Modded 197.16 Hybrid Graphics Driver for UL30/50/80VT

Discussion in 'Asus' started by itaru, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nautis

Nautis Switchable Graphics Guy

Reputations:
    The Alienware M11x users just got 197.16 working on their Hybrid Graphics notebooks using a very similar method to yours itaru.

2. rosenmi2

rosenmi2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a UL80vt, which drivers should I use for running games? The 191 drivers from Nautis, the 197 drivers or the Dox 195 drivers?

I've been using the Dox drivers and games run much faster than with the stock drivers but it sucks having broken hybrid graphics because I like having the battery life when I need it.

It seems like everyone here just makes comparisons to the stock drivers but at this point we have several options and I'm guessing for games that the Dox ones are still the best but what do you all think?

3. lotsabs

lotsabs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Regarding OpenGL. I most recently tried 197.16 hybrid via itarus method (UL80Vt) and noted the same. No support for OpenGL above 2.x either (Per GPU caps viewer anyway). Also ran into a few other problems: Seems that sometimes when waking from sleep, it would wake using the nvidia driver even if it was put to sleep on the Intel driver...I also had a bluescreen twice when waking, and when cold booted my machine would take an extra 30-45 seconds longer than normal to boot into windows (all the while looking at a blank, black screen). Funny, but once it finally got to windows, all seemed OK.
    I am currently rolled back the stock Asus Drivers, but may soon try 197.16 with the latest .inf. I'll keep ya posted.

Thx to all involved for all of your input and hard work-you're getting there!

4. Nautis

Reputations:
    When using Itarus method do the drivers need to be signed before they work?

5. lotsabs

lotsabs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No, you are given a warning but can click thru it.

6. Nautis

Reputations:
    Very interesting. I am really confused at how this is working honestly. If driver files are changed, as they clearly are in this case, and they do not match the certificate windows 64bit should not even be loading the drivers.

7. o8x8

o8x8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are few components for windows driver signing:
    inf (tells which cat and sys files to use)
    cat (contains checksum on both inf and sys)
    sys (has its own signature embedded in the file, this is what windows used to check at boot time)

in the mod inf case, sys file is not changed, so only a warning shows because cat file not matching with inf.

whql process takes inf and sys files and return a cat file.

8. o8x8

o8x8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for optimus, I plan to give asus driver for u30jc a try on ul30vt. Just saw they put up intel 2102 and nvidia 189.64.
    188.71 and intel 2104 didn't work for me, just getting blank or flickering screen when nvidia suppose to be on.

9. Nautis

Reputations:
    Ah indeed, that makes sense. I forgot that you guys are keeping the regular Intel drivers so the signature of course still works. Changing the intel drivers to 1994 of course breaks it.

08x8 do the 2000 series Intel drivers work on your Asus? EDIT: Nevermind you have already confirmed that it does.

10. itaru

itaru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for missing in action these last few days. I've been busy with work this week but I still lurk here. :) Quite a lot of development going on with the hybrid and Optimus drivers. Keep up the good work guys!

I haven't had a chance to do anything more with updating the Nvidia part, but I did try updating the Intel drivers to the latest 2104. I've managed to install my modded Nvidia 197.16 + Intel 2104 on my UL80VT, but whenever I switch to Intel I just get a black screen and can't switch back. I guess it's due to the LVDS Muxing problem that Nautis mentioned a while back. Oh, I didn't have to sign the drivers to get Windows to install the modified driver even with the Intel updated. All I did was use the igdlh.cat file from Intel driver 2104 instead of the original nvmvam.cat file in the modified INF and that did the trick.

I tried reverting just the igdkmd64.sys file to the original driver (1855) while keeping all the rest of the Intel files from version 2104, and I could switch to Intel and back again to Nvidia successfully. Unfortunately, the Intel graphics lost all hardware acceleration (no Aero, DirectX, Direct3D, etc.). At the moment I've given up on getting the Intel 2104 drivers to work on my UL80VT, and have gone back to my stable modified 197.16 hybrid driver.

As for lotsabs non-working OpenGL using my modified 197.16 hybrid driver, it seems to be working on mine. GPU Caps Viewer detects OpenGL 3.2 and GLSL 1.50 when using Nvidia, and I can run all the OpenGL demos there just fine. When in Intel mode, it detects OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.20, and it can only run a little less than half of the OpenGL demos, and much slower than the Nvidia of course. I'm not sure why OpenGL was not working on lotsabs' notebook, but it should work unless the OpenGL files weren't copied properly. A clean installation (uninstall old drivers and run DriverSweep, etc.) with version 3 of my modified INF will hopefully fix that if you still want to try updating to the modified 197.16 driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.