Mobile RX6000s in 2021

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by BrightSmith, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Makes sense, I dont follow the timeline but that does provide reasonable context.

Kind of a bummer since on the high end 5700XT can tangle with the 1080Ti, havent ran any tests at 115w though, maybe 1070Ti-1080 area?

2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With their successful mobile 5000 series AMD might get more invested in the laptop arena, especially when Intel launches its DG2.

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a strong feeling AMD is going to release their 6000 series for laptops and there is gonna be 2 laptops ready after a month they are available and then maybe at the end of the year they got a total of 6 laptops with their GPUs in them.

Its pretty clear nVidia got iron hands on the market much like Intel used to do, only way to break that is through shock therapy, total blitzkrieg and AMD aint gonna blitzkrieg any GPU market anytime soon.

I love AMD control panel over the archaic nVidia one, the fact you can overclock and do just about anything in one app, to me is convenient, with nVidia I need 3 software to get the same job done.

I will however say that, Alienware WILL use RX 6800M, Dell Alienware has ALWAYS offered AMD's highest performing Mobile GPU in their Alienware laptops in a limited offering, but an offering non the less, they were the ONLY company to offer R9 M295 and R9 M390 mobile GPU's in a laptop, only other ones to use it was Apple. They also offered the 5700M you people talked about earlier, in a limited number.

So its safe to say there will be an Alienware with RX 6800M, but these will be available very limited, probably just a few months and its gone. RX 5700M is not an option anymore at their site.

Clamibot, BrightSmith and JRE84 like this.
  4. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    That model looks impressive. Since it is the Strix instead of the Zephyrus it should not have soldered memory or wifi. Hopefully it has a mux switch as well but doubtful given what we see with the Nvidia variant.

I hope MSI is also preparing something (new Delta series?) with 5900HX / 6800M in a GE76 chassis. If that had a MUX it could be one of the better all-amd options in the last few years. Probably still not as great a cooling system as the Acer Predator Helios 500 AMD was, but maybe close.

JRE84 likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well fan-great point. if it has cooling like the helios I might consider it my next vr gaming rig..hard to believe I went from not caring about vr/amd/thin and light laptops too wanting even craving the forbidden apples

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    So AMD is naming the desktop 6700 XT the 6800M. Gotta play Nvidia's game I guess.

BrightSmith likes this.
  8. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is nothing new. Mobility Radeon HD 5870 = underclocked desktop HD 5770

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    its smaller what did you expect....thats like wondering why your laptop is more powerful than your cell phone....gee I wonder whos stronger this elephant or this squirrel
    [​IMG]

if you guessed squirrel im sorry

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  10. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah but it's got great big teeth and a mean streak a mile wide!

jc_denton and BrightSmith like this.