Modded NVIDIA drivers for Windows

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Vasudev, Dec 9, 2018.

1. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to unlock mod a Maxwell 1 gpu? o_O I already have to mod my vbios for undervolting to happen (by tricking it to higher max boost clock, doing so cause "stock" clocks to run at a much lower voltage) but it doesn't seem to act like those unlocked vbios :oops: and the tools are for Maxwell2 gpus so I guess something just can't be done even those I have access to my bios

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  2. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Google is your friend:)

it all depends on your GPU and your laptop and your BIOS... as VBIOS is within the BIOS Laptop... so you need to unlock your Main BIOS first before messing with the VBIOS. Anything is possible when you have unlocked BIOS :cool:

You might even mod your Maxwell 1 GPU through using Maxwell 2 GPU tools ;)

Once again anything is possible once you have unlocked main BIOS... :)

Vasudev and c69k like this.
  3. pipyakas

Reputations:
    I did Google-d for a bit, and my 840M does have the capability to be bios-modded to unlock TDP
    And I can flash modded system bios (with unlocked options in the bios setup) with modded vbios as well, I just can't find the guide or tutorial to mod unlocking the TDP myself o_O most of the topics online only discuss the more widely used gaming models and only provide pre-modded bios, no instructions
    For example, I found a modded bios for another laptop here that has a unlocked vbios for my 840M
    But then when I extracted it and replace it into my bios, most of the time the GPU doesn't recognize the bios and nothing worked o_O

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and Vasudev like this.
  4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    That is really good;) now we can talk :cool: first of all.... using vBIOS from different model of your laptop will always won't work due to different motherboard configurations and setup... you need to extract your stock VBIOS from your unlocked BIOS and then use Maxwell II GPU tools to modify TDP and core and memory clocks with voltages (I'm sure you know what I am talking about) :) then test...

I would also warn you that if your BIOS both UEFI & CSM compatible then it is highly likely that your VBIOS GPU contains both CSM module & UEFI module... so there's no guaranteed way to know which module are you modding it..:oops: when modding your VBIOS.. test it by switching BIOS settings to CSM or UEFI and look if your GPU is recognized or not :)

Try digging deeper with UEFI Tool to find your VBIOS either CSM or UEFI module. But it is recommended to always mod your VBIOS UEFI module :) or both :cool:

From my personal experience I modded both VBIOS CSM & UEFI module to just to have a peace of mind :)

I have known the VBIOS location from Voltground.com (which is now closed website) but there's someone who recovered the way of finding the VBIOS in your main BIOS here.. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105366-G551jw-gpu-throttling-fix-mods-voltground-solution

If you could find your stock VBIOS from your unlocked BIOS then I can help you to mod your VBIOS by extracting the module file and sending it to me and I will unlock your tdp , voltage control, and increasing the OC rang limit ;):cool:

pipyakas and Vasudev like this.
  5. pipyakas

Reputations:
    I actually extract the vbios out from the system bios using a guide on this forum here for years now, but only to undervolt (by raising the max table clock), but the removing TDP/Thermal/135mhz OC limit is the thing that's not apparently obvious yet and I can't figure it out :oops: also the memory clock OC can't be baked in either
    Attached is my stock vbios extracted from the stock system bios, really appreciated it if you can unlock it :) my very first thread posted in this forum was also about my power limit throttle problem (which I found the way to compensate it by undervolting on here as well)
    Edit: just to be clear, I used to extract the module by MMTools but the one attacted is from a dump using phoenixtool, although I checked and they can be replace freely in UEFITool so I guess either would work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    I will look at it once I get back home.. ;)

Edit....
    everything went well and smooth with editing your VBIOS and unlocking it.. so..
    I have modded your VBIOS with unlocked voltage sliders (including very very small some fine-tuning voltage) & OC'ed + 50 ~60 Mhz on core clocks (very small non-significant OC) :cool: and I raised the TDP limit :) so... test it out ;) I am sure that my OC & Voltage changes won't cause any kind of stability issues :) yet... I always recommend to use any kind of OC software (like MSI Afterburner, NvidiaInspector, etc...)

but...be careful...
    YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING HERE... I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF ISSUES OR PROBLEMS OR EVEN IF IT BURNED YOUR HOUSE

I'm just warning you here.. :D but I'm sure you know the risks :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Vasudev, jaybee83 and pipyakas like this.
  7. pipyakas

Reputations:
    Well, first off, seems like I made a huge mistake :oops: one vbios I sent you seems to be the one that I modded for daily use, so it had my OC-UV on it (1215mhz at 0.975V) and changes I made that didn't stick anyway (100C temp target and 1080mhz memory OC - this is what made me realize I sent the wrong one because no way you know that I can stably reach 1080mhz memory). I also touched the power table tab, so I don't know if it ruined anything with your mod :confused:
    That aside....
    This is how it looks when my GPU constantly hit the power limit, causing it to drop clock, jump back up to max, realize it's still being pinned with the same load, and drop the clock again
    [​IMG]
    how it looks like in gameplay
    [​IMG]
    This is after I flashed your modded vbios, so maybe fixing it is not happening? :confused: and when I blast the GPU with 1.2V, it still hit thermal throttle at around 80C, so that's not working from the vbios either. Is this due to the system bios?
    Also, about the voltage slider, I think it stay the same, and it retained a small quirk too: at first after boot or idle with no load, the voltage slider in Inspector is correct and shows like this
    [​IMG]
    adding 25-400mv to 0.8V, pretty simple
    But after load it would changes to this
    [​IMG]
    which actually is the same values, but the number showing in Inspector doesn't match what showing in GPU-Z anymore
    Anyway, thanks for your help :D I attached the "correct" stock vbios this time, can you checkk if that makes any differences at all? How about setting the TDP limit to infinite? (although my hope is kinda dwindled at this point)
    Im aware of the risks (too high temps/voltages, burning the GPU/MB etc...but at the same time wanna reach as high as it can go, so if you can unlock everything there shouldn't be any worry :oops:

Attached Files:

8. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Oh wow... I thought this one was the stock ones as you said last time :D no problem... :) I will look at as soon as possible:)

it might be the reason that was not working because it was already messed with it ;) that's why I asked a stock VBIOS at first place :) thanks for providing the screenshots.. that will really help;)

I will look at it as soon as possible:)

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is how modded j95 driver should be installed according to j95.
    Copy all the inf files according to system specs such as Optimus or DGPU. I'm using Optimus so device manager events for 980M should look similar to my config:
    [​IMG]

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and jaybee83 like this.
  10. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Alright.. sorry for being so late.. busy life :D anyway.. I couldn't mod everything because I didn't have time to do so... I only modded the TDP limit and OC'ed your core clock speed :) I want you to test & see if you still suffer from PowerLimit throttling issues or not.. if no more throttling then I can continue to unlock voltage control and the rest.. :cool: the file is on the attachment... :)

Attached Files:

Vasudev and pipyakas like this.