Modded NVIDIA drivers for Windows

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Vasudev, Dec 9, 2018.

1. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's okay, I'm the one getting helped after all ;)
    errm, when I replace this into my system bios and flash it, I got this
    [​IMG]
    I think this is because I extracted the vbios module rom by phoenixtool but doesn't replace the module rom back using it? :confused:
    Sorry to put you through all this but, can you recommend the best way to extract the original vbios out? I know of using MMTool, UEFITool and PhoenixTool but seems like they don't work well with one another :confused:
    In the mean time, can I just copy the Power Table from the one you modded into another vbios and test it that way? Or is there more modification that isn't done in the BIOS Tweaker? o_O

Edit: so I went and tried anyway, I'll attach the one I tried to mod if you want to check if that's enough :oops: but it doesn't seem right to me, and after I flashed it and test with the game, I still got those clock drops but GPU-Z doesn't say it's Power Throttling anymore o_O
    [​IMG]
    This is really weird :confused: I'll attach another "stock" vbios again, this time pulled from UEFITool :oops:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and Vasudev like this.
  2. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is good news to me :) I expected that but I just wanted to see if it was reporting PowerLimit or not ;) this happens because I raised TDP too high but seems the GPU itself doesn't want that :D because there must be a reasonable TDP limit as it depends on many factors not just GPU:cool: like.. PCI-e slot, PCI Connectors and Pins :)

I think we are working to the right direction here :cool: I will look at it again and will raise the TDP limit but not too much or high;)

By the way.. UEFITool is the best for replacing and extracting (through personal experience) ;) and I'm glad that you did it :)

Honestly this is the most challenging vBIOS I have ever faced :eek::D really 840m VBIOS is built as full locked down on mind + it's not just like 900m series GPUs (that can be easily modified specially the voltage control options) :rolleyes:

I decided that I need to finish the TDP first and get done with it and then I will unlock voltage control options :cool: TDP is my target now... I will give you another vBIOS to test as soon as possible and see if there's any core or memory clocks dropping ;)

Can you open GPU-Z, click on the "?" beside the Bus Interface entry in the main tab, click on "Start Render Test" in the window that pops, and let the test run while you switch GPU-Z to "Sensors" tab. Click the VDDC dropdown arrow, choose "Show Highest Reading" and give me a screenshot or tell me what do you see? :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    pipyakas likes this.
  3. pipyakas

Reputations:
    Well I can, but isn't it depend on what vbios Im currently running? o_O I swapped back to my daily 1215mhz @0.975V after all the tests and GPU-Z is just showing the same thing that way (sometimes it starts off a bit higher but then settle down to exactly that)
    [​IMG]
    So not all vbios was built equally then, because with the previous mentioned Acer Aspire E5-572G, they had a variant with the 940MX and can just adapt its modded vbios back and it still works, with all unlocked features intact :oops:
    I ran the GPU at 1259mhz-1.131V (stock voltage and +135mhz OC) for about a year before those clock drops shows up, and this is actually a common issue (reported here, fix here)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Thanks :) after I get back to home from work.. I will work on your VBIOS :cool:

And Yes :) 840m VBIOS have different versions and you even might find a Kepler version of 840m VBIOS and a Maxwell version of 840m so... indeed not all VBIOS are equal due to OEM changes many configuration and setups :)

pipyakas likes this.
  5. pipyakas

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    Also, I don't quite understand the point of using GPU-Z's render test? o_O this is with the vbios modded to the same Power Table as the one you sent me to test out, and both at stock core clock/voltage and max OC/voltage, it doesn't trip the clocks one bit
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    But as soon as I try some of the games I noted to have that problem, it's still there (Furi, GTA5, MGS5, CSGO etc...)
    [​IMG]

6. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there any way to tweak the power limits for Pascal GPUs?

7. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    I asked for it just to know what is your maximum voltage that the 840m GPU can handle so that after we finish the TDP limit issues I can start immediately unlocking the voltage slider so that you can have range of voltage adjustment to be available for you whenever you open any OC supported software so that you can overvolt or undervolt through software either Msi afterburner or Nvidia inspector... both will work ;) I gotta be proactive here ;)

I love & I always to use Nvidia Inspector because it just overclocking my GPU on the start-up and closes automatically and I use TS (ThrottleStop) for GPU+CPU monitoring on the taskbar :cool:

pipyakas likes this.
  8. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    As long as you got unlocked main BIOS... anything is possible :)

I never really got a chance to deal with Pascal vBIOSs or even experience with it :D I really have no idea for Pascal VBIOS but according to my knowledge.. there's no tools yet created to mod Pascal VBIOS due to Nvidia VBIOS encryption :oops: and I won't buy any laptop with Pascal GPU on it that can't be modified... even it is the high end GPU :p

anything with word (stock) irritates me :D
    I love words like (mod, modified, tweaked,etc.... ) :D

9. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and Vasudev like this.
  10. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    notice.... you can only flash it through SPI programmer :) but thanks! :) wow! :eek: I never knew this tool existed ! but it is made only for those who know what SPI programmers is.... :rolleyes:

Try this one... and let me know.. I think I successfully did it theoretically :cool: it only needs testing from you ;) so... if it still throttling your clocks... then I will begin to doubt or suspect that there is a hardware issue not software :)

but this is really my max limit to help if it didn't work... :oops:

Attached Files:

Vasudev and pipyakas like this.