Montevina and Nehalem confusion

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by anexanhume, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THAANSA3

THAANSA3 Exit Stage Left

Reputations:
    I'm not trying to start some sparring session over the internet, but if it pops up every time something new is released, then you should be used to it by now. It seems like you're extremely agitated and I just don't get it. Anyway, maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Good day, sir.:cool:

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Everything in Moderation

Reputations:
    I agree--I don't want the first widget off the assembly line. Waiting a couple months allows manufacturers to fix quality control issues in the manufacturing process, and possibly also some minor design flaws. I think this applies to almost all manufactured items, not just computers.

Additionally, prices usually drop after a couple of months from first release.

3. THAANSA3

THAANSA3 Exit Stage Left

Reputations:
    Indeed. I think I'll wait since having a laptop right now would be more a convenience than an actual need.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Everything in Moderation

Reputations:
    Just to make clear, I was not (in general) referring to "Santa Rosa refresh" machines, since most are the same model as before, and merely have a Penryn instead of a Merom, and thus most manufacturering bugs should have been worked out months ago.

Rather, I was referring to new models that are introduced with the new platforms (next being Montevina).

5. darksiege

darksiege Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But after you wait a few months for the manufacturing errors to be corrected, new technology will be around the corner ;)

6. THAANSA3

THAANSA3 Exit Stage Left

Reputations:
    I know . . .

By the way, here is something I found while trying to find more information about the new Montevina platform. This may be old news to most, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

[​IMG]
    Focus on the numbers, not the language.;)

7. Mr. Miller

Mr. Miller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My advice, buy a few months after the Montevina chipset is released. It will come with a penryn processor and when nehylum processors are released(aka Montevina Refresh), you can upgrade with one of those whenever you want to or whenever you need to until the last nehylum processor is released for the Montevina platfrom.

Or buy one now with the Santa Rosa chipset, max it out with ugrades and wait for the capella chipset to be released.

CAUTION: This however may not be good advice for gamers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.