1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Monitoring Notebook Temps: nVidia & ATI, CPU, HDD - Do your temps worry you?

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by Gophn, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anei

Anei Newbie

probably stupid question, but i cant c my CPU temp.
    idk, if anybody can help me, but i have a question.like a week back, my laptop starts shutting down when i ran on max power (in power settings it means full processor power and max. LCD brightness) and i dont have to do any stressfull aplications, it just shut down during video chat or so.it is weird, cause i was running games on it just few weeks ago that were taking max outta my laptop and i didnt even had an cooler pad i bought like 4 weeks ago and it was running just fine, but now it crashes like after 40 minutes of homeworld 2:( anybody any idea?

2. Gophn

Gophn NBR Resident Assistant

If you are overheating... usually any temp over 90C degrees is bad.

when was the last time that you cleaned out the fans and vents thoroughly...?

if never, then thats why.

1) remove battery
    2) remove/unscrew the panels on the bottom of the notebook to get to fans and vents
    3) use flashlight to look through vents for the dust
    4) go outside, get some compressed air (cans or compressor) and give the vents a good airing out all directions (concentrating on the fans and vents)
    5) go get some Q-tips and swab the fan blades and the area around it
    6) then go do a second airing with compressed air (all directions again focusing on the fans and vents) to push out the dust that was dislodged from the Q-tips

7*) Now go use the flashlight again and look through the vents (shine the flashlight from the fan, you look through the other end) for anymore dust clogs.

8) Then start up the notebook... and let the fans cycle up (use the Fan Toggle at max speed) to push out any other dust that might have been stuck.

If all goes well you should be able to close up the notebook and...

you're done.

*repeat this step until its cleaned out.

Thats pretty much it. :)

Just make sure to do this every two-three months... it should take about 15-20min per cleaning if you want to be thorough.

Gaming notebooks are a new thing, you must realize that you have to take some extra care of them over typical use notebooks:

1) Battery: to maintain the longevity of any rechargeable battery
    - you must NEVER overcharge it [especially for long durations of time] by keeping it plugged into AC
    - when it reaches 100% you should unplug it and let it discharge to 5-15%, then plug it back to power
    - OR you can just charge it to 50%+ and remove the battery and store in cool place.. not the fridge [remember to use it occasionally 3-4 time a year to charge and discharge it].

2.) Heat: to prevent a healthy notebook from overheating
    - ALWAYS use the notebook on a clean, hard & flat surface
    - RECOMMENDED to be used on a notebook cooler... namely the Zalman ZM-NC1000 or ZM-NC2000
    - check your fans underneath occasionally (at least once a month or two) for any dust clogs [clean them out with Q-tips and air cans/compressors]
    - ALWAYS monitor the temps (CPU, GPU, HDD, etc..) to watch for fluctuations, which would indicate overheating by dust usually
    (for Clevo notebooks) use the Fan Toggle to switch all fans to Max Speed when gaming and such.

By doing these simple things, your entire system will easily last for more than 3 years.

3. wrighton

wrighton Notebook Consultant

Probably a good idea to warn him to hold the fan blade so that the mechanism doesn't get stripped when blowing on it with compressed air.

4. Gophn

I have done this cleaning on many systems without holding the fans, it has not damaged any fans yet.... my air compressor never gets past 100PSI when I do my cleanings.

5. kiluxi

kiluxi Notebook Enthusiast

i got a m570ru with 7950 gtx and windows xq with riva tuner and the temperature of my gpu is 0ºC and don´t change

6. Gophn

I went over this before... forgot where:
    - you choose Plug and Play monitor i think, instead of the default display in RivaTuner.

Or if you are using Vista 32-bit, use Rivatuner to SP2 compatibility.

7. kiluxi

i don´t know what i did but now it shows me the temperature.thanks

8. kiluxi

with default monitor it shows me the temperature but with plug and play its on 0ºC. but the overclocking its on plug and play, it does important?

9. Gophn

for OC'ing its not important which display you choose.

10. BLACKMAMBA123

BLACKMAMBA123 Notebook Guru

kindly reply this.........

11. jack53

jack53 Samsung Ultra Lover!

Uhh... I think 98% of all notebook users leave their battery in their notebooks. ;)

12. Gophn

Lemme make an update to the guide for Vista users.

In XP, my guide works perfect everytime.

Vista locks RivaTuner out of some features... unless if you disable certain Vista measures (like the annoying UAC).

13. Gophn

Unfortunately that is true... and if those users do not discharge their batteries... the life of the battery will diminish quickly.

Within a year, the batterylife is usually decreased... and after two years of this habit, the battery would barely hold a decent charge.

Certain notebooks (like Lenovo) have utilities to prevent overcharges... like this:
    [​IMG]

Windows needs this feature for notebooks... because its an epidemic that no one seems to care until they have to replace their batteries (for around $80+)

14. jack53

jack53 Samsung Ultra Lover!

Great info!
    Maybe I'll conserve my 9 cell battery and just leave my 6 cell in?

15. Gophn

keep them batteries healthy people. :)

16. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

HP bussiness class have that thing.
    While plugged in my nx9420 always stayed at 99%.
    After 2 years ,the thing still packs 3 hours of battery like on a 17 inch screen and a mobility x1600 :D

17. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

Greetings everyone!

I burned out my video card for the first time unfortunately (horrible experience I would say) but I am fortunate enough that it's still covered under warranty. But warranties are set to expire so I have to be serious from now on taking good care of my investment.

So I figured best way to start is to monitor temps (cpu, gpu, hd, system), in which I am getting frustrated as I haven't been lucky so far. I think I downloaded every application ever made for this (RivaTuner 2.08, HDmonitor, GetThermal for D900K, Everest, Notebook Hardware Control, tons more) they're all great apps but none of them displays my GPU temp. I followed the instructions at the beginning regarding RivaTuner configuration but no dice, what am I missing?

Apologies in advance if this had been answered before, but any insights will do.

Thanks.

Specs:

Alienware Aurora M7700
    Mobo: D900K, BIOS Version: 1.00.07A
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.20GHZ
    RAM: 2GB
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6800 GO Ultra 256 MB

18. Gophn

Welcome to the NBR forums. :)

I have the same notebook using XP Pro 32-bit, I use RMclock for my CPU and Battery.

I use RivaTuner for my GPU.

Are you not getting a temp? or is it at zero?

19. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

Thanks, I have XP Pro 32-bit too.

When I'm using RivaTuner and click customize on the Main tab, I get tons of datasources but no gpu core temp. Then, I went to Plugins and insert dll's there one by one, the Everest.dll and SMART.dll works for cpu and hd monitoring, but dll's for GeForce 6x00 series does nothing. (RivaTuner 2.08)

I'm using GetThermal for CPU and HD temps.

20. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

Just additional tidbits, the NVIDIA Forceware version I'm using now is 163.75 that I took from laptopvideo2go.com. I tried it first with the original and current gpu driver from Alienware (8.4.2.6) but this didn't work too.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.