Modding the $600.00 Inspiron 5402

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Not-meee, Nov 30, 2020.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Why enable hibernation if your system boots in 10 seconds. That will be faster than hibernation, and no sense in writing to your SSD (TLC) when you don't have to.

saturnotaku likes this.
  2. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All my testing is for understanding Windows 10 and NVME, when all I have known is 10 and 15 year old tech, being retired now.

When I am done selecting what works best, it will be based on allowing memory to function well without need to hit the SSD as much. Though some activities will require hits to the SSD. As for hibernation, without it, there is no power saving when traveling with laptop in suspend. I did a test early with out hibernation, and processes kept running in background while lid was closed. It took until the background processes completed, allowing battery to run down. Not sure if it is Dell's power management with AC mode is active, that limits suspend without hibernation active.

Anyway, it seems that disabling everything is not required, even though the SSD is fast enough to make Windows fast without cache.

Actually I do like having the system speed to boot much like as if it was suspended when powering up. What's 5 seconds or what ever worth? It's all about not adding any unnecessary work on SSD, when ram can be utilized efficiently to balance it all out.

Tweakers will not look deep enough, all they see is speed improvement, not reliability. I am too old to play on the edge anymore. Just making everything as efficient as possible, when breaking down the components of operation. So it all can be assessed for better judgment in emplementation when enabled or kept disabled.

After all I have noticed with thumbnail cache a corruption can happen with keeping everything dissbled. So there is cause and effect. So far nobody has any info on what really works and why. It's all based on just turn this or that off, from Windows 7 days with hard drives. Now we are with Windows 10 and very fast NVME drives. What worked then, may not be the best now. It's all about give and take, a balance to make things efficient.