1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Monitoring Notebook Temps: nVidia & ATI, CPU, HDD - Do your temps worry you?

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by Gophn, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megszalott

megszalott Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK. I think I know the reason for my problem. The RivaTuner Statistics Server was not running.

The lowest GPU Temp. Full vent speed:

[​IMG]

On AC power, Full vent speed:

[​IMG]

Oh, and thank you for the tutorials.

2. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey Gophn, just an FYI, RivaTuner is now version 2.24. In your guide you state it as v2.05:
    You links still point to the right site though :)

EDIT: Thought I'd add this here..
    To monitor my GPU temp, I use this Sidebar gadget: http://download.orbmu2k.de/files/nvidia.zip (sorry, I only have the direct download link :(). I use dual monitors, so I keep the sidebar on my secondary monitor so I can see this gadget while I'm gaming.

3. tracyq

tracyq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Admission: I haven't bothered to read this whole thread, so...

I only know that I had a Sager 9860 that was super, in it's time, for gaming until I installed a temp monitoring/fan speed app. Shortly thereafter, it wouldn't run games for --high temp warning would constantly come on when running flightsims or any intensive games.

I cleaned it, I did everything I could think of, or find on the internet, to fix this problem, but eventually ended up with a $3000 web surfer.

Don't know if this applies here (again, I didn't read the whole thread), but, buyer beware.

4. Gophn

Gophn NBR Resident Assistant

Reputations:
    if the vents are really cleaned out and the temps are still high.... then...
    - you might need to open up the videocard module and re-apply thermal compound.
    - you need to use the Fan Toggle (Fn+F2) to switch all fans to max speed when gaming.
    - (optional) get a good notebook cooler like Zalman ZM-NC2000

5. Gophn

Reputations:
    Updated.... finally.

enjoy the detailed RivaTuner video tutorial. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3BbI-8ICk

RivaTuner Video Tutorial:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IU3BbI-8ICk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IU3BbI-8ICk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [​IMG]

Note: this is the video version, the full high-definition shockwave navigation version guide will be up on Gophn.com :D

6. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very nice, I like :)

I'm excited to see the the shockwave version on Gophn.com !

7. mi3x

mi3x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok so I followed the video tutorial step by step with rivatuner to monitor the temps, it worked just fine last night, but I change the start up with windows option. Now I double checked everything, it's the same, I have the hardware monitor running, the server running, riva running, the temps are shown in tray, but not in game... what could be the problem? :-??

8. mi3x

mi3x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How can I run the statistics server before running the hardware monitor? Is there any other way to launch the server besides from the hardware monitor? Thanks.

LE: I spent about 2 hours trying to understand what I have done wrong... but it was just the game. I was playing hellgate, it didn't show the scores, but in all other games, it worked. what a waste of time, should ve tried another game earlier. lol

9. Gophn

Reputations:
    thats strange, the RivaTuner OSD should show up in every Direct3D and OpenGL games.

10. mi3x

mi3x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yup that's really strange, moreover yesterday it worked in hellgate as well, but not today. But I could monitor the temps by showing them in the little logitech display near the screen, though that's not as practical as having them on the big screen.
    Anyway a great tutorial, thanks Gophn!

LE: forgot to say, +repped!

11. Gophn

Reputations:
  12. ambientmf

ambientmf Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but for the longest time I could not get the Aero theme to work correctly on my Vista Business x64. I closed out a bunch of programs, one at a time, to see which one was conflicting with Aero and lo-and-behold it was the RivaTuner Statistics Server app (RTSS.exe). I always use it to monitor my temperatures in-game. Not sure if it's been mentioned before, just thought I should post it in case anyone was having issues.

By the way, great guide!

13. CAVIAR888

CAVIAR888 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very Fabulous Guide

Now my question is;
    Would it be any other CPU Temp software that could work with Riva Tuner beside the Ultimate Everest (paid software)? if yes, please guide me how to work it together with RT. thanks in advance.

14. Gophn

Reputations:
    yes there is.

Real Temp will work as well since it will give the CPU info into a RivaTuner plugin... like the Everest Ultimate.

Works only for Intel Core CPUs (single Core Soo, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and new Core i7) at this moment.

15. L4d_Gr00pie

L4d_Gr00pie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey umm I just reinstalled vista, and I absolutely don't remember how I got rivatuner working in 64-bit last time.. I get the message to restart my computer to disable driver signing, but when it restarts the driver signing is still there..? But I had it working on my previous vista installation. But my previous vista was pretty broken too :/ Any tips?

I am running vista/ubuntu x64 in dual boot if that changes anything.

16. sinizter

sinizter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have found that the programs listed here all give me different CPU temperature readings; some of the differences are nearly 15C higher, that reading normally coming from HWMonitor.

Which program should I actually trust?

Running on a T6500/ATI 4570 if that helps.

Furthermore, GPU temps aren't listed.

Suggestions?

17. L4d_Gr00pie

Reputations:
    I personnally found HW monitor to be really accurate. I'd suggest this one. Everest ultimate is also great, although limited in the trial version. They both give me the same temps for CPU,HDD,GPU.

And do you mean the gpu temps aren't showing in any of the programs? (Like the 2 I mentioned?)

18. sinizter

Reputations:
    Precisely.

Too bad, HWMonitor is always the hottest readings :p

19. L4d_Gr00pie

Reputations:
    Well basing yourself on the highest rating is the safest way to go, so I would stick with hw monitor. And if your gpu temps aren't showing, then that's pretty weird.. Maybe you don't have any sensor? What's your notebook? (and your gpu?)

20. sinizter

Reputations:
    Asus U80V.

ATI 4570.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.