Mobile workstation advice

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by HugoBoss, Sep 6, 2018.

1. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I need a new mobile workstation to take the place of my HP Zbook G1 (Intel i7 4800Mq, 16Gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro K2000M).
    What I need is as follows:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Around 3k US dollars

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d and or e: 15 to 17 inches
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Nice question, my choice for HP Zbook G1 was not my first choice, my first choice was the IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpad W540, but the delay of Thinkpad to reach the market was a dealbreaker at this time
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    NO

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    3D rendering of land surfaces, lot of ArcGIS work, PCI Geomatics, Photoshop, AI for book editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    NO

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I can live (or survive) with 4hs, but if better, I can surthrive

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Nice question, I'm now and I'll be in South America for a while, doing fieldwork, so I believe in your advices!

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Wide gamut, 4k if possible

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    512 or more

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Next two months
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-5 years? But who knows
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Not much, reliability is in the first place
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    If the laptop fails in the middle of the field, so I'm done, no way to quickly ship the laptop or whatever

2. Eclipse2016

Eclipse2016 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Replaced my Dell Precision M6800 and Lenovo Thinkpad P51 with an HP ZBook 17 G5 which meets all of your criteria.

3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any 15" or 17" laptop from the Dell Precision 7000, HP ZBook or Lenovo Thinkpad P series should meet all of your needs. Get a 5 year international next day warranty with your laptop.

Get a laptop with an 8th generation processor as they are 50% faster than the previous generation.

9ac3 likes this.
  4. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    As you are a Brand wide user, can I ask you to explain further why you decided to pull the trigger to HP?

5. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Regards

6. Eclipse2016

Reputations:
    Hi HugoBoss,

No, I had a good experience with HP's Z820 workstations and HP seemed like the only workstation maker to specifically revamp the cooling solution to accommodate the hotter 6-core chips, and make the fans quiet. HP also is the only workstation to accommodate 5 drives (with 2 x 2.5" drives), or a Blu-ray drive. The laptop also allows easy access to the fans and heatsink in case I wish to clean / re-paste in the future. Oh, and I wanted the Dreamcolor screen. Using Optimus I get about 8hrs of battery life. I bought a preconfigured laptop to cut down on expense and get faster shipping.

The only downside is that RAM slots 1 and 2 are mounted on the reverse side of the motherboard. Access to those requires disassembly of the entire laptop. So, one needs to optimally have HP populate those slots at the factory. RAM slots 3 and 4 are accessed via the tool-less slide-out bottom panel.

I had no end of problems with my previous Lenovo Thinkpad P51 (random BSODs) that eventually ended up with me being refunded.

Dell's lack of a 2.5" slot with large battery installed swayed me away from them: that and the horror story 7720 thread on this forum.

Let me know if you'd like to know anything else. Good luck with the purchase.

9ac3 and Grant B Gibson like this.
  7. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Eclipse2016,
    your experience with zbooks looks fine. Nevertheless, earlier at BH site HP Zbooks warned that they did not ship outside US...
    I'm right now in a huge archaeological place in Uruguay, and i'll be here for a while, so if HP don't ship outside US, maybe Lenovo could be my next choice (drones are already retrieving data as well as terrestrial LIDAR)…
    Any thoughts about MSI workstations?
    Regards

8. Eclipse2016

Reputations:
    I live outside of the US and I bought HP model 4RA00UT#ABA from BHPhoto. However, I had the laptop sent to my freight forwarder in Miami.

You can get the Lenovo from HIDevolution.com. They will customise it for you, repaste it and stress test it for you. They ship worldwide.

Yes, I looked at the MSI workstations as well. I ultimately decided not to go for that brand because of the lack of a worldwide next business day on-site tech support warranty. Only Dell, HP and Lenovo have those in my country.

Ultra Male likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    MSI Workstations are the best, check: MSI WT75

Also check HIDevolution's Lenovo choices: Lenovo

Not only do they ship worldwide, they also have a global warranty if you are willing to pay a little bit extra for it, that covers shipping costs if anything goes wrong with your laptop and you had to send it back to them for repairs, then they will pay for shipping

After you make a choice of which laptop you want, first email donald@hidevolution.com so he can tell you how to get the NBR Forum discount

Eclipse2016 likes this.
  10. africanleopard

africanleopard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would second a Lenovo - they are fairly indestructible and have a good warranty and international support - I am on my second Lenovo for work (my work gave me one), my old Lenovo is still going strong after almost 5 years and has done a lot of International travel.

The Dell Inspiron I used for work while contracting - the GPU broke just after the 4 year warranty was up. I have no experience with HP, so can't comment :)

Grant B Gibson likes this.