1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Monitoring Notebook Temps: nVidia & ATI, CPU, HDD - Do your temps worry you?

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by Gophn, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack53

jack53 Samsung Ultra Lover!

How do you know you burned up your gpu? What were you doing at the time?

Oh yes... welcome to the forum... this is a great place for info. :D

2. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

Thanks , the alienware's forum is decent, but I would say I got more info and help from here :)

I was playing C & C 3, the laptop shut down, ac adapter went blinking, and I can literally smell like something just got burned electrically. Contacted AW - Tech Support, with their help I opened the GPU slot, and there it is. I think the thermal paste between the heatsink and the gpu is almost gone and there's black stuff on the gpu.

It's been more than a year since I had my laptop and good thing I bought the two years warranty, I shipped it back to them after a week I got it back.

I haven't been playing ever since, I need to pay attention on maintaining it, too expensive if it's only going to last for two years :)

3. jack53

Let us know how hot that gpu is when you can.

4. Gophn

Gophn NBR Resident Assistant

The original should work best.

I recommend to get an earlier version of RivaTuner.

In the guide I used RivaTuner 2.0 RC 16

Note: newer version of RivaTuner dont always call it GPU Temp... it could be Core Temp or Temp xx.... etc...

5. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

Hi Gophn, I rollback my gpu driver and RivaTuner to 2.0 RC 16, but still cannot see any references to any core temperature or temperature. Does it have anything to do with BIOS or vBIOS version?

Also, is there a disadvantage if I run the fan (FN+F2) at MAX all the time even though I'm not gaming and just browsing the net?

Thanks again.

6. jack53

Well... I didn't know that! I learn something every day in here! :)

7. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

Hi Gophn:

I read through all the posts here and I think my GPU (6800 GO ULTRA 256 MB) doesn't have a thermal sensor on it. I'm going to try last one option, that is to flash and update my BIOS.

I saw your post regarding getting the BIOS from Eurocom: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=141312, I went on it but it requires a username and a password on downloading the 1.00.09 and the keyboad bios. I include a screenshot just in case.

Thanks again for all your insights.

Attached Files:

8. Gophn

I would try nTune if you havent yet.. that will pretty confirm if it has a temp sensor or not.

9. MainEvent

MainEvent Notebook Consultant

Notebook Hardware Control doesn't display any temp reading for my Toshiba 80GB SATA harddrive. Do I need to tweak some settings or does my HD not have a sensor?

10. Gophn

You should also try these (for HDD):
    - Everest
    - HWmonitor

11. deepogs76

deepogs76 Newbie

I gave it a try, still can't see temperature details. I attached the pics. I think my option now is to either upgrade my gpu with a sensor. Any idea on the Eurocom bios login?

Thanks so much really for your suggestions and assistance.

Attached Files:

12. Gophn

The motherboard BIOS will not matter... because that for the motherboard... not for the videocard.

13. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins Notebook Geek

After I installed the Service Pack for Vista, the Notebook Hardware Control won't let me change the CPU settings, for when I want to change it, (Dynamic Switching, Battery Optimized, etc).

Is anyone else having this problem?

14. 68685

68685 Newbie

When I run the RivaTuner GPU temperature monitor and GPU-Z, I get two different numbers, roughly 10 apart. I'm wondering which one is more reliable. I hope its GPU-Z because its cooler and I could then enter the average difference into the RivaTuner offset.
    [​IMG]

15. Gophn

I would also recommend to check the temp with Nvidia nTune

then you should know which temp is more accurate.. and then offset Rivatuner if needed.

16. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

i just stareted using rivatuner to check my gpu temps since i have sli. rivatuner gives me 3 temp choices to monitor and i do not know which is which.

it has core temperature 0, core temperature 1, and core temperature. what is what here?

i ran some benchmarks and the core temperature 1 and core temperature readings were higher than the core temperature 0 reading.

17. monokuroboo

monokuroboo Notebook Enthusiast

I've been using NHC for a long time. got an old hp zd8000 (notorious for overheating issues.) If I leave it on in like.... 70-80 degree weather the HD can get up to 130 degrees F and the cpu to 160-165......

18. The_Observer

The_Observer 9262 is the best:)

Hi
    Since you have dual core CPU it's showing the temp of each processor and core temp is of the graphics card I believe.

19. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

i actually figured it out by disabling sli and seeing which temps were not going up when gaming.

"core temperature" and "core temperature 1" are both for one gpu as these temps are almost identicle and "core temperature 0" is for the other. i disabled sli in the game's profile and figured this out. "core temperature 0" reads about 10c lower than the others.

20. DJglass

DJglass Guest

Hi, I'm searching for an update for the bios also, and have the same problem with download permissions on that page. Does anyone have a copy of the files they can post?

Thanks,
    Damian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.