1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Monitoring Notebook Temps: nVidia & ATI, CPU, HDD - Do your temps worry you?

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by Gophn, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gophn

Gophn NBR Resident Assistant

Reputations:
    if it is fully dedicated there is no reason why RivaTuner would not pick it up... just make sure to disable UAC and driver signing.

try HWmonitor to see if it reads the videocard's temp

2. Cobraman10176

Cobraman10176 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hardware monitor is where I get the Temps from it identifies it just fine, how do I disable UAC and Driver signing?

3. Gophn

Reputations:
  4. Cobraman10176

Cobraman10176 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok followed the links you sent rivatuner detects the card, correctly, but no temp, clock speed or other available

5. Gophn

Reputations:
    if RivaTuner, HWmonitor, etc... can not detect the temp, then there might not be a temp monitor sensor.... which is uncommon for Nvidia cards.

But ATI cards for a while had the same issue, no temp monitoring due to the lack of a temp sensor.

6. Kocayine

Kocayine Formerly 'myDooM'

Reputations:
    My temps while doing some word work, internet and basic programs at school.
    I think they're alright?

Attached Files:

7. Gophn

Reputations:
    looks fine. :)

8. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    rebdk, how cold is your room?
    Those temperatures seem kind of low to me
    Are you using a laptop cooler, or do you just have the air conditioning blaring

K-TRON

9. Kocayine

Kocayine Formerly 'myDooM'

Reputations:
    well it is lifted a bit from the table.. thats about it

10. Wtchr

Wtchr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried using HWMonitor to detect the temp on my HP DV5T harddrive. It's a Fujitsu MHZ2250 BH. It's a 250GB HD. HWMonitor doesn't show the temp for it. Anyone else have this problem?

11. vestibule1443

vestibule1443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great guide!

i got rivatuner working and its great program but cant get it to display either fps or temp in crysis which was my main purpose for getting the program since i need to keep a close eye on my temps (ive seen them get to 88C). any ideas?

im really bummed that NHC doesnt work with 64-bit because as you know the m860tu hdd temperature is a concern for most owners and it would be great to be able to monitor both GPU temps and HDD temps from the system tray. I know hardware monitor works but i have to alt+tab rather than the system tray to see it and i have to launch the program at each startup. is there another program that can do that?

i used a program called StatBar on xp and it was great http://www.statbar.nl/. As far as i can tell its no longer supported though :(. it would put a 20 pixel bar at the top or bottom of the screen that would let you monitor cpu, ram, network usage, battery, etc all with graph displays. i know there are widgets for the sidebar, but i would much prefer being able to watch these components on the fly with an always on top program that doesnt take up so much screen real estate.

12. cubanresourceful

cubanresourceful Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it bad if my processor continually goes over 80 degress Celsius? How can I cool it without buying external coolers? The laptop gets so hot that I cannot even use it on my lap!

It's a Toshiba Satellite running an Athlon 64 X2. XD

13. Gophn

Reputations:
    1) you are not supposed to use it on your lap, especially if you are blocking the bottom vents/fans.... which will not get enough airflow to properly cool the notebook.

2) you should only use the notebook on clean, hard, flat surfaces....
    - NEVER on soft surfaces like beds, couches, laps, etc...
    - if you really want to use it on your lap, get a LapDesk or hard, flat spare wood panel.

3) make sure to clean out the vents and fans of the notebook regularly (once a month at least) with compressed air (cans or compressor).

14. cmchen0

cmchen0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I better start watching out about my laptop temperature

15. aceZsta

aceZsta Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got an m1530 with an 8600m GT DDR3. While playing Crysis Warhead GPU temp reached 84C and CPU temp gets to 80C. Every 2 minutes the friggin game downclocks to like 3-4 fps for like 40 sec before going back to a smooth 25-30 fps...

Is it supposed to be doing this? Shouldn't a laptop GPU be able to push 95C without it being too dangerous? I'm currently using the 179.28 official beta drivers from nvidia.

Part of it is that the desk in my dorm room is pretty crowded...the desk at my house is not and i've noticed lower idle/gaming temps there. Would something like a USB cooling pad help a lot with the random downclocks?

16. Hirohata

Hirohata NBR BRO-ducer

Reputations:
    GPU temps are still within safe limits, but your CPU is way too hot. You should definitely try cleaning out your vents and fan. See if that helps lower your temps. CPU should generally max out at around 60C.

17. midnitdragoon

midnitdragoon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys i have a quick question. Im running a Sager 9260 and am montoring the temps now since ive been getting some recent slowdowns in game.

I sprayed some compressed air into the vents and now monitoring temps for last 15-20 minutes~. These are my results...

Tempertures Via Everest Ultimate Edition

CPU--- 52C(124)
    CPU#1/Core#1---48C to 52C(118F)
    CPU#1/Core#---46C(115F)
    GPU Diode---90C(194F)
    FUJITSU MHW2120BH---39C(102F) <---------Hard Drive???

EDIT- I also am running riva tuner. It says my CORE TEMP is 84 to 85C. I dont know which one is more accurate. So yea, heelp hehe.
    Are these numbers too high now? Ive ran the game for a while, so am wondering if these are numbers that i should worry about. Any help on my question would be great!!!!

edit 2- I checked my laptop cooler and it also has dust build upo in the fans i will definable use compressed air later wen i buy more. Maybe that is causing heating issues. Also, the video card my laptop has a a nvidia go 7950 gtx 512 mb. I heard some video cards run hotter than others. Whats th right range for the one in particular?

18. megszalott

megszalott Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi

Nice guide here Gophn. I installed RivaTuner v2.22, and it displayed the GPU temp fine while gaming. After a restart I open the hardware monitoring window, but it won't display the temps anymore, while gaming. Reinstalled RivaTuner, and it was the same again: good untill a restart. Do you know about this problem?
    D900t, with vista home sp1.

19. Gophn

Reputations:
    if you cleaned out the vents and fans thoroughly, the temps should stay under 90C.... which is safe for a high-end card.

if the temp remains high after a cleaning:
    - make sure the system is being used on a clean, hard, flat surface so the bottom vents/fans are not being blocked
    - make sure that the ambient temp is not too warm/hot (a heated room can greatly affect the temp of a notebook)
    - you can double check the heatsinks of the GPU to make sure they are secured
    - maybe you can just re-apply some thermal compound (like Arctic Silver) while you are in there

20. Gophn

Reputations:
    Hmm... that sounds strange.

did you make sure the RivaTuner Statistics Server is running before starting the Hardware Monitor window?

if so, then make sure that RivaTuner is "ran as administrator".... or disable UAC to see if the problem goes away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.