Modded 197.16 Hybrid Graphics Driver for UL30/50/80VT

Discussion in 'Asus' started by itaru, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itaru

itaru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The following is a step-by-step guide on how to create and install a modified hybrid driver for the UL30/50/80VT notebooks based on the latest Nvidia 197.16 notebook driver. This driver is for Windows 7 64-bit ONLY, and it only updates the Nvidia drivers, not the Intel integrated drivers.

DISCLAIMER: This procedure is only an exercise out of curiousity for those interested in tweaking their UL30/50/80Vt. Those who care about getting work done on their notebooks should NOT do this. The best problem-free and stable driver is the original Asus 186.88 hybrid driver, and know that if you decide to perform this following procedure, things can go horribly wrong on your notebook. If you don't know your way around computers and Windows, do not perform this procedure. This modified hybrid driver is provided as is, and is far from being a well-tested piece of software. It's currently working just fine on my notebook, but it may ruin yours. I claim no responsibility if the procedure ruins your notebook somehow.

If the procedure is successful on your notebook, you will have an updated 197.16 driver with OpenCL, CUDA, PhysX, and DirectCompute perfectly working. However, none of those features are actually useful at the moment. You will also supposedly get hardware-acceleration on Flash HD movies, but this has not been confirmed for certain (UPDATE: I have confirmed hardware-accelerated Flash HD movie support with Flash 10.1 Release Candidate). You may get increased performance in some games, but don't expect any miracles. I can tell you that after updating from 186.88 to 197.16, my 3DMark06 score has jumped from 3460 to 3650 (no overclocking involved), but YMMV.

NOTE: To those who've used my previous versions of the INF file from my posts in the UL30VT Owner's Lounge, this latest one (version 3) is significantly different from my previous versions. Other than adding (now working) OpenCL and PhysX support (thanks to PeteNatas for PhysX support hack), I've synchronized the registry settings with the regular 197.16 INF file so that's why I can now get 3650 in 3DMark06 with this new modified INF which is a 100 point increase from my previous attempts. However, since it is significantly different from the previous versions, it may also cause more problems as I have not fully tested it. You have been warned. I can say that it's currently working perfectly fine on my notebook though, but I make no guarantees that it will work fine on yours.

At the moment I have no problems with the modified 197.16 driver, but reported problems with 197.16 from other people who have tried my previous versions include:
    - Non-standard resolutions which work just fine in 186.88 will not work in 197.16
    - Possible stability problems during restore from sleep/hibernation
    - Possible problems with switching between integrated and discrete using the GraphX boost button
    - Possible that it just will not work on your notebook, and there's a chance you may have problems uninstalling it to go back to original Asus hybrid driver

If after reading all the above you're still set on updating to 197.16, read on. :)

Preparation: Make sure you have downloaded the original Asus hybrid driver from Asus download page and the 197.16 notebook driver package from Nvidia. Make sure you also have a currently working hybrid driver. As a precaution, create a system restore point so that if things go wrong, you can perform a system restore. If you don't know how to create a system restore point, then you should stop right now as the following procedure is too risky if you don't know what you're doing. Finally, download the nvmvam_inf_v3.zip file attached below this post which contains modified INF file to perform the proper installation of files. UPDATE: Download the ASUS VGA Patch from Asus download page in order to clean out and reset the graphics cards.

Here's the procedure (for Windows 7 64-bit version):

UPDATE: If you don't want to create your own modified hybrid drivers, Nautis has created a driver package which has the necessary modifications done to update the drivers to 197.16. By using Nautis' driver package, you can skip steps 1 through 8 and go directly to step 9 to install the driver package. Thanks goes to Nautis for putting the driver package together and hosting it on his site. I haven't personally tested it yet, but I believe it works. If it doesn't work on your notebook, please blame Nautis and let him know. :D
    Here's the download link and his original notes:
    Unofficial Win 7 64bit [Nvidia: 197.16 | Intel: 1855 ] for Asus_UL3/5/80VT
    - Full Package
    - INF based on Itarus v3 with additional extras by Nautis
    - DriverVer still same as the original for compatibility sake
    Note: Due to DriverVer being the same as the original the device manager and some software may identify the drivers as 8.15.11.8688. Check Nvidia Control Panel System Information for correct driver versions.

1. Extract the 197.16 notebook driver package to a new folder, let's call it Nvidia. I used Winrar for extraction, but any method is fine as long as you get all the files extracted correctly. And make sure you use the notebook version of the 197.16 driver, not the desktop version. The filename should be 197.16_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql.exe.

2. Extract the original Asus hybrid driver package to a new folder, let's call it Hybrid.

3. Copy the following 35 files (please do count them) from Nvidia folder to Hybrid\Display folder, replacing any existing ones if they exist: DPInst.ex_, nvapi.dl_, nvapi64.dl_, nvcod.dl_, nvcompiler.dl_, nvcompiler32.dl_, NvCplSetupInt.exe, nvcuda.dl_, nvcuda32.dl_, nvcuvenc.dl_, nvcuvenc64.dl_, nvcuvid.dl_, nvcuvid32.dl_, nvd3dum.dl_, nvd3dumx.dl_, nvdecodemft.dl_, nvdecodemft32.dl_, nvencodemft.dl_, nvencodemft32.dl_, nView.cab, nviewsetup.exe, nvinfo.pb, nvinit.dl_, nvinitx.dl_, nvlddmkm.sy_, nvoglv32.dl_, nvoglv64.dl_, nvudisp.exe, nvumdshim.dl_, nvumdshimx.dl_, nvwgf2um.dl_, nvwgf2umx.dl_, OpenCL.dl_, OpenCL64.dl_, modes.txt

4. Copy the PhysX_9.10.0129_SystemSoftware.msi file from the Nvidia folder to the Hybrid\Display folder.

5. Extract the nvmvam.inf file from the downloaded nvmvam_inf_v3.zip attachment to the Hybrid\Display folder, making sure to replace/overwrite the existing original file.

6. Extract content of hdaudio_1.0.9.1_nforce_8.34_xp_vista_win7.exe in the Nvidia folder to a new folder, let's call it Audio.

7. Delete the HDAudio folder in the Hybrid folder.

8. Copy the HDAudio folder from the Audio folder to the Hybrid folder.

9. Make sure you're in Nvidia discrete graphics mode.

UPDATE:
    Before proceeding to the next step, it might be a good idea to uninstall and clean out the current graphics driver. You can use the following steps (thanks to cloveky for the procedure):

a) Use the Uninstall a program from the Windows Control Panel to uninstall NVIDIA Drivers and NVIDIA Display Control Panel, then do a restart.

b) Extract the ASUS VGA Patch to a folder, and run the silent.bat file which will remove and reset the graphics cards from the Windows registry. Don't forget to restart afterwards.

c) If you want to really clean out everything first, use DriverSweeper and Ccleaner. Google them both for links. If you've never installed any other modified hybrid drivers before, then this step is not necessary and you can go to step 10. If you have, this step may be important to clean out the junk from previous modified hybrid driver installations.

10. When you're ready to install the modified 197.16 hybrid driver, run setup.exe from the Hybrid folder, NOT from the Display folder.

11. Check both boxes for Nvidia Display Driver and Nvidia HD Audio Driver installation, and complete the installation. Make sure to choose Install Anyway (the bottom choice) if prompted when Windows complains that the drivers are not signed.

12. After installation is complete, do a manual reboot immediately (it may not ask for a reboot but you should reboot as soon as possible). If after the reboot you get 1366x768 resolution, then congratulations you have successfully updated to 197.16. If you get 800x600 resolution, then the procedure failed and you need to go back to original Asus hybrid driver. I recommend using the system restore point you created in the beginning.

13. If all goes well, go to Nvidia Control Panel and enable PhysX there. It is not automatically enabled because the G210M officially doesn't support PhysX, but my modified INF file adds the necessary setting to allow enabling GPU-accelerated PhysX but you still have to enable it manually from the Nvidia control panel.

14. Use GPU-Z to confirm that all 4 features are enabled, and driver version is listed as 8.17.11.9716. Perform your own testing on the driver, and please report back here if you encounter problems so that other people will think twice about doing what you've just done. :)

15. Finally, once you have a working modded hybrid driver, it's a good idea to zip/rar/archive the Hybrid folder so if you decide to try other hybrid drivers or need to reinstall Windows, you won't have to repeat the entire procedure all over again to install the modded 197.16 driver. :) After archiving it, you can safely delete the Hybrid, Nvidia, and Audio folders.

Good luck, and happy tweaking!

UPDATE 1:
    Seems like sometimes the PhysX runtime doesn't install automatically during the driver install. If GPU-Z says that PhysX is not supported even though you have already enabled PhysX in the Nvidia Control Panel, you need to install the PhysX runtime manually. Just go to the Hybrid\Display folder and double click the PhysX_9.10.0129_SystemSoftware.msi file to install it manually. If you want to install the latest version of PhysX, download it from http://downloads.guru3d.com/nVIDIA-PhysX-System-Software-9.10.0222-download-2490.html and install that one instead. Afterwards everything should be supported.

UPDATE 2:
    If after following the above procedure you still get the 800x600 resolution after reboot, there's one thing you can try to get it working. Edit the nvmvam.inf file in the Hybrid\Display using notepad, and look for the following line:

DriverVer = 03/16/2010, 8.17.11.9716

which should be near the top. Replace that line with the following line:

DriverVer = 08/28/2009, 8.15.11.8688

Save the file and repeat the procedure from step 9 to install the modified driver. Hopefully that will do the trick. Credit goes to AL008 for this fix. The only downside to this fix is that Device Manager will list the drivers as 186.88 but the driver files are updated properly.

Attached Files:

2. v00d00ley

v00d00ley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any possibilities to update intel integrated graphics driver as well? seems original one is quite old

3. itaru

itaru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If feedback is good on this modified driver, I may get around to that. I want to take a short break first since for the moment I've had enough of poring over INF files and sifting through registry settings, not to mention doing the testing which involves uninstalling and reinstalling a gazillion times. My poor UL80VT and I need to take a break. If someone else is willing to do the testing and modifying to update the Intel integrated graphics, please feel free to contribute here. :)

Speaking of testing, I did some testing of the hardware-accelerated Flash HD movie support. I played http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfWXRybZS4A&fmt=22 using Flash 10.1 Release Candidate with CPU at 1733MHz and I got average CPU usage of 25%. To disable Flash hardware acceleration, I uninstalled Flash 10.1RC and then installed regular Flash 10 which lacks hardware acceleration for HD movie, and I got average CPU usage of 45%. Conclusion: modified 197.16 does have real support for hardware-accelerated Flash HD movie with Flash 10.1RC.

4. Po$er

Po$er Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great work Itaru.

Thank you!

5. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    very nice write up, thanks for the info... I don't have this laptop, but do have a M11x with hybrid graphics, so very interesting information.

6. Po$er

Po$er Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can confirm that OpenCL is indeed supported now, great job Itaru (and thank you PeteNatas). I did not run the registry integration, but simply added the keys and dword values manually. Nonetheless, I can run the OpenCL demo in gpuCaps @ a blistering 11FPS :)

Excellent work. I am going to see how stable this is... then I may very well "repackage" my hybrid drivers using all of the information at hand, the new modded .inf (version 3_Itaru) and run a driver sweep to clean all defunct or confilicting registry entries. We will see.

But great work nonetheless. Hats off!

7. AL008

AL008 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Itaru, thanks for your detailed post. I am still gettin an error after i used your guide, the resolution is still 800 x 600. But i have tried changing your .inf file inside, changing the line where it has the date and also the driver version, back to the old asus .inf file line. This process has worked by just changing this line, I don't know why this would be so. Any ideas. Thanks.

8. twe69

twe69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not that I have an Asus UL**vt laptop to try this on or anything [as I almost bought one till I found out the jt's should be coming out soon] but have you guys checked out the download section for the UL80jt and UL30jt? They have newer drivers up, not sure if they might be compatible?

Just an idea....

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?content=specifications&P_ID=dh1loes9V1IGKwCA

9. AL008

AL008 Newbie

Reputations:
    The results I obtained using Performance Test 7.0 (64 bit) version with the new 197.16 was:

2D Graphics Mark: 181
    3D Graphics Mark: 257.3

However when compared with the previous driver, my results were:

2D Graphics Mark: 198.1
    3D Graphics Mark: 278.6

With the new driver;

2D Graphics Mark decreased by 9.5%
    3D Graphics Mark decreased by 8.3%

Anyone else have any benchmarks?

10. v00d00ley

v00d00ley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Idea is cool but those laptops are with nVidia Optimus - and that means drivers are different for the hybrid graphics and for the optimus (for the last - they need a bit special but very close to original drivers)

some other laptops - like dell alienware m11x and some new sony vaio z models also have hybrid graphics and I tried to adopt them to work with UL-VT but they are not working
    (the version 01/19/2010, 8.16.11.8880 for NV and 12/14/2009,8.15.10.2021 for the Intel )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.