Modded Clevo P870DM-G / N173HHE-G32 Pannel Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by runix18, Jun 25, 2021.

1. runix18

runix18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Got a modded P870DM-G with a Clevo GTX 1070 MXM, and after extensive search on the forums I cannot find a definitive answer on Chimei N173HHE-G32 panel compatibility with Clevo P870DM-G.

I saw that N173HHE-G32 has 4 revisions (c1, c2, c3, c4), which is the best revision?

Does it work on stock bios (provided that 40 pin EDP cable is in set)
    Does it need a bios mod and so does a tutorial on how to add compatibility exists?

I already know that Gsync will NOT work.

Thx for the help.

2. runix18

Reputations:
    UP.
    Nobody?

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    So long as the connector is the same pin count eDP it will be electrically ok.

thewizzard1 likes this.
  4. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you need the panel, I have one that I'd be willing to sell to you at a lower price than what they usually go for :)

5. runix18

Reputations:
    Thx for the answer. My question is whether it will post / have support in bios / black screen after restart / brightness control etc.

I am aware that maybe it will work if a flash dsanke TM bios mod for DMG, because the 870TM had support for that panel, but that bios mod came with a lot of problems for the DM and has no immediate use because I have a 6700k and clevo 1070.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If the connector fits it will boot and display. Brightness and g-sync can be a bit more tricky.

7. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Panels work regardless of chassis as long as they physically fit, edp pins are able to be connected, and the CPU/GPU support the resolution.

Outside of that the niche features may/not work depending on other variables such as v/bios & whitelisting.

If you grab hwinfo and compare your current panel / new panel on panelook.com and they match up closely for pins/electrical you should be good to take a stab at it and having it work.

This comes from someone that did a FHD >> 4K unsupported upgrade and have everything working.

8. runix18

Reputations:
    This is the comparison between the 2 : https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=21056,28924

Some mismatch between the lg and inolux at lamp voltage where the LG (the current panel) is at 5,5v and the innolux needs 8v. This is the only major difference, electrically speaking.

9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As for the min/max voltage they're in line. To be expected when increasing the output.

Also, going from 30P to 40P which could cause an issue if you can't find a 40P cable that works with your particular laptop. For that you need to hunt down the service manual and see if one was produced to get the model # to find one.

10. runix18

Reputations:
    Already had the cable ordered.