medias. I need minimum 1TB of storage.

You can custom build this laptop and I have the option between 16 gig of ram and no 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache OR 8 gig of ram and a 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache. For some reasons I can't have 16gig and the Acceleration Drive. Wich of those options will help me more? Yes I know I can later upgrade my ram for less.

I was thinking about buying that build
    With a coupon I can get it for 1020$ or 1070$ with 16 gig of ram and no 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache

What do you guys think? Or do you know a better deal. I want similar specs and a touchscreen. I would like it to still be good for minimum another 5 years.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 1TB hybrid hard drive already has a SSD cache built-in, so I wouldn't bother with a separate cache. As for the RAM, it's *much* cheaper to buy that aftermarket and install it yourself. I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't have both though. Actually, you could probably just buy a "real" mSATA SSD aftermarket, install it, and place your OS and program install on that, leaving the 1TB drive to bulk storage (though if you do that, I'd just get a regular 1TB drive, not the hybrid one).

It would be helpful if you filled out this sticky though: http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...ould-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html. Computer Science (at least in the BS level) isn't very hardware-demanding, so I don't see much of a reason to get 16GB of RAM. And if you're not gaming, I can think of a few better laptops to get for that budget.

3. pression

pression Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok and between the 1TB 5400RPM Hybrid Hard Drive(40$ more) and the 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache(30$)....Wich one is the best?

4. Hybrys

Hybrys That Damn Cactuar!

Reputations:
    5400rpm HDDs are really slow, regardless of caching. Could you live with less space, such as 250gb? If so, this would be my preferred config, for the best in speed and value.

Windows 8 64
    • 4th generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    • Backlit Keyboard
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    • 802.11b/g/n WLAN

$949.99

Remove and sell the 1tb HDD (-$50)
    Purchase and add a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD ($250)

$1199.99 (-$50, if you can sell the HDD)

As mentioned, you'll almost never use more than 8gb of RAM. If you're sure you want 16gb, change the RAM to 8gb 1 DIMM, then get another 8gb stick. Moving to a small, solid state hard drive would give you a WAY faster computer than the extra 8gb of RAM, or the Hard Drive Acceleration Cache.

5. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if the mSSD is not proprietry/ in an msata slot ie an msata slot is present in your system
    I would go for the setup as above but keeping and HDD, and get an aftermarket msata SSD for the system

Always do the non-proprietry upgrades from the aftermarket, except for CPU and MXM-GPU

6. Hybrys

Hybrys That Damn Cactuar!

Reputations:
    mSATA SSDs are slower, and some manufacturers don't allow aftermarket mSATA SSDs to be used as boot drives.

7. pitacorp

pitacorp Newbie

Reputations:
    would getting a hybrid hard drive at 7200 RPM with the acceleration cache be a good step up as well??

8. Jarhead

Reputations:
    It wouldn't be much different from having just a regular HDD + separate mSATA cache. Personally, I'd either just stick to a hybrid HDD and have no mSATA cache, or have an mSATA cache but a regular hard drive.

9. agonyzt

agonyzt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Slower? Tell that to my Mushkin Atlas 128GB mSATA SSD. ~480MB read/write speed with CrystalMark :)

10. Jarhead

Reputations:
    2.5" SSDs are typically at 500 to 550 MB/s in both directions. Not that this is subjectively noticeable, but it's true that mSATAs are slightly slower.