Modding the $600.00 Inspiron 5402

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Not-meee, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Now for why I chose the Samsung 980 Pro over the rest that's available. Over WD's top performer, the Samsung was less costly and was about as good. Though the main reason, from an engineering stand point is if for some odd reason Dell and other manufacturers skimp out on specs, the Samsung SSD should still prove better with limited cooling. Since there is a possibility of PCI-E being 3.0 on any given make and model laptop, using 50% duty cycle on a device made to run faster, will out perform a device that rates half the speed at full duty cycle. Think about that for a bit, most reviewing sites don't tell you that.

A second runner up was the WD Black

As for speed increase for video editing one could Mirror using Raid 0 or for every day use the second SSD for swap and secondary apps, like monitoring tools and back ground proceasing apps, that are not part of the Windows OS, and primary apps you task from. You may not see reason, but your allowing the system to truly multitask by splitting background caching and apps that launch with os to run on their own data channels. Depending on how much of a multitasker you are, it does make a difference.

I believe there will be LDDR4X-4266 ram modules in the near future, it all depends on 3rd party, like Crucial, Kingston and others to fill the void. Then there can be Chinese options as well. Since both AMD and Intel both allow the ram option with their mobile CPU line, it's something beyond niche market. A cheap and effective option to build faster and power efficient laptops and convertables.

Until I obtain the RAM, my only option is to add one more module into the system to allow the full potential of the laptop's overall performance. It's not the ram size that counts, it's mostly how the ram was configured. Ram size is only effective with apps that are memory intensive, or video requirements, such as dual displays and games. Most will say but increased ram size and it was faster. Well, most likely you only had one module in the system to begin with. A 2 x 4GB is faster than a 1 x 8, with its overall performance.

So that's that... will share more on the laptop configuration as I go. Right now my SSD, will be the first thing at my door.

2. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh, I decided to obtain a Samsung 970 Evo Pro to make some speed comparisons, for both dual drive and mirrored drive setups. The combo is the same price as one 1TB SSD, but you can't break a SSD in half and make it run. Ha! Both SSD cards are about the same on a PCI-E 3.0 system. With the Pro variant being more capable to push the limit of PCI-E 3.0, under extremes.

For PCI-E 4.0 having the plus SSD would not be beneficial. I figure since it's 50/50 on the PCI-E outcome, rather be safe on the 3.0 side as to dump extra money for nothing gained. If it's 4.0 I can still break even by selling 512GB oem drive and the 500 GB Evo plus being new.

The Evo Plus SSD will be used for OS, and most programs. The Pro SSD will be cache, video editing and memory resident apps that load during boot. I think the best mode for this laptop is with dual drives. If I had two 1TB SSD modules they would be mirrored. The tests is just for the fun of comparison with the system setup.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am using a kingston a400 SSD, I really can see paying a crap load more for not a huge bump in real world performance. I have 3 of these in systems now and all are working fast and reliably.

4. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep, that's why I took advantage of the discounts Samsung had on their SSD. It's always been since the begining. One large storage is a bottle neck. Glad that my laptop is ordered has 2 full sized M.2 slots. Back in the late 90s, it was common to see just about every detail on ordering. Now it's a freaking find Waldo. Unlike Android, Windows gives you the freedom to install a program anywhere, large enough to store it. So if you have multiple M.2 slots, use them.

Outside of the 50/50 hit or miss with PCI-E 4.0, there is not much one needs to do with this laptop for alleviating speed bottle necks. Just dump the weak SSD drive and build with good performing SSD for the speed you need. Ram is an option on the low power higher speed version. The easiest part of the way Dell setup memory is adding another ram module. For what ever reason they thought 12GB was the best option on the higher rated CPU, must have been selected by a 10 year old. Mixing 4 and 8 is a joke, both in memory requirements and slowing the memory down to just a single channel.

I guess 10 yeas from now, there will be thinner and lighter 2in1 systems to put this to shame. At least it will do better in the long run than the laptop I had between 2006 and 2017.

kojack likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't have a M2 slot. Just Sata. But hey, works and it's fast so there's that.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    LPDDR4X is soldered memory ...there wouldn't be such a module released as a standalone purchase.

Laptops are going to run the memory at the factory-set speeds. If Dell sells the laptop with DDR4-3200, that is what you need to buy to replace it. Even if you buy faster memory, it will still run at DDR4-3200.

Charles

7. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All ram is soldered on a board. So just because it's a bga ram does not mean it cannot be done on a sodimm module. Back when there was ram shortages, various types of packaging was used on DDR modules made for the particular package. I have seen some rams with their own discrete voltage supply on the ram module. It's not that complicated. The old IBM AT had piggy back rams in dip packages. Oddly enough they got around memory limitations at the time.

As for changing the speed of the ram on the bus, there are utilities that may allow changing for ram speeds, and voltages. I used one on my old laptop to speed up the limitation set in the bios.

Another thing is, Intel has one chip set for laptops in the 400 series that allows overclocking. Won't know what chipset is used until I do a system hardware check.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok so you are going to change ram soldiered to the board? let me know how it goes. I would love to do that with this 11 3000. I have a friend who is an x ray machine technician and professional solider'er.

9. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No its about a 3rd party like Crucial to make custom ram modules. Not me... I am not that tallented. I figure if more devices have the capability there will be memory made. Just a matter of time.

kojack likes this.
  10. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have found a laptop that has LDDR4X-4266 ram with the 11th gen i5. You can check out the Acer Swift 5 14". Problem is it's about $1,000. A bit more than I am willing to pay to mod. The bad news is they only give you a lousy 256GB drive for the price. The good news is that it has a 350nit display with 75% colour reproduction. That price must be for the display. After finding a review, that laptop is toast for any mods, outside of ssd. The one thing the ram does show well, is the speed improvement. Just a matter of time for modules to be made.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020