Modding My Cooler Master NotePal U3 PLUS

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by XiCynx, Oct 7, 2017.

1. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    joluke likes this.
  2. darkarn

darkarn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am thinking of getting this but I will like to use it at 0 degrees instead of the default elevation, and therefore am going to make/buy some legs to prop up the front of the pad. How high is that back "leg" exactly?

3. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I had a few laptops and coolers before...and it was a joke really...only thing they are good for is elevating the laptop so it can breathe. Thats OK. Few degrees probably.
    So Im into upgrading this AW17 and THE thing I wanted sorted out 1st was cooler.
    So i got:
    ** 2 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 3000RPM High Performance Fan 78,36 USD
    ** Noctua NA-FC1 Lüftersteuerung / fan controller + Noctua 16x NA-SAV4 Anti-Vibration Mounts + 12V 18W 1.5A Adapter 40,85 USD
    ** Cooler Master U3 OFC 42 USD

TOtal spent: 161,21 USD.

(btw. Noctua - what a company! I bow down to everything you do!!!)

Mind u, these are Croatian prices off ebay, yes, we r EU, no, we r not normal.

I went for 2*140mm coz it seemed to me it would fit the AW17s grills better, maybe I'm wrong but there u have it.
    Cutting the holes was bit of a PITA, just make sure you wash the damn thing and make the edges smooth.
    Fitting was not just perfect but its OK I guess, those holes are all right mostly.
    I use the keyboard so I wanted the front end to be low, that made me lose the rubber mounts on the low side so it didn't touch the table.
    I used superglue to fit the controller, it seems solid and the position is natural for me to joggle rpm.
    I was concerned with the noise and vibrations but there is NO vibrations and the noise is low. Except for the full throttle, but still, no biggie.
    Very pleased.
    The temps are off by 7-8'C so I am very, very, pleased with what I have done and I would certainly recommend this procedure.

5. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all!
    Here's an update after using this contraption for few days...
    I don't know of, or haven't seen any mention viewing all u3 mod posts about correct placement of the laptop on the fans. As I said earlier, I've got two 140mm fans, and opted for that coz it looked good covering the grill area almost fully. I can see most of you use three fans and the placement is more to the upper side. Anyhow, I drilled u3 as I did and put it to use.
    Temps dropped - obviously.
    I don't do benches so I prefer to look at temp behaviour in a game I play.
    So what was once like 74c became 66 on average. I look at mostly flat area of the temp graph in HWinfo. Peaks of few degrees on top of that can happen but that's for a brief moment and I don't count that.
    Ambient temp is 22. I have stock heatsinks and Kryonaut paste on cpu/gpu applied recently.
    My AMD card still has 5yo stock thermal pads which are a disaster, dirty, misplaced and whatnot.
    Cpu fan is aftermarket turbo fan 10,x cfm (or so the seller said but I wouldnt bet on it) and GPu is stock, 1,x cfm crap. To top the crap, they are (still) controled by Dell EC:bigconfused: and we all know how good that is.

Now, to the point...what I have noticed while fiddling about running fans in given constelation (Watch your fingers coz these babies CAN saw your arm of:eek:f!!!) was that the airflow was much stronger at the center to down part than at the top third. So I moved the laptop down as can be seen in the picture.
    And whadya know - those temps went DOWN too!
    I mean, CPU in the game is like idle temps before, 48c!??
    GPU - flat 60c!
    IMG_3273.JPG
    I suppose the two fans next to each other create like a rogue wave of airflow in the center making it real powerfull.
    OH, wait for it! - this all happens at some 75% Noctua fans rpm!
    3000 is loud, not insane loud as I thought it would be but one would want to have headphones on.
    This is good for everybody using laptop keyboard coz its more down, closer.
    Then again, if you have your fan tuners in that part its not.

So thats it from me, Ill get back when I change Gpu fan, do pwm wire cut mod, change thermal pads and....GOd knows!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Fire Tiger and MagicMike like this.
  6. Devid

Devid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good idea 3 of Noctua NF-12 fan .
    With my NotePal U2 using 3 fan Thermaltake 120mm and work pretty good.

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

7. Devid

Reputations:
    Thermaltake rgb fan 120mm...[​IMG][​IMG]

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are the fans pwm? With a regulator or fixed rotation rpm? Can you share the items to control the fans? In amazon

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Devid

Reputations:
    joluke and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Spartan likes this.