Modded NVIDIA drivers for Windows

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Vasudev, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    why would someone install these over? If they promise so much perfomance they must be tweaking some settings, which ?

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's also interesting that if they improve things this much why doesn't nVidia use these settings from the outset? It's not like nVidia are idiots that don't know how to configure a driver. Sure there's bugs in drivers, but also building software drivers for windows (especially high performance gaming) is HARD with so many variables and system config combinations. Perhaps stability/compatibility reasons? But then why not just have settings per GPU? They would definitely want better performance/playability to keep people from buying AMD. My guess is YMMV for games vs benchmarks vs what program are you running vs what GPU you have vs etc...

Zymphad and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't know what they tweak but I'll try it out. Last time I tried @j95 which was buggy for most people actually worked flawlessly. I'm using stock drivers now since toggling between Secure and Legacy boot wrecks my TPM driver and so far no issues.
    I'll try both modded drivers from XG and j95.

jaybee83, 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and macmyc like this.
  5. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wanted to reply here just to keep it separated from the main official driver ;)

Well.. I'm afraid that you gotta do it by yourself :) in my case benchmarking will affect my GPU alot and it may fry it because it is overvolted :) putting unusual stress or doing unrealistic stress that you will never achieve it on gaming sessions it is dangerous especially while overvolting... I'm not prepared to fry my GPU to prove it :D

But here's what I observed comparing between official ones vs XG...
    -Less microstutters
    -Higher OC Potential (Gives me additional 50 ~ 90 MHz more OC) with the same overvolt (I use +75mv) going higher voltage gives me black screen
    -Higher FPS [Not significant-(YMMV)] (due to less stuttering I guess you feel that you are playing at higher frame rate :D)
    -Less latency per a frame (Means smoothie gameplay) ;)

A happy user have seen the difference also because of using XG modded drivers :)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-owners-lounge.797884/page-800#post-10824002

I know the performance tweaks is kinda obsolete but it have the ability to be stable more than official ones specially when playing with volts & OC frequency :cool:

At the end.... you will not see a significant difference (but it doesn't mean the difference is not there ;) ) while on stock frequency between Official drivers & XG but you will immediately see the difference once playing with the volts or frequency or both!

So....... Hail to XG forever! And I hope they continue providing up to date drivers for as long as they can :)

TheDantee, Vasudev and c69k like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Would be very interesting see a comparison of stock, j95, and XG, especially:

frame rates
    frame times
    clocks/overvoltage/undervoltage capability
    image quality
    micro stutter

Unfortunately I don't have time right now to do this due to finals =[

Vasudev likes this.
  7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    dude, u left out j95 drivers :)

in any case, +rep for the idea of a separate thread, it was getting indeed a bit cluttered haha :p gonna take some work though to keep this up to date ;)

Vasudev and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  8. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't know why but I can't install XG drivers, downloaded 417.01 and 416.94 (both are notebook driver) but it always fails to install graphic driver :confused:.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Vasudev and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  9. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Disable driver signature :) since it's a modified driver (modded) ;)

jaybee83, Vasudev and tungd678 like this.
  10. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for reminding me about that. I just found out that disable driver signature in Advanced Startup option isn't permanent :p.
    Downloading the driver right now :).

p/s: This is what I got using 416.94 pure desktop driver: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17373089

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and Vasudev like this.