1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

More ram or 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by pression, Jun 7, 2013.

1. pression

pression Newbie

Hello, I was thinking about buying the HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC
    I am going in computer science and will use that laptop for school and also for medias. I need minimum 1TB of storage.

You can custom build this laptop and I have the option between 16 gig of ram and no 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache OR 8 gig of ram and a 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache. For some reasons I can't have 16gig and the Acceleration Drive. Wich of those options will help me more? Yes I know I can later upgrade my ram for less.

I was thinking about buying that build
    With a coupon I can get it for 1020$ or 1070$ with 16 gig of ram and no 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache

What do you guys think? Or do you know a better deal. I want similar specs and a touchscreen. I would like it to still be good for minimum another 5 years.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

The 1TB hybrid hard drive already has a SSD cache built-in, so I wouldn't bother with a separate cache. As for the RAM, it's *much* cheaper to buy that aftermarket and install it yourself. I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't have both though. Actually, you could probably just buy a "real" mSATA SSD aftermarket, install it, and place your OS and program install on that, leaving the 1TB drive to bulk storage (though if you do that, I'd just get a regular 1TB drive, not the hybrid one).

It would be helpful if you filled out this sticky though: http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...ould-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html. Computer Science (at least in the BS level) isn't very hardware-demanding, so I don't see much of a reason to get 16GB of RAM. And if you're not gaming, I can think of a few better laptops to get for that budget.

3. pression

pression Newbie

Ok and between the 1TB 5400RPM Hybrid Hard Drive(40$ more) and the 24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache(30$)....Wich one is the best?

4. Hybrys

Hybrys That Damn Cactuar!

5400rpm HDDs are really slow, regardless of caching. Could you live with less space, such as 250gb? If so, this would be my preferred config, for the best in speed and value.

Windows 8 64
    • 4th generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    • Backlit Keyboard
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    • 802.11b/g/n WLAN

$949.99

Remove and sell the 1tb HDD (-$50)
    Purchase and add a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD ($250)

$1199.99 (-$50, if you can sell the HDD)

As mentioned, you'll almost never use more than 8gb of RAM. If you're sure you want 16gb, change the RAM to 8gb 1 DIMM, then get another 8gb stick. Moving to a small, solid state hard drive would give you a WAY faster computer than the extra 8gb of RAM, or the Hard Drive Acceleration Cache.

5. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

if the mSSD is not proprietry/ in an msata slot ie an msata slot is present in your system
    I would go for the setup as above but keeping and HDD, and get an aftermarket msata SSD for the system

Always do the non-proprietry upgrades from the aftermarket, except for CPU and MXM-GPU

6. Hybrys

mSATA SSDs are slower, and some manufacturers don't allow aftermarket mSATA SSDs to be used as boot drives.

7. pitacorp

pitacorp Newbie

would getting a hybrid hard drive at 7200 RPM with the acceleration cache be a good step up as well??

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

It wouldn't be much different from having just a regular HDD + separate mSATA cache. Personally, I'd either just stick to a hybrid HDD and have no mSATA cache, or have an mSATA cache but a regular hard drive.

9. agonyzt

agonyzt Notebook Guru

Slower? Tell that to my Mushkin Atlas 128GB mSATA SSD. ~480MB read/write speed with CrystalMark :)

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

2.5" SSDs are typically at 500 to 550 MB/s in both directions. Not that this is subjectively noticeable, but it's true that mSATAs are slightly slower.

11. vacaloca

vacaloca Notebook Consultant

The link below would seem like one would be able to boot from the MSATA or NGFF M.2 slot, whichever it is:
    Amazon.com: HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC (Silver); Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 15.6" Touch Screen Display, 870GB's via Dual Hard Drives (120GB SSD + 750GB 5400RPM), 8GB DDR3 RAM: Computers & Accessories

Is it known if the 15t-j000 comes with an MSATA or NGFF M.2 slot? If the latter, what is the maximum length?

12. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

I do believe if anyone feels a real life difference it would most likely be a placebo effect, and also I don't think it is wise talking sequential R/W, it is the 4K R/W thats important on real life performance, seq R/W are just for bragging unless you copy from SSD to SSD, works kind of like post 8Gb ram, its just for bragging unless software specifies you to have more

13. Hybrys

See, but you're comparing the top end mSATA device to a mid-end SATA3 SSD. If you go mid to mid, it's more like 250/200 vs 450/400. High to high, it's more like 450/400 vs 550/550. They're getting better, but they're still slower. As someone with RAID0 SSDs, I would have thought you would understand the desire for speed.

14. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

did I spill my setup on my sig? o well, coming from a sammy 830 I'd say it doesn't make such difference, it doesn't feel any better nor faster
    the reason that I had it as raid is because my games library exceeded the original 256Gb SSD and it costs roughly the same having the 840pro 512Gb or 2*m5m 256Gb, thats why I went for the speed....with a lower 4k read

15. Manav

Manav Newbie

has anyone bought this laptop yet?? any issues with heating? or battery backup.

16. PimpMyRide

PimpMyRide Newbie

Did you buy this laptop ? If so, is it working fine ? I mean any issues with the heating or anything ? And also did the above configuration worked out for you ?

17. guccikaine

guccikaine Newbie

I purchased the
    HP ENVY 17t Quad
    • Windows 8 64 (updated to 8.1 pro)
    • 4th gen Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M GPU
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • Bluray disk drive
    24gb mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration cache
    When I purchased the computer through HP I was also prompted with a dialog box that said I was unable to increase my ram any higher than 8 gb due to the mSSD hard drive cache. Did HP make a mistake and it is possible to increase the ram from 8 to 16 gb or am I restricted to only 8 gb of ram. If this is the case, why is that? As far battery life I get about 5 hours on a full charge, however I did end up removing the battery and only use the power cord when ever I am playing League of Legends. I have HP Cool sense enabled and I don't have a lot of heat coming from the machine even when I am multitasking such as itunes, skype, and LOL all running at once. The 4th gen I7 helps the reduce heat also. As far as sound quality with the Beats Audio, it is clean and loud, both my music and movies sound excellent. The one feature I wish that HP would have kept from the previous Envy model is the track pad on/off feature in the upper left corner.