More LIES from Apple...this time regarding their "water resistance claims"

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by kojack, Nov 30, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes I've read the reports. Last year the case was against Samsung S9/10 which was water damaged and Aussie user won a case with Samsung for false advertising of water resistance. The user in defense said he said "He paid for flagship because it had ip rating for 2-3m."

killkenny1 and kojack like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Me too. I spend lots of time outdoors camping, taking photographs, etc. Was one of the reasons I splurged on the iphone 11 because of the claimed water resistance.

4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    It makes sense, as it is false advertisement. You have phone manufacturers like Sammy and Apple who boast IP sixty-soomething features, but then it gets damaged withing requirements for those standards - "sorry, it's no covered under warranty."
    Well why the hell are you advertising phone having such protection then?!? You talk the talk, but do you walk the walk? If not, remove it from phone TDS and stop advertising having such features!

Vasudev likes this.
  7. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This whole issue would be irrelevant if phones did not cost so ungodly much. I remember the days when I had $200 Moto Razer in my pocket. My then 2 year old decided she wanted to get in the pool while at a neighbor's Memorial Day party. Suffice it to say, putting a drowned phone in the oven didn't get me anywhere!

The point is cell phones are a terrible investment. We carry them on us everywhere we go. Rain, snow. They go where we go. At least intentionally. Phones slip out of hands. They slip out of pockets when sitting down. Slips, trips and falls are anticipated hazards. As prices have gone up, so has the availability of "insurance", creation of Otterbox tank cases, etc. An entire cottage industry has been created because consumers are willing to pay market rates for technology that is both functional and looks good. Cool factor.

Cell phone water resistance claims are, to me, just marketing hype. Scratch free. Long battery life. Total data privacy. In the end, a cell phone is a cell phone. Makes calls. Has some useful functionality while on the go. But, it's still a disposable commodity. Good question to ask is how long can we keep a cell phone before having to replace. My wife's iphone 8 plus is 3 years old. My govt cell phone is 4 years old. What will drive us to replace is lack of OS support (next year for me; two years for my wife). Five years for a $1000 phone is pretty good.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Now they write in small as disclaimer, water damage not covered. I think laptops had accidental protection since a decade with more pores and no rubber gaskets.
    Are you using a 6S/7? Do you remember smaller Nokia's survived water splash, accidental falls even w/o IP rating. I remember my 1100i or whatever soaked in water due to loose bottle cap and only battery was affected. Screen was fuzzy with dew but it recovered.

9. GrandesBollas

Reputations:
    Cell phones were never intended to be used in diving scenarios. Incidental contact with rain. Dropped in snow. Dropped in puddle when it falls out of shirt pocket. End users are rightfully concerned with what happens to $1000+ equipment. Get insurance. Get Apple Care. Etc. The fact is cell phones should never have been allowed to break the $500 barrier. My Dell Axim Pocket PC cost me less than $200. I used to tether it to my Motorola V710. Since moving to the DC area in 1999, when I got my first cell phone, I have never had to get an insurance replacement.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  10. GrandesBollas

Reputations:
    When this marketing hype first came out, I found this video from Mr Mobile which pretty much sums this issue up:

Papusan and Vasudev like this.